Review of From Burnout to Belonging

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Silverblood Promise
Bookshelf Size: 2292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Faking Fairytales by Aimie O'Callahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Re: Review of From Burnout to Belonging

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Gerry Steen wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 14:59 Hi, Oleabhiele, The author talks about 5 microcultures that make up most workplaces. They are the following: the classroom microculture, the island microculture, the kingdom microculture, the Swiss watch microculture, and the tribe microculture. The classroom microculture would be conducive to your learning on the job. The island microculture allows you to work independently in your own space as you have specialized skills that differ from other people in your workplace. The kingdom microculture is a very competition-oriented work situation that encourages one to try to outdo another in a dog-eat-dog atmosphere. The Swiss watch microculture requires everyone to have each others' back while each performs their responsibilities efficiently to ensure that the team is effective. Finally, the tribe microculture is a worksite that puts a lot of emphasis on the workers enjoying the social aspect of work and valuing each other. Everyone's opinion matters. The workers often socialize together after working hours. The workers are collectively like a big family. The author helps you to find out which microculture you would be most comfortable working in. Once you know that you must figure out whether or not you can find your microculture at your workplace or do you need to look for a workplace that has your preferred microculture. The idea is that once you fit in you will be able to avoid burnout. I hope this answers your question. Have a good day.
I am curious about where I would fit in. Probably island or classroom. I want to fit but also kind of want to be left alone, so it's complicated. :lol2: Sounds like a really interesting book.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Marie Chalupová wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 17:04
Gerry Steen wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 14:59 Hi, Oleabhiele, The author talks about 5 microcultures that make up most workplaces. They are the following: the classroom microculture, the island microculture, the kingdom microculture, the Swiss watch microculture, and the tribe microculture. The classroom microculture would be conducive to your learning on the job. The island microculture allows you to work independently in your own space as you have specialized skills that differ from other people in your workplace. The kingdom microculture is a very competition-oriented work situation that encourages one to try to outdo another in a dog-eat-dog atmosphere. The Swiss watch microculture requires everyone to have each others' back while each performs their responsibilities efficiently to ensure that the team is effective. Finally, the tribe microculture is a worksite that puts a lot of emphasis on the workers enjoying the social aspect of work and valuing each other. Everyone's opinion matters. The workers often socialize together after working hours. The workers are collectively like a big family. The author helps you to find out which microculture you would be most comfortable working in. Once you know that you must figure out whether or not you can find your microculture at your workplace or do you need to look for a workplace that has your preferred microculture. The idea is that once you fit in you will be able to avoid burnout. I hope this answers your question. Have a good day.
I am curious about where I would fit in. Probably island or classroom. I want to fit but also kind of want to be left alone, so it's complicated. :lol2: Sounds like a really interesting book.
You should read the book if the concept of microcultures appeals to you. I enjoyed the book and the ideas made sense.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

This book "From Burnout to Belonging" by Kimberly Carozzi sounds like a lifesaver for anyone feeling stressed or out of place at work. I like how Carozzi offers practical strategies for self-assessment and finding the right workplace culture fit. The idea of different microcultures in the workplace is intriguing and could help people understand why they might not be thriving where they are.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

What a beautiful review, Gerry, and such a fascinating point the author makes about microcultures in the workplace. I’m happier at work than I’ve been in years and I’m sure that the positive microculture is a primary reason.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

DanaLohn wrote: 15 Apr 2024, 20:16 What a beautiful review, Gerry, and such a fascinating point the author makes about microcultures in the workplace. I’m happier at work than I’ve been in years and I’m sure that the positive microculture is a primary reason.
Thank you for the kind words, Dana. I think that the author was very perceptive and knew how to think outside of the box. The microcultures as she described them make so much sense. I am retired now, but looking back , I can see why some co-workers were completely unhappy with their jobs. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”