Review by Ria -- The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Review by Ria -- The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes

Post by Ria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Banned Book About Love by Scott Hughes is a book about both love and hate. Particularly in regard to criminals. The book was banned from Amazon because of strong reactions to its original title I Love Brock Turner. Brock Turner is a young man who was convicted of 3 felonies including sexual assault. Many people assumed the author was pro-rape without looking further into the book. Mr. Hughes says it’s not about the specific crime he chose to write about but about the principle he is trying to teach.

Mr. Hughes shares his opinion that instead of throwing their energy into protesting and punishing criminals, people should instead focus on loving them. I believe his point is that people expend their time and talents on fruitless activities such as gossiping about crime and trying to make criminals pay for what they’ve done. Instead they should be spending their time changing society so that there are less crimes. In essence, he says criminals are still human beings who need love.

The author spends much of the book talking about the importance of making a difference in the world through unconditional love for people. I wholeheartedly agree that this is very important. We do need to spend more time individually, as families, as communities, and as a nation thinking about how to teach better morals and prevent crimes like rape from happening. I like this book for that reason. However, I can understand why a lot of people were offended by the original title and even some of the content of the book.

This book would probably not appeal to rape victims or their families. Unless they were searching for healing and forgiveness. The way the author sequenced his ideas, though it did flow well, seemed counter-intuitive to his point. As if he were writing to shock people and then explain what he meant. I feel the matter could have been handled more delicately. Mr. Hughes also seemed to gloss over the seriousness of the crime—any crime. He basically said that justice is another term for vengeance—that people only want criminals punished out of hate. He asks, “Does 3 months or 3 years cure a murderer?” No. Obviously not. There really is no way for us to know what a just punishment is for a given crime. Still, I believe if you break a law there must be a consequence. Mr. Hughes just doesn’t seem like he cares whether they be punished or not.

I would rate this book a 2 out of 4. Though I liked the main point of the book I did not agree with the arguments behind it. I felt the main point was not solidly stated and yet was expounded upon more than necessary. I also felt the beginning was written in a carelessly offensive way even if that was cleared up by the end of the book. This book was thought provoking and will prompt heated debates.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ria's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thanks for your review! Interesting take on the book. I'm not sure if I totally agree with everything in your review, but you are 100% right about 1 thing...it definitely has the ability to prompt heated debates! :-)
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Thanks for this. Now I can know what's in the book ... I was curious.

I agree with you that punishing crime is not just about vengeance. There is such as thing as justice. If you deliberately kill another human being (except in an official capacity such as war or as an executioner after due process), there is only one completely just way to pay for the life you have taken ... with your own life. It's true that demanding the murder's life won't bring the victim back, but it IS the only thing he has to give that is commensurable with what he has taken. And it is justice, not merely, as some say, adding a second "murder" to the first. Murder means killing unjustly.

Nor is the death penalty for murder incompatible with rehabilitating a murderer. Knowing that he will face death might do much to clarify the murder's thinking, and perhaps awaken his empathy and his conscience, in the months before his execution. Then at least he could repent and die as a decent human being.

Of course criminals are people too. And like other people, they need to be firmly corrected where they are wrong. In many cases (especially wife-and girlfriend-beaters), this means a large amount of very tough love to show them just how wrong and entitled they are, and to get them to grow some empathy. Often we give abusers nothing but "understanding," and they end up burning or killing their significant other. I am thinking of Lundy Bancroft's book "Why Does He DO That?".

Sorry, I guess you got me on my soapbox here. Anyway, great review.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I think that the beginning was carelessly offensive in an effort to become provocative and invite readers. However It was a bit too much sometimes. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”