Review of Island Games

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Loretta Morris 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Island Games

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book, “Island Games” is an excellent read! The author presents shocking twists and turns of events. This keeps the reader focused upon Matthew and Ryan’s next move for survival on the mysterious island. Matthew and Ryan have many questions and no answers to the series of life-threatening events. For Matthew and Ryan teamwork becomes important to survive, which sparks a deeper commitment to friendship and brotherhood.

They woke up on a mysterious island. Mattew and Ryan had no food or water which produced fear immediately. In their search for answers and supplies, they were inspired to walk throughout the mysterious island. With each step came motivation, determination, strength, and immediate challenges. Among challenges and in fun, Matthew and Ryan found time to tease each other in the midst of fear and mysteries about the island. As a reader, I found that very amusing! As they walked deeper into the island, challenges to escape dangers became difficult. With their intelligence and teamwork produced an award of food and water, which impulse the boys to get off the island.

While reading this book, the author produced many emotions within myself. I was thinking of a way out with Matthew and Ryan. I was searching diligently for food and water. I felt the hunger pains and thirst for water. I smelled the body odor from Matthew and Ryan because of no bathing. I felt fear when both boys were separated temporarily. I smelled the forest and heard the rushing water in the distance too. I felt the climate change from hot too cold on my skin. The author pulls the reader into the book! The book has an excellent plot and a great ending in the book. The characters personalities were fully developed in the storyline.

I would like to rate this book a 4 or 5. Unfortunately I cannot do it, because the book has many run-on sentences. I have to rate this book a 3.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! Your vivid description of being pulled into their world, feeling their fears, and celebrating their triumphs showcases the author's skill in creating an immersive experience.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really enjo books that have descriptions that make me feel the same things that the characters do and this one seems to. I’m sorry to hear about the lack of proper editing, however. Thanks!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”