Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe" is an intriguing and imaginative science fiction novel penned by Zarqnon the Embarrassed (JW McLaughlin). The narrative embarks on an unconventional exploration of the universe's creation, delving into a world where time, light, and matter were yet to exist. Notably, the book's creative and playful writing style bears a resemblance to the whimsical storytelling found in the works of Dr. Seuss.

The story revolves around Theodil, who presents an unorthodox theory before a committee skeptical of his ideas. In explaining the origins of the universe, he employs inventive terms such as "zots" and "xoodles," which are portrayed as imaginative building blocks of creation. Throughout the narrative, traditional theories about the universe's beginnings are challenged, inspiring readers to consider unconventional ideas.

I admire the plot of this book so much, despite being into sci-fi books. The book's distinctive writing style is a standout feature, blending complex scientific concepts with creative and imaginative prose reminiscent of Dr. Seuss's storytelling. "Of Zots and Xoodles" encourages readers to reexamine conventional theories about the universe's creation, inviting them to think critically and embrace unconventional ideas. Frank Louis Allen's illustrations complement the narrative, visually interpreting abstract scientific concepts and enhancing the book's overall appeal.

The book's intricate scientific ideas and unconventional writing style may pose a significant challenge for many readers interested in this book. Understanding and interpreting the presented concepts may require a substantial investment of effort. Several constructs introduced in the book lack explanations, leading to confusion and hindering comprehension. The book concludes abruptly, leaving me with unresolved questions and a lack of closure. A more conclusive ending would have improved the overall reading experience. "Of Zots and Xoodles" may not be accessible or enjoyable for readers without a strong background or interest in science, potentially alienating those seeking a more straightforward and accessible storytelling style. This book was well edited. I found no errors in this book.

This novel is best suited for those who are deeply interested in unconventional scientific theories and willing to invest effort in understanding the narrative. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I think this book still needs a lot of work in the ending.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Enjani Matendeko
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

This author's reasoning for the universe's existence puzzles me too. I'm intrigued and eager to read this book. The thoughts in it sound enlightening. Especially, I'd like to know about this world where time, light, and matter did not exist.
Puckett Elizabeth Marie
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckett-elizabeth-marie.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Puckett Elizabeth Marie »

Nice review but I will give this a pass. The book seem borring but the length us encouraging. Well thanks for the review.
Chiemego Nwokolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiemego-nwokolo.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Chiemego Nwokolo »

A science fiction will always intrigue me. I wonder what inspires authors to write them. Beautiful review here, you have sufficient insight into the book and I would definitely read this any chance I get.
Nenye Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nenye-charles.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Nenye Charles »

This is not a kind of book that really interests me. I will definitely pass on this one. You did a great job anyways. Kudos to a good review.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Nice review, easy to understand and kind of difficult for someone people. But your review made it easy to understand better
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

Exploring the author's perspective on the universe's existence and delving into a world without time, light, and matter does sound intriguing. This book seems to offer unique insights, and I hope you find it enlightening upon reading.
Florence Daniel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-daniel.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Florence Daniel »

Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed (JW McLaughlin) is praised for its intriguing and imaginative exploration of the universe's creation.
Amelia Harper 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-harper-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Amelia Harper 1 »

"Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed (JW McLaughlin) is a whimsical science fiction novel that playfully explores the creation of the universe, reminiscent of Dr. Seuss' storytelling style.
Kikelomo Awowole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikelomo-awowole.html
Latest Review: Prosperity Gospel by Roger Smalling

Post by Kikelomo Awowole »

I admire the plot of this book so much, despite being into sci-fi books. The book's distinctive writing style is a standout feature, blending complex scientific concepts with creative and imaginative prose . Great review
Alissa Deann Devargas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

I was confused while reading Of Zots And Xoodles most of the time. However, from the little I grasped, I understood that Theodil wanted to create a universe in front of an audience.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

"Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed (JW McLaughlin) playfully challenges traditional cosmic theories with imaginative terms, akin to Dr. Seuss's whimsical storytelling style.
Amanda Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Of Zots and Xoodles: Theodil Creates a Universe" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed (JW McLaughlin) is a whimsical science fiction tale that imaginatively explores the creation of the universe. Its playful writing style evokes the charm of Dr. Seuss's storytelling.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”