Review of Catch a Falling Star

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Re: Review of Catch a Falling Star

Post by Gerry Steen »

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 02:50 Being a drug adduct costs so much of your life and those around you. I avoid drugs at all costs. I loved this book but it's just not my kind. Great review
Hi, Risper, thank you for your comments. You are right. There are great costs associated with drug addiction both socially and economically. Have a great day. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 15:53 Aleisha story is sad but leaves the hope that she can overcome a problem as terrible and destructive as the addiction to heroin. The novel makes us understand how such an addiction can hit not only the addicted person but also the people around them. Thank you for your great review!
Hi, Massimo, the addict requires great willpower to overcome their addiction. Thank goodness that there are dedicated volunteers who want to help the children while their addict parent is recovering. Have a nice day. :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 12:06 Hi Cara, thank you for your comments. Heroin is a scary drug as are many others. This is especially so when the person needs to escape mental traumas. About 15 years ago, I knew a woman who would stand with me and the rest of the parents watching our daughters play soccer. One day she did not show up. Halfway through the practice, the manager of the team pulled the 17-year-old daughter off the soccer field and left with her. We were all wondering what was going on. We found out later that the police had called the manager looking for the daughter. Her mother had jumped off a bridge and died. She had left a note for her kids apologizing that she had recently started reusing and did not want to put them through that anymore.
Gerry, that is such a sad story—absolutely heartbreaking. Reflecting on this, I have such mixed emotions about it. On one hand, would her life be better? On the other hand, how much trauma will this cause, and could it inadvertently make her life worse? Ugh. This is indeed a scary drug. I suppose it is only through books like these that we stop and actually think about the issue in depth. Until next time...
:tiphat:
Halawi Abdullahi
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halawi-abdullahi.html
Latest Review: The In-Between by Christian Espinosa

Post by Halawi Abdullahi »

Hi Gerry, It was awesome reading your review, thanks. I think the book would be great for educating people about the effects of drugs.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Dec 2023, 15:53 Aleisha story is sad but leaves the hope that she can overcome a problem as terrible and destructive as the addiction to heroin. The novel makes us understand how such an addiction can hit not only the addicted person but also the people around them. Thank you for your great review!
Massimo, thank you for your comments. Ciao for now. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Halawi Abdullahi wrote: 04 Dec 2023, 12:04 Hi Gerry, It was awesome reading your review, thanks. I think the book would be great for educating people about the effects of drugs.
Hi, Halawi, thank you for your comments. You are correct, this book made the issue more realistic for me.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Amy Luman wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 08:53 CASA is a great program that I’ve recently become interested in. I still need to do more research on it, though. Drug addiction interests me also. I used to think that if those who were addicted would just stop everything could be resolved. Now I know it’s not that easy. Thanks!
Hi, Amy, thank you for your comments. Heroin addiction is hard to conquer especially if it drowns out the memories of trauma. Have a great day!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

A new me wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 14:15 I was attracted to the name of this novel "Catch a falling star." I wouldn't have guessed it had anything to do with drug addiction; in fact, it is almost rare to find a book that discusses the effects of drug misuse. Thank you for this educative piece of work.
Hi, thank you for your comments on my review. You are right. The title fooled me also. Have a good day. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 19:49 It is impressive how addictions destroy people, and their loved ones. When children are involved in these situations, they usually suffer irreparable trauma to different degrees.
Hi Bettny, thank you for your comments on my review. The children do suffer a lot. Have a nice day. :techie-studyinggray:
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

Thank you for being honest in your review! Indeed, to my mind, it is pretty rare to see a book being realistic, especially in such a topic. Hope to read more from you soon!
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Anastasia Baglay wrote: 05 Dec 2023, 12:16 Thank you for being honest in your review! Indeed, to my mind, it is pretty rare to see a book being realistic, especially in such a topic. Hope to read more from you soon!
Hi, Anastasia, thank you for your comments. Yes, the story was very real. Heroin addiction is nothing short of terrible. I hope you have a nice day. :techie-studyinggray:
Marina Flisvou
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Legacy: Wisdom of African Traditions and the Bible by Chris Morehouse

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Your detailed analysis provides a comprehensive understanding of this thought-provoking novel. "Catch a Falling Star" appears to be a powerful and enlightening read, offering readers a deep and nuanced look at the struggles and hopes of those affected by addiction.
Marina
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Beautiful review. But I’m confused as to why one of her children was left in the care of their paternal aunt instead of Aleisha’s husband. Addiction is difficult to get over, but with willpower and de-addiction centers to help, one can strive to get over the addiction for a fulfilling life. Children are innocent, and they often do not have a choice but bear the consequences of adults' choices. It’s sad. I hope Aleisha turns her life around.
Runan
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Marina Flisvou wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 07:59 Your detailed analysis provides a comprehensive understanding of this thought-provoking novel. "Catch a Falling Star" appears to be a powerful and enlightening read, offering readers a deep and nuanced look at the struggles and hopes of those affected by addiction.
Hi, Marina. Thank you for commenting on my review. Yes, it was both a powerful and enlightening read. I would highly recommend this book to anyone close to someone who suffers from heroin addiction. It is important to withhold judgment if you want to support someone who is struggling to conquer the addiction. Have a great day. :techie-studyinggray:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Runan wrote: 06 Dec 2023, 12:53 Beautiful review. But I’m confused as to why one of her children was left in the care of their paternal aunt instead of Aleisha’s husband. Addiction is difficult to get over, but with willpower and de-addiction centers to help, one can strive to get over the addiction for a fulfilling life. Children are innocent, and they often do not have a choice but bear the consequences of adults' choices. It’s sad. I hope Aleisha turns her life around.
Hi, Runan. Thank you for commenting on my review. To clear up the confusion about only one of the three children going to the paternal aunt, I will add that the two older children belonged to another father who was not involved in their lives. Have a great day. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”