Review of Stage Fright

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Review of Stage Fright

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Stage Fright" by John Gore.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

John Gore’s world turned upside down when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the age of 50. What was thought to be just a sore neck after sleeping in an uncomfortable bed after a gathering of various “thought leaders” discussing issues of great importance turned out to be stage IV throat cancer. The author writes about his journey to recovery as well as several major and minor (but serious) challenges he faced. The author incorporated 15 tips on how to cope with cancer throughout the book. Read Stage Fright:15 Rules For Coping With Cancer to find out more about his journey.

Good doctors are always required for someone afflicted with something as deadly as cancer, and I was glad to see that the author found good doctors like Dr. Marco Merida to help him as he went through chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery. In addition to good doctors, family and friends are the best support in times of need. It is shown in the book how the author’s family and friends played a big role in supporting him, especially his wife Toni, who was caring and intelligent, and her ideas saved the author from a lot of pain, effort, and anguish (no spoilers!). I was also happy to learn some new words like yeoman’s duty and rabbit warren. I liked the fact that even when the author describes his worst experiences, he never loses his sense of humor or his love for golf.

There was nothing I disliked in the book. I was immersed in the book, and I couldn’t stop till I finished reading it.

I didn’t find many errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited. There was almost no profanity and no sexual content. For the reasons stated above, I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars, