Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you know how to protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of a catastrophic medical crisis? Do you feel that you are organized to deal with a medical crisis? Are you able to afford health insurance? Do you feel that as a patient in need of guidance and information you are being listened to? Do you know what a naturopath or a phlebotomist does for a living? If you answered no to any or all of the above questions it might be worth your while to read Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.

Barbara Galutia Regis is a physician assistant who advocates for patients, families, and health providers. She feels that there is a great disconnect in healthcare in America. She wants to help people navigate the confusing array of choices that make up the healthcare system. She feels that access to adequate healthcare is a right that everyone in America should have. Her goals are to clarify the choices and work toward helping people acquire their right to adequate healthcare.

I believe that her book answered the calling to do the above. The first five chapters brought me to a mindset filled with thoughts about the healthcare system and how I have survived it. I read what Barbara had to share about receiving a diagnosis of skin cancer and the treatment she benefitted from. She also shared her experiences of growing up with a father who was a doctor serving his town, and why she chose to become a physician assistant in her thirties after a career as a music teacher. The next twenty-four chapters covered subjects such as; how to choose your primary care provider, the many professions in the healthcare sector and their roles, a short history of healthcare in America, health insurance options, how to save money and avoid using up health insurance by shopping around for prescription and non-prescription drugs, and the importance of owning catastrophic health insurance, to name a few. The chapters were all short in length but offered essential information. The author held my interest by sprinkling anecdotes, from her life, through the book. These stories had the effect of making me reflect on my growing-up years while reminiscing about the way healthcare used to be in those times.

After reading this book, you will have a better understanding of how the healthcare system works, what options are available for you to use in preparation for or during a health-related crisis, and how to strategize according to your situation so that the healthcare system serves you as you need it to.

I enjoyed reading this book because it was a quick and easy read. It was well-edited and educational. I did not find anything to dislike about this book. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anshika Kanan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anshika-kanan.html
Latest Review: The Transcendental Tangle: Untying the Enigmatic Knots of the Infinite by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

Post by Anshika Kanan »

This review was very informative and helped me become aware of the healthcare system that has become less about the health welfare of people and more of a money-making business in America. The book is very descriptive and definitely worth a read.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 15 Nov 2023, 18:13 [Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]

Do you know how to protect yourself and your loved ones in the event of a catastrophic medical crisis? Do you feel that you are organized to deal with a medical crisis? Are you able to afford health insurance? Do you feel that as a patient in need of guidance and information you are being listened to? Do you know what a naturopath or a phlebotomist does for a living? If you answered no to any or all of the above questions it might be worth your while to read Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.

Barbara Galutia Regis is a physician assistant who advocates for patients, families, and health providers. She feels that there is a great disconnect in healthcare in America. She wants to help people navigate the confusing array of choices that make up the healthcare system. She feels that access to adequate healthcare is a right that everyone in America should have. Her goals are to clarify the choices and work toward helping people acquire their right to adequate healthcare.

After reading this book, you will have a better understanding of how the healthcare system works, what options are available for you to use in preparation for or during a health-related crisis, and how to strategize according to your situation so that the healthcare system serves you as you need it to.
Gerry, this is probably one of those books that most people wouldn't read until they were smack dab in the middle of a crisis! Healthcare is such a hot topic these days that most people can't comprehend it, coupled with its soaring costs. This sounds like a great read to educate oneself on the system in order to manage within it. Crazy that she was a music teacher before becoming a physician assistant! Was there anything in particular that you personally took away from this book?! I enjoyed reading your review. Until next time...
:tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Cara, You are absolutely right. Most people, myself included, often wait to deal with healthcare issues until they are in a lot of pain, or they have more time to worry that another person's catastrophe might happen to them. As far as what I took personally from the book, I reminisced about my good fortune of having had the same family doctor from the age of 11 to 56 years old. My doctor was much like the author's father. He did what was necessary to treat me. No more, no less. For instance, when I was 14, he told me that he was not going to give me antibiotics for a recurring sore throat. He explained to me the difference between a viral and a bacterial infection. Mine was viral, so he told me to take Tylenol for the
pain, to gargle salt and water, and that I should feel better in five days. He was right! I was fortunate that he took the time to educate me and empower me about my own health instead of prescribing drugs. The author emphasized that it is important to find a healthcare professional who listens to you and has your best interests in mind. That is so true.

Apart from that, the book clarifies for me, the difference between the American health system and the Canadian health system I am part of. I could have a heart attack tomorrow and get heart surgery without incurring a debt. We all pay taxes into a Medicare health insurance system. We all have the right to receive adequate care, whether we are poor or rich. I feel secure and happy to contribute to these taxes as I do not have to worry about losing my house or paying a large debt for the rest of my life in the event of a health-related catastrophe. I believe that is the kind of healthcare system the author wishes for her fellow American citizens.

