Review of A King Amongst Us

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of A King Amongst Us

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A King Amongst Us" by A.D. Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you enjoy a fast-paced and vivid story that includes kings, gladiators, slaves, and slavemasters? Would you enjoy a book that you can finish reading in 3 hours or less? If you answered yes to these questions, you will enjoy reading the book entitled A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis.

This fictional story takes place in a kingdom in the city of Sit Nalta. The kingdom is ruled by King Augustus who overthrew the previous king in a coup during a civil war. The war had been spurred on by the outrage of many citizens who opposed the previous king's vision of encouraging trade agreements with other kingdoms overseas. They feared that foreigners would import pestilence and disease, steal their goods, and make them weak. They felt that their society was superior to that of the foreigners. King Augustus told the populace that they were the most powerful people in the world and that no deity could ever defeat them. However, King Augustus became an oppressive ruler and used his soldiers to torture the families of people who disagreed with his policies. These people were killed and their children were used as slaves. One of these slaves grew up to become a gladiator. The public knew him as The Messenger. He had a few good reasons to harbor resentment toward the king. He planned that one day he would kill the king.

Madam Aurelia runs an expensive and popular brothel known as House Aurelia. She buys the male slaves that the king has no more use for. Aurelia agrees to pay the king with her firstborn in exchange for The Messenger. She adopts The Messenger as her companion and mate. He fathers a son with her.

Will The Messenger share his desire to kill the king with Aurelia? Will Aurelia become an accomplice? What will become of the kingdom? Will they give up the baby boy to the king as promised?

The plot is intriguing and the events are fast-moving. The author's style of writing keeps the reader on edge and prevents the reader from putting the book down. The story takes some surprising twists and turns. The reader will realize that things are not as they seem to be.

The author created a story full of mystery, suspense, action, and surprises. I could not put the book down until I had read all of the 51 pages. I enjoyed the fact that I had read a full story with intriguing and well-developed characters in less than 3 hours. The ending caught me by surprise and made me wonder what the moral of the story was. I concluded that there were multiple morals in the story.

Apart from a few editing mistakes, I found the overall story to be well-written. However, the editing mistakes did force me to pause and reread the miswritten sentences. The author is a good narrator. I hope the author will continue to write entertaining stories of the same length.

Due to the editing mistakes that exist in the book, I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I did not find anything else to dislike about the book.

A King Amongst Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Wow, this seems right up my alley! A book full of mystery, suspense, actions and surprises is bound to be entertaining and that it can be read in 3 hours is icing on the cake. You review is detailed and makes the readers interested in the book. The rating is encouraging, too. Thank you. Looking forward to read more from you.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

RJ Reviews wrote: 13 Dec 2023, 08:08 Wow, this seems right up my alley! A book full of mystery, suspense, actions and surprises is bound to be entertaining and that it can be read in 3 hours is icing on the cake. You review is detailed and makes the readers interested in the book. The rating is encouraging, too. Thank you. Looking forward to read more from you.
Thank you for your comments RJ. Be well. :techie-studyinggray:
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Gerry Steen wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 13:26 [Following is a volunteer review of "A King Amongst Us" by A.D. Lewis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you enjoy a fast-paced and vivid story that includes kings, gladiators, slaves, and slavemasters? Would you enjoy a book that you can finish reading in 3 hours or less? If you answered yes to these questions, you will enjoy reading the book entitled A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis.

This fictional story takes place in a kingdom in the city of Sit Nalta. The kingdom is ruled by King Augustus who overthrew the previous king in a coup during a civil war. The war had been spurred on by the outrage of many citizens who opposed the previous king's vision of encouraging trade agreements with other kingdoms overseas. They feared that foreigners would import pestilence and disease, steal their goods, and make them weak. They felt that their society was superior to that of the foreigners. King Augustus told the populace that they were the most powerful people in the world and that no deity could ever defeat them. However, King Augustus became an oppressive ruler and used his soldiers to torture the families of people who disagreed with his policies. These people were killed and their children were used as slaves. One of these slaves grew up to become a gladiator. The public knew him as The Messenger. He had a few good reasons to harbor resentment toward the king. He planned that one day he would kill the king.

Madam Aurelia runs an expensive and popular brothel known as House Aurelia. She buys the male slaves that the king has no more use for. Aurelia agrees to pay the king with her firstborn in exchange for The Messenger. She adopts The Messenger as her companion and mate. He fathers a son with her.

Will The Messenger share his desire to kill the king with Aurelia? Will Aurelia become an accomplice? What will become of the kingdom? Will they give up the baby boy to the king as promised?

The plot is intriguing and the events are fast-moving. The author's style of writing keeps the reader on edge and prevents the reader from putting the book down. The story takes some surprising twists and turns. The reader will realize that things are not as they seem to be.

The author created a story full of mystery, suspense, action, and surprises. I could not put the book down until I had read all of the 51 pages. I enjoyed the fact that I had read a full story with intriguing and well-developed characters in less than 3 hours. The ending caught me by surprise and made me wonder what the moral of the story was. I concluded that there were multiple morals in the story.

Apart from a few editing mistakes, I found the overall story to be well-written. However, the editing mistakes did force me to pause and reread the miswritten sentences. The author is a good narrator. I hope the author will continue to write entertaining stories of the same length.

Due to the editing mistakes that exist in the book, I give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I did not find anything else to dislike about the book.

A King Amongst Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I like short but complex stories. one of those that leaves you breathless. This book gives the sensation of being a horror genre, but thanks to your review I see that it is mainly about adventure.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Silverblood Promise
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: Faking Fairytales by Aimie O'Callahan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

I will read this one soon, so I am glad to hear that despite it being just a short story, the author made good use of every page to bring forth a complete experience.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

Sounds like an intense and gripping read! I'm intrigued by the mix of characters and the tension in the kingdom. The moral dilemmas and power struggles seem captivating. I wonder how The Messenger's plan unfolds and what choices Aurelia will make. Definitely adding this to my reading list!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”