Review of Fireproof Happiness

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of Fireproof Happiness

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fireproof Happiness" by Dr. Randy Ross.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are you feeling as though you are stuck in a rut and that you have no way out? Are you struggling to get out of bed every morning because you are afraid of encountering more hardships? Do you wish that your life had meaning and direction? If you answered yes to the preceding questions, you might be missing a critical ingredient in your life. That ingredient is hope.

Dr. Randy Ross, in the book entitled Fireproof Happiness, defines what hope is and how we can use it to navigate through tough times. Before I read Ross' book, I thought of hope in somewhat nebulous terms. Hope was an idea that I had heard about in church. I asked Google for the meaning of hope, and it gave me the following definition: a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

Ross shows us that hope must be more dynamic than just a feeling or a desire. Hope must be a driving force with working parts. We must play an active role in making things happen instead of passively expecting and desiring. It is in the process of making things happen that we will find happiness. This process of making things happen is called hope. Therefore, it is through hope that we can find happiness.

Fireproof Happiness defines and illustrates the process of hope. The definition of the process includes the following elements: the work of setting inspirational goals, the will to work toward the goals by following your core values, the way that you choose to arrive at your goal by planning when, where, and how you will get there, and with whom you will embark upon this journey toward your goal. In other words, who will you draw support from?

Ross illustrates the process of creating dynamic hope through the use of metaphors, inspirational explanations, reverse engineering, and the theories of other prominent authors who have written about hope. Salient points are written in italics throughout the book.

I enjoyed reading about Viktor Frankl's writings. Frankl was a Holocaust survivor who wrote about tragic optimism. Basically, Frankl believed that one always has the freedom to choose how they will react to a tragedy.

This book was well-edited, easy to read, and inspiring. However, I found it to be somewhat repetitious. I did not find anything else to dislike about this book. I would recommend it to readers who need to find inspiration, meaning, and motivation.

I give Fireproof Happiness 5 out of 5 stars.

Fireproof Happiness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Hello. If you read my review, would you be kind enough to reply and leave a comment? It will be appreciated. If you are a book reviewer, I can return the favor. If you are a reader, I can discuss the book with you. Thank you :techie-studyinggray:
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Gerry Steen wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 12:34 [Following is a volunteer review of "Fireproof Happiness" by Dr. Randy Ross.]

Ross shows us that hope must be more dynamic than just a feeling or a desire. Hope must be a driving force with working parts. We must play an active role in making things happen instead of passively expecting and desiring. It is in the process of making things happen that we will find happiness. This process of making things happen is called hope. Therefore, it is through hope that we can find happiness.

Fireproof Happiness defines and illustrates the process of hope. The definition of the process includes the following elements: the work of setting inspirational goals, the will to work toward the goals by following your core values, the way that you choose to arrive at your goal by planning when, where, and how you will get there, and with whom you will embark upon this journey toward your goal. In other words, who will you draw support from?

I enjoyed reading about Viktor Frankl's writings. Frankl was a Holocaust survivor who wrote about tragic optimism. Basically, Frankl believed that one always has the freedom to choose how they will react to a tragedy.
Gerry, you've been busy since I've been away! I was looking at this book as a potential read as well. This process of hope the author describes is interesting. It feels more like simple goal setting. I'm intrigued to learn about what was so significant about having someone with whom to embark on the goal journey. I've been exposed to some of Viktor Frankl's writing as well, quite inspirational! This book concept ties into many of the books I've read in the last few months on the power of mindset. I may have to tackle this one soon! Was there anything in particular that you took away from this read personally? Until next time...
:tiphat:
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Cara Wilding wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 12:13
Gerry Steen wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 12:34 [Following is a volunteer review of "Fireproof Happiness" by Dr. Randy Ross.]

Gerry, you've been busy since I've been away! I was looking at this book as a potential read as well. This process of hope the author describes is interesting. It feels more like simple goal setting. I'm intrigued to learn about what was so significant about having someone with whom to embark on the goal journey. I've been exposed to some of Viktor Frankl's writing as well, quite inspirational! This book concept ties into many of the books I've read in the last few months on the power of mindset. I may have to tackle this one soon! Was there anything in particular that you took away from this read personally? Until next time...
:tiphat:
Hi, Cara, thank you for your comments. I share the definition of hope that the author has. I am all about active hope. I am my happiest when I am busy on something or trying to solve a problem. I am all in until my goal is reached. I then set another goal. :techie-studyinggray:
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

I wasn't expecting Fireproof Happiness to be centered on hope but after reading your review, I see how hope plays a vital role in helping us achieve happiness.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Esther Deekor wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 06:30 I wasn't expecting Fireproof Happiness to be centered on hope but after reading your review, I see how hope plays a vital role in helping us achieve happiness.
Hi, Esther, thank you for your comments. This book was inspiring. Have a fabulous day! :techie-studyinggray:
Sylianne
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylianne.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sylianne »

Seeing only the title of this book, the concepts of happiness and hope seemed somewhat different to me. Hope, in my view, implies the longing for something that doesn't exist or that isn't certain at the time. Therefore hope suggests deficiency, while happiness is associated with abundance. Your review helped to clarify the process of hope and its connection to happiness, which is a positive and active attitude. I could always do with some motivation and inspiration, so this book is on my tbr list.
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Sylianne wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 16:39 Seeing only the title of this book, the concepts of happiness and hope seemed somewhat different to me. Hope, in my view, implies the longing for something that doesn't exist or that isn't certain at the time. Therefore hope suggests deficiency, while happiness is associated with abundance. Your review helped to clarify the process of hope and its connection to happiness, which is a positive and active attitude. I could always do with some motivation and inspiration, so this book is on my tbr list.
Hi, Sylianne, thank you for your comments. I found this book to be very inspirational. You will enjoy reading it. :techie-studyinggray:
Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

Well-written review - it describes the premise of the book and clear recommendation to who it will be useful for. I'm reading this book, and it does feel similar to the journey of manifestation- you take up a desire you wish to fulfill and take actual steps to achieve it. It also involves removing the element of doubt and believing wholeheartedly in achieving your dream, which is very close to this concept of "hope". Do you agree with this premise? If you've read about manifestation, did you encounter this similarity too ?
Gerry Steen

Post by Gerry Steen »

Neha Panikar wrote: 24 Feb 2024, 01:19 Well-written review - it describes the premise of the book and clear recommendation to who it will be useful for. I'm reading this book, and it does feel similar to the journey of manifestation- you take up a desire you wish to fulfill and take actual steps to achieve it. It also involves removing the element of doubt and believing wholeheartedly in achieving your dream, which is very close to this concept of "hope". Do you agree with this premise? If you've read about manifestation, did you encounter this similarity too ?
Hi, Neha. Thank you for your comments. Is manifestation one of the nine steps in the Diva's spiritual journey? If this refers to the book I am thinking about, I have not found the time to read it yet. :techie-studyinggray:
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

This review breaks down hope in a cool way through Dr. Randy Ross' book "Fireproof Happiness." It's not just about wishing; it's about taking action for happiness. I like how it's explained with metaphors and practical steps. Great read!
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

This review breaks down hope in a cool way through Dr. Randy Ross' book "Fireproof Happiness." It's not just about wishing; it's about taking action for happiness. I like how it's explained with metaphors and practical steps. Great read!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”