Review of Ten Commandments for Church Reform

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jevonte Malik
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jevonte-malik.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Ten Commandments for Church Reform

Post by Jevonte Malik »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ten Commandments for Church Reform" by John Wijngaards.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Ten Commandments for Church Reform is an insightful memoir that entails the recorded experiences and important views of the author, Wijngaards John. John, a great theologian and a former Catholic priest, shares his views on the areas of the church that require reform. In this memoir, he particularly points out ten specific areas in crucial need of reform.

The Catholic Church has long been known for its traditions and rituals, many of which date back centuries. But some have argued that the church is stuck in the past, refusing to adapt to the modern world. In his memoir, Wijngaards John highlights 10 areas of the church's policies and practices that he believes are in need of reform. From its stance on social issues to its treatment of clergy, Wijngaards John argues that the church must move forward and embrace change in order to remain relevant in the 21st century.

Unlike most other "men of God", John was able to exhibit his generosity in most places he visited. The establishment of a theological college for religious sisters and the establishment of a center with departments for book production and correspondence courses in the local languages all in India speak for themselves. He adequately stressed the need for the church to throw off its medieval cloak and become updated. I also like how the author included an explanation of terms that might seem strange to the average reader in the glossary section.

The only negative opinion I have about the book is that most of the letters that the author attached to the book aren't clear at all. Efforts weren't put into that area, and I think it's only fair that I deduct a star for that reason. Hence, I rate the book 4 out of 5 stars. However, I liked that the book was professionally edited, as I found only a few errors. I recommend this book to readers who would like to have multiple views on the doctrines of the Catholic Church, specifically Christians.

Lastly, one of the "ten commandments" that interests me and that I think isn't spoken enough of is the segregation of women in the Catholic Church. I agree with the author that excluding a whole class of human beings from ordination is a clear form of discrimination, as it has no biblical backing. It is sad how John was left with no choice but to resign from priestly ministry.

Ten Commandments for Church Reform
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jimmy Cyprian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cyprian.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Jimmy Cyprian »

This is definitely the kind of book I would love to read. I've always known there are some hidden secrets about the Catholic Church. I just hope the author's claims are true here.
Henderson Junior
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henderson-junior.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Henderson Junior »

It's great to see these secrets coming from someone who's been in the Catholic Church system for decades now. I admire how constructed his criticism is.
Enjani Matendeko
Currently Reading: Nightlord
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjani-matendeko.html
Latest Review: Running For One's Life by Lauren Jedlan

Post by Enjani Matendeko »

I love this book based on how the author took notice of the old doctrines of the church and found it necessary to bring them up to the 21st century and remove some old doctrines basically from the area of the treatment of the clergy.
Rishaunda Lynnette Britton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishaunda-lynnette-britton.html
Latest Review: Spiker the Jumping Spider Learns about Joy by J. M. Ashmore

Post by Rishaunda Lynnette Britton »

The Catholic Church has often come under criticism for some of her ancient traditions and practices, which leaves some people confused on what to believe. I am really curious to read those ten areas John Wijngaards has listed as needing urgent reforms.
Azuka Christian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

I'm actually not a fan of non-fiction but I love reading memoir because one can learn from the authors experience. Being a Christian, I'm sure the book has a lot to offer. Good job on the review.
Achor Chinemerem
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achor-chinemerem.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling

Post by Achor Chinemerem »

I would love to read the 10 points the author portrayed. Quite an insightful book. Great review too!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Addressing ten specific areas in need of reform within the Catholic Church, John's memoir critiques longstanding traditions and advocates for adaptation to the modern world. From social issues to the treatment of clergy, the book emphasizes the importance of embracing change to ensure the church's relevance in the 21st century.
Jessica Azuka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-azuka.html
Latest Review: Will You Talk to Me? by Margie Carstens

Post by Jessica Azuka »

The Catholics are one people that have very strong religious beliefs. I like to liken them to the Jews. Therefore, it's fascinating that a priest is talking about reforms. I am looking forward to reading what he has to say.
Alexander Victoria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-victoria.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Alexander Victoria »

Ten Commandments for Church Reform presents a thought-provoking perspective from Wijngaards John, a seasoned theologian and former Catholic priest. Through his memoir, he sheds light on ten specific areas within the Catholic Church that he passionately believes demand reform, emphasizing the importance of adapting to contemporary challenges for the church to stay relevant in the 21st century.
Chris Agbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-agbara.html
Latest Review: Popop's Grimoire by Chandler McGrew

Post by Chris Agbara »

"Ten Commandments for Church Reform" offers a compelling perspective on the need for change within the Catholic Church, addressing critical issues with insight and a call for modernization. The author's generosity and advocacy for reform make it a thought-provoking read, despite minor clarity issues in attached letters. Rated 4 out of 5 stars, recommended for those seeking diverse views on Catholic doctrines.
The difference between taking and giving, and taking and not giving is the difference between life and death.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

As a former Catholic priest, I think Wijngaards John is in a better position to speak about areas in the Church that needs reform, hsi views is what I'll like to read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”