Review by Kb3ck -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by Kb3ck -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Kb3ck »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book About Love by Scott Hughes is an interesting read to say the least. From the beginning, I gained understanding as to why the book stirred up controversy. Early in the reading I myself had a hard time understanding what the author was trying to convey. I was confused with questions I believed went unanswered. Upon further reading I came to the realization that the questions I once thought were unanswered were – in fact – indirectly answered.

The author begins with the Brock Turner case – if you are unfamiliar with the case I encourage you to read up on the case before reading this short book – and the hatred that ensued. Where the controversy begins is when the author states multiple times that he loves Brock, rapists, and child molesters, etc. as well as stating that he is not a rape supporter. How can one love a rapist and yet not be a rape supporter? That question is answered upon further reading; If the book is read in its entirety the reader discovers that the book, in fact, is about love and hate. It is harder to love than it is to hate and that hate has no “desirable outcomes”.

I found that my opinion of the book changed as I was reading. In the beginning, I hated what I was reading mostly because, at the time, I did not understand what the author was trying to tell me. Later, I was finding myself agreeing with the author and what he was saying. Love is harder than hate and it does require more work to maintain love. The author gives wonderful quotes from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the Bible to back up his statements on love.

Overall, I would give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I cannot give the book less stars for the fact that I did enjoy the reading. On the other hand, I cannot bring myself to give the book 4 out of 4 stars for the simple reason the beginning is hard to grasp. I believe many people would not make it past the first few pages due to a feeling of disgust. I encourage readers to finish the piece in its entirety. The reader may be surprised by how they feel upon completion.

The book made me think about my own opinions on love and hate. Upon finishing the book, I felt more enlightened and in touch with my own emotions. I realized that I do tend to react to most things with hate and that I could find other, healthier and loving was to respond to occurrences that I do not particularly care for.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kb3ck's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
jlm476
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jlm476 »

Great review! It does sound like the beginning of the book is very misleading. However, it seems the overall message provided in the book makes it worth the read. I may have to check it out!
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It does take strength to plow through the almost too offensive beginning and give the book another chance. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”