Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is a captivating science fiction and adventure novel that takes readers on a thrilling journey to the mysterious and uncharted territory of Zona in northern Siberia. The story follows Grant Taylor as he investigates the disappearance of his uncle, Randall, and joins an expedition to Zona in search of answers.

The book begins with Grant Taylor's arrival in Saint Petersburg, Russia, to claim his late uncle's inheritance. He discovers his uncle's journal and a warning not to trust anyone, setting the stage for an intriguing mystery. Grant embarks on an expedition to Zona with a group led by Volkov, the sole survivor of the previous mission. As they venture into the unknown land, they encounter various challenges, from strange fauna to dangerous terrain. The story revolves around their journey, character development, and the search for answers about Zona.

The book is lauded for its excellent character development. I appreciate how each character grows and evolves throughout the story, making them relatable and believable. Irina's transformation from fear to courage is particularly commendable. The author's adept handling of pacing is another highlight. The book effectively balances slower, intimate moments with fast-paced, tension-filled scenes, creating a dynamic reading experience. The plot of the book is original and refreshing, offering a unique take on the science fiction genre. It engages readers with its adventure and mystery elements, making it an entertaining read.

One of my main drawbacks is the book's length. While it effectively packs a lot of content into its 398 pages, some readers may feel that additional backstory for characters and further exploration of Zona would have enriched the story. The book contains explicit sexual content, which may not be suitable for all readers. While the scenes are not overly detailed, they could be considered forced and unnatural. I found the ending of the book to be shallow and not well thought out, leaving them with a sense of dissatisfaction. I criticize this book for supporting promiscuity, which is seen as a negative aspect of the story's themes. There are also instances where sentence structure could be improved for clarity. This book was professionally edited.

"Zona: The Forbidden Land" is a well-received science fiction and adventure novel that offers a unique and captivating journey into the mysterious land of Zona. While it excels in character development, pacing, and originality, it falls short in terms of length, explicit content, and the depth of its ending. Overall, it is recommended for readers who enjoy fiction, sci-fi, adventure, and mystery genres, but it may not be suitable for those uncomfortable with explicit content or promiscuous themes. The book receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Puckett Elizabeth Marie
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckett-elizabeth-marie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Puckett Elizabeth Marie »

I love adventure books. I've been hearing of Zona. I'm not quite sure of what the book is about but I hope this will be a great read.
Chiemego Nwokolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiemego-nwokolo.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Chiemego Nwokolo »

Great review here. You broke down every section appropriately. An interesting read I must say, the story-line is top notch, the characters are well developed and I definitely want to read this.
Nenye Charles
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Nenye Charles »

I’m impressed by Grant’s resilience and determination to find his uncle. Im hopeful he will find answers to the mysteries surrounding his uncle’s disappearance. Great review.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

I love how developed the characters in this book were and your review is so interesting and well detailed. Nice review you have
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

I'm glad you found the review helpful! "Zona the Forbidden Land" seems to offer an engaging story with well-developed characters. Enjoy your reading!
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Florence Daniel »

The author's adept handling of pacing is another highlight, seamlessly blending slower, intimate moments with fast-paced, tension-filled scenes. This dynamic approach contributes to a compelling reading experience.
Amelia Harper 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-harper-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Amelia Harper 1 »

"Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is a thrilling sci-fi adventure following Grant Taylor's search for his missing uncle in the mysterious territory of Zona.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I just picked up this book and what I read so far is quite intriguing. It seems that Grant's uncle's associates are not to be trusted. I'd like to know more about what Grant found out at the expedition he joined.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I am a lover of mysteries and adventures and I love this book for that, gives me a wonderful experience of venturing into the forbidden land of Zona.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

"Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker follows Grant Taylor's adventurous journey in Siberia's mysterious Zona, uncovering secrets amid dangerous terrain and strange creatures.
Amanda Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker is an enthralling science fiction adventure. Grant Taylor embarks on a quest to unravel the mystery of his uncle's disappearance in the uncharted territory of Zona.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”