Review of The Clouds Still Hang

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jevonte Malik
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jevonte-malik.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of The Clouds Still Hang

Post by Jevonte Malik »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Clouds Still Hang" by Patrick C Notchtree.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Clouds Still Hang is a semi-fictional biography written by Patrick C. Notchtree that gives an insight into what the author's life looked like while growing up. That said, it takes us on a journey into his not-exactly-sweet experiences as a kid. His father got really affected by fighting in the world war, and his mother was emotionally unstable, weeping from time to time. Simon's challenges continued in school as he had to put up with different bullies, making him somewhat introverted. However, he found a glimpse of joy when he crossed paths with Daniel, his older friend.

The way this story addresses a societal problem on a personal level is what makes it so lovely. The author is entirely exposed to the reader's moral judgment because he has poured his heart and soul into this work. His emphasis on the negative impacts of bullying and the necessity for society to take a firm stand against it really touched me. The book's lesson on the negative consequences of bullying also pertains to homophobia, which is equally harsh and needs to be denounced in the same way. Also, I find the book's cover to be attractive. The author's idea of putting a rainbow up in the clouds on the book cover is brilliant.

This story is tragically touching and intimate, and since it examines the challenges of being in the LGBT community alongside the inescapable obstacles that impede this community's growth, individuals who are pro-LGBT and aware of their opinions on political orientation would easily become obsessed with this book. Also, and most importantly, because it contains sexually explicit material from the outset, I think I must emphasize that this narrative is not appropriate for young readers. In fact, readers below the age of 16 are advised to totally avoid reading this book. However, adults who enjoy works that reveal the emotional ostentatiousness of authors will adore this tale.

I found no negatives about the book. I love the writing style of the author. Also, the book must have been edited by a professional; it was done perfectly. This book deserves a perfect rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

The Clouds Still Hang
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

It's sad the life Simon lived when he was younger. No child deserves such a horrible childhood experience. I just hope Daniel wasn't taking advantage of him. I would love to read it someday to find out more.
Henderson Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henderson-junior.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Henderson Junior »

I know how challenging it can be to be a part of the LGBT community. It's expected to be bumpy a bit. But with time I hope everybody gets equal rights.
Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aremu-titilopemi-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Essential Gut Health for Women Over 50 by JL Service

Post by Aremu Titilopemi Funmilayo »

Growing up in a sad or dysfunctional is the last thing to ever wish for anyone. It's a bad place to grow up from. Thankfully this author made good of it by sharing it so we can learn and pick lessons from it.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I love this book because of the way it shows the challenges of Simon as a kid while growing up, his difficulties, and most especially how the writer attacked the issues of bullies that were faced by Simon.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: Quizby The Ant by Clinton Black

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

One of the roles of literature is to address societal issues and concerns, and I am glad Patrick C Notchtree's "Clouds Still Hang" fulfills this obligation. I look forward to reading about his life experiences as a kid growing up. On the other hand, I hope the sexual scenes won't be too disturbing.
Azuka Christian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

The concept of the book is new as I haven't read any books relating to the LGBT community. This book does not seem like what would interest me, although it'd be nice to learn few things from it.
Achor Chinemerem
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achor-chinemerem.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Achor Chinemerem »

One of the reasons why most children are introverts is because of family issues. I would say that the environment may subdue genetics in this aspect. Good review!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

The Clouds Still Hang offers insights into the author's challenging childhood marked by a war-affected father, an emotionally unstable mother, and school bullying. The narrative highlights societal issues, particularly bullying and homophobia, emphasizing the need for a collective stand against them. Nice review.
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Jessica Azuka »

In my guess, all these still continues and that's what the author is trying to reveal on this book. It's such a sad reality. I am looking forward to reading this book to learn from it. Bullying needs to end.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

In 'The Clouds Still Hang,' Patrick C. Notchtree provides a poignant glimpse into his childhood through a semi-fictional biography. The emotional impact of his father's post-war struggles and his mother's instability sets the stage for Simon's challenging upbringing, where encounters with bullies in school shape his introverted nature. The introduction of Daniel, an older friend, adds a hopeful note to this narrative, offering a nuanced exploration of the complexities of growing up.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Hot Potato by Marty Katz

Post by Zanne Crystle »

Thankfully, I've never been bullied but I've read a lot of stories from people who have been bullied and it's always quite sad. It's something that stays with them for their entire lives and has a really adverse effect on how they choose to live and socialize. I realize it's been ramping up a lot, especially in online spaces and I hope people take measures to protect themselves and their children from the ever-present and growing toxicity it has in the world.
Rashad Deniro Price
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashad-deniro-price.html
Latest Review: David's space flight by Sharron Hillman-Dwyer

Post by Rashad Deniro Price »

I like to read books that address real societal issues, even if I don't really agree with their positions. So, "The Clouds Still Hang," written by Patrick C Notchtree, seems like another book to put on my bookshelf. However, I am a little bit concerned about the explicit sexual content.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Popop's Grimoire by Chandler McGrew

Post by Chris Agbara »

The Clouds Still Hang is a poignant exploration of the author's tumultuous childhood, addressing societal issues with a personal touch. The raw honesty and societal commentary, coupled with a brilliant cover design, make it a compelling read. The author's writing style and flawless editing earn it a well-deserved 5 out of 5 stars.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Slayton Natasha Tillett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slayton-natasha-tillett.html
Latest Review: When Your Partner Dies by Millard Hiner

Post by Slayton Natasha Tillett »

It quite and interesting book which centers on societal issues. And you method of giving a glimpse of what the book is about it nice.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”