Review of The MISOGI Method

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The MISOGI Method

Post by Julie Basil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Misogi Method, Jody B. Miller explains the concept of a Misogi and walks the reader through how they can achieve one. Throughout the book, the author shares personal anecdotes that draw the reader in, helping the reader feel connected to her. She shares stories from her childhood as well as stories from times in her life when she faced challenges and how she used the Misogi method to grow and push herself to achieve what she previously found impossible. In her definition of a Misogi, Miller includes that it must be a task that seems impossible and has a high chance of failure. It can be something physical, but it does not have to be. She provides guidelines for how to find your Misogi, prepare for it, and reflect on how it has changed you after you have completed or attempted it. She also highlights the importance of having a support system of like-minded individuals who can act as a sounding board and encourage you throughout the process.
The book is set up in the style of a workbook, with reflection questions at the end of each chapter as well as space to record answers to each question. She also provides a list of the main ideas and key takeaways from each chapter after the reflection questions. There are interesting examples of others who have done Misogis as well. Throughout the book, there are inspirational quotes from famous individuals that relate to the themes in each chapter.
This book belongs to the genre of self-help and does contain some ideas and elements that are a bit cliched. Miller promotes herself and the TED talk she recorded throughout the book and encourages the reader to watch the TED talk to learn more. Some of the advice she gives is very general, and she does not provide a lot of details about the Misogis that she has done. At the end of the book, there is a section that is nearly as long as the book itself, with supplementary materials, including transcripts of interviews she has done with others who have completed their own Misogis, the transcript of her TED talk, and links to resources for completing your own Misogi.
All things considered, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. There were some original ideas and interesting anecdotes shared, but there was also an overabundance of promotional materials and a fair amount of self-help cliches. The writing was in a conversational tone, which is not unusual for a self-help book, but sometimes the informality detracted from the point that was being made. There were also typographical errors found throughout the book that were a distraction from the reading experience. If someone is interested in reading this book, I would suggest that they first watch the author’s TED talk to see if completing a Misogi is something that they are interested in, and if so, to read this book and use the journal questions as a guide for their own Misogi journey.

The MISOGI Method
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hi,Julie, the Misogi method sounds like a very interesting concept from the information in your review. I congratulate you for giving this book a fair review of 3 out of five stars. I am sure the author appreciates this feedback. Have a nice day.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I really didn't know about Misogi Method before. It's a strange concept to help oneself, but I think there are those who believe in trying it. I greatly appreciate your analysis of the book, as you have shown its aspects wonderfully, both negative and positive. Outstanding work Julie!
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Ana KC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-kc.html
Latest Review: The God Child by Stuart Rawlings
2024 Reading Goal: 995
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ana KC »

Unlock a world of casual fun and excitement with the premier dating site.
Actual Girls
Optimal Сasual Dating
Sadiya_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadiya-khan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sadiya_Khan »

Julie Basil wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 21:16 [Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In The Misogi Method, Jody B. Miller explains the concept of a Misogi and walks the reader through how they can achieve one. Throughout the book, the author shares personal anecdotes that draw the reader in, helping the reader feel connected to her. She shares stories from her childhood as well as stories from times in her life when she faced challenges and how she used the Misogi method to grow and push herself to achieve what she previously found impossible. In her definition of a Misogi, Miller includes that it must be a task that seems impossible and has a high chance of failure. It can be something physical, but it does not have to be. She provides guidelines for how to find your Misogi, prepare for it, and reflect on how it has changed you after you have completed or attempted it. She also highlights the importance of having a support system of like-minded individuals who can act as a sounding board and encourage you throughout the process.
The book is set up in the style of a workbook, with reflection questions at the end of each chapter as well as space to record answers to each question. She also provides a list of the main ideas and key takeaways from each chapter after the reflection questions. There are interesting examples of others who have done Misogis as well. Throughout the book, there are inspirational quotes from famous individuals that relate to the themes in each chapter.

The MISOGI Method
I'm not very familiar with the concept of Misogi, but it's fascinating to hear that some people use it to achieve their goals. I always like it when the author provides self-reflection questions at the end. Too much promotion and unrelated things do make it uninteresting. Thanks for the honest review.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

I was wondering whether or not to read this book. Based on your review, and especially the fact that the author self-promotes a lot, I think I will pass. Such contents will most likely annoy me ahah.
Congratulations on such a detailed and honest review, Julie. Keep up the good work!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

I could not agree more with your review! Indeed, this book is though-provoking, yet not flawless. Have you seen some other books from this author? Thank you for your great job!
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Julie Basil wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 21:16 [Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book belongs to the genre of self-help and does contain some ideas and elements that are a bit cliched. Miller promotes herself and the TED talk she recorded throughout the book and encourages the reader to watch the TED talk to learn more. Some of the advice she gives is very general, and she does not provide a lot of details about the Misogis that she has done. At the end of the book, there is a section that is nearly as long as the book itself, with supplementary materials, including transcripts of interviews she has done with others who have completed their own Misogis, the transcript of her TED talk, and links to resources for completing your own Misogi.
All things considered, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars. There were some original ideas and interesting anecdotes shared, but there was also an overabundance of promotional materials and a fair amount of self-help cliches. The writing was in a conversational tone, which is not unusual for a self-help book, but sometimes the informality detracted from the point that was being made. There were also typographical errors found throughout the book that were a distraction from the reading experience. If someone is interested in reading this book, I would suggest that they first watch the author’s TED talk to see if completing a Misogi is something that they are interested in, and if so, to read this book and use the journal questions as a guide for their own Misogi journey.

The MISOGI Method
It's an interesting read; though, as you pointed out, it doesn't offer groundbreaking ideas, a common trait in many self-help books. I read the book and watched the TED talk. Surprisingly, I hadn't heard of Misogi before, so I did learn something. The concept is very intriguing indeed. Your review is refreshingly honest and straightforward. Well done!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Jeff Kanda »

I have been reading some books with Japanese titles and I always love them. This book seems great. You have provided a detailed review and I enjoyed reading it!
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your detailed review. I have seen this book several times as an option, but haven't picked it up to read as I wasn't sure what a Misogi is, and still aren't completely clear. However, based on your thoughts, it was one I will give a miss. I appreciate that the author would want to refer to the TED talk, but surely if you are writing a book, the TED talk would be supplementary rather than providing you with more detail. I'm also not a huge fan of supplementary materials sections - if you needed it in the book use it, if not make reference but leave it out.
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Misogi sounds interesting. It reminds me somewhat of the term monk. Like a person trying to reach his or her highest potential or enlightenment in life. Great review!
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! The author's candid personal stories, covering a range of experiences, from her son's health condition to her career changes, add a relatable and compelling dimension to the narrative.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Thank you for providing such an insightful and thorough review of 'The Misogi Method'. Your analysis effectively captures the essence of the book and highlights its strengths and areas for improvement. I appreciate your balanced critique and thoughtful examination of the content. Well done!
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by Martina Sette »

I've already read this book, and I agree with you. It's a good read, not the best I've ever read, but it's still decent.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The MISOGI Method
I think I would like to explore the “misogi method." This could be a method I could apply to complete the tasks at hand. Worth a try. I agree with you. Excessive Promotional content dulls the reading experience. That was a fun review to read. It was carefully constructed, highlighting both its positive and negative aspects. 
Runan

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”