Review by Leese -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Review by Leese -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Leese »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I fully intended on going into The Banned Book about Love by Scott Hughes with an open mind. However, after reading about why it had been banned from Amazon and caused such an uproar that Hughes received such vile harassment, I prepared myself to read something that was going to make me angry, disgusted or just leave me shaking my head.

What happened was quite the opposite.

I was pulled into a thought-provoking, enlightening short piece of writing that left its mark on me and will probably change the way I think and feel about people for the rest of my life. I feel like it would have had the same effect on more people if they'd just given it a chance instead of dismissing it right off the bat.

Sadly, too many people in this world judge a book by its cover – or by its title in this case. Originally released under the title I Love Brock Turner, Hughes received a huge amount of backlash and hate from people who hadn't even taken the time to read the book and understand the message being conveyed. Despite money from each download being donated to charity, clearly displaying the compassion and good intentions of the writer, some people just couldn't look past the title of the book and what they THOUGHT it was going to be about.

This is not a story about Brock Turner. This is not a story about his case. This is not an essay defending his actions or exonerating him of his crimes. This is a non-fiction work about the human race as a whole. This is a book about you and me. This is a book about how we as people can make a difference.

The point that Hughes tries to drive home with this piece is that it's a lot easier to hate than it is to love. It takes strength, courage and understanding to love people despite their faults. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to hate someone. What he's not doing with this book is condoning the actions of a rapist, or of any lawbreaker. In fact, he states that he believes Brock Turner and other people guilty of such crimes should be punished, but they should be punished by the law, not by people forming a metaphorical lynch mob.

What Hughes is trying to make us realize is that nothing is achieved through hate. Hating a person doesn't change what has happened, or what will happen in the future. Hate doesn't lend its hand to helping anybody or righting the wrongs in the word. Hate is a waste of energy – energy that could be better spent loving and understanding fellow members of mankind.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I fully support the message being sent and the courage Hughes displayed by using such a controversial subject as an example. He delivers his point in such a clear, concise and empowering way that it enveloped me and truly made me realize how much hate there is in the world and that I, along with you, hold the power to change it.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like Leese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Eloquent review, it made me look twice at something I confessed I ignored because of the cover :oops: I thought it was some kind of self-help book and would never have bothered with it if I hadn't read your review. I'll definitely read it now. Well done!
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

A very good review! Though, there are different opinions on how the message of the book
could have been conveyed in a different fashion, avoiding narrations that sound like ranting,
repetitions, white spaces and around 10 pages of 'content' (I read this in some other review
of the same book!). Well, my review is here:

http://onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debo9967.html

Would appreciate your comments. Thank you!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Wow, you would make a great inspirational speech writer! I was so moved by your words and I'm sure Scott would love your review as well.

I love a book with a message. Especially a positive message about how the human race needs to do better and realize that hate won't solve anything. This seems like an interesting book that I should read.

Great Review! :romance-lovegoddess:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It is so definitely thought provoking and enlightening. Like you my expectation of the book was drastically changed as well. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”