It is great to share with you again. Is there a book review that you wrote with a message you feel is very important to you, and that other people should know? Let me know. I will read it, and give you feedback. As you always write, until next time!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Anshika Kanan wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 09:53 This review was very informative and helped me become aware of the healthcare system that has become less about the health welfare of people and more of a money-making business in America. The book is very descriptive and definitely worth a read.

Anshika, thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. I hope that this book can help some people find adequate healthcare. The author seems to believe that if people are proactive and inform themselves, it is possible. Have a nice day.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems like a must-read if you want, or need, to know the American healthcare system. You always hope you don't need it but in life you never know, so you better be prepared, just in case. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

The questions at the start of your review git me thinking alot if what I know about health care and I think I would survive at a percentage of 40% in the world of health care. I will however read this book to know more about the system
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 23:28 Cara, You are absolutely right. Most people, myself included, often wait to deal with healthcare issues until they are in a lot of pain, or they have more time to worry that another person's catastrophe might happen to them. As far as what I took personally from the book, I reminisced about my good fortune of having had the same family doctor from the age of 11 to 56 years old. My doctor was much like the author's father. He did what was necessary to treat me. No more, no less.

Apart from that, the book clarifies for me, the difference between the American health system and the Canadian health system I am part of. I could have a heart attack tomorrow and get heart surgery without incurring a debt. We all pay taxes into a Medicare health insurance system. We all have the right to receive adequate care, whether we are poor or rich. I feel secure and happy to contribute to these taxes as I do not have to worry about losing my house or paying a large debt for the rest of my life in the event of a health-related catastrophe. I believe that is the kind of healthcare system the author wishes for her fellow American citizens.

It is great to share with you again. Is there a book review that you wrote with a message you feel is very important to you, and that other people should know? Let me know. I will read it, and give you feedback. As you always write, until next time!
Gerry, wow! You had the same doctor for most of your life! That is mind-blowing to me! I think it's admirable that your doctor didn't just try to pump you full of drugs and actually had your best interest in mind. The differences in healthcare systems between Canada and America are complex, as I understand it. I imagine that our values (capitalistic in nature), and our social construct (less accepting of taxation and welfare systems), as well as scale, heavily impact our ability to change the system. I like the "idea" of other healthcare systems, but I also have mixed emotions about the reality of implementing them here. I feel like there should be more incentives to actively staying healthy, but it feels like it's the opposite, because there is no money to be made. Money is largely at the heart of the issue as well. This is a tough problem. If I knew the answer, I'd probably be doing something other than reviewing books :lol: :lol: :lol: I always appreciate our discourse, thank you for that! Until next time...
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 25 Nov 2023, 04:07 The questions at the start of your review git me thinking alot if what I know about health care and I think I would survive at a percentage of 40% in the world of health care. I will however read this book to know more about the system
Hi Risper, thank you for commenting about my review. I really appreciate it. In return for you taking the time to do this, I will comment on one of your reviews. I look forward to our continued collaboration in the Online Book Club. Have a great day.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Cara Wilding wrote: 28 Nov 2023, 12:37
Gerry Steen wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 23:28 Cara, You are absolutely right. Most people, myself included, often wait to deal with healthcare issues until they are in a lot of pain, or they have more time to worry that another person's catastrophe might happen to them. As far as what I took personally from the book, I reminisced about my good fortune of having had the same family doctor from the age of 11 to 56 years old. My doctor was much like the author's father. He did what was necessary to treat me. No more, no less.

Gerry, wow! You had the same doctor for most of your life! That is mind-blowing to me! I think it's admirable that your doctor didn't just try to pump you full of drugs and actually had your best interest in mind. The differences in healthcare systems between Canada and America are complex, as I understand it. I imagine that our values (capitalistic in nature), and our social construct (less accepting of taxation and welfare systems), as well as scale, heavily impact our ability to change the system. I like the "idea" of other healthcare systems, but I also have mixed emotions about the reality of implementing them here. I feel like there should be more incentives to actively staying healthy, but it feels like it's the opposite, because there is no money to be made. Money is largely at the heart of the issue as well. This is a tough problem. If I knew the answer, I'd probably be doing something other than reviewing books :lol: :lol: :lol: I always appreciate our discourse, thank you for that! Until next time...
Thank you, Cara. This really is starting to feel like a Book "Club"! Until next time.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hello to anyone who reads this review. Please take a minute and post a reply. It will be much appreciated. Thank you
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

"Surviving the Business of Healthcare" seems like a must-read for anyone feeling overwhelmed by the complexities of the healthcare system. I appreciate Barbara Galutia Regis' advocacy for patients and her goal of making healthcare more accessible. Her perspective as a physician assistant adds credibility, and her emphasis on clarifying choices is valuable.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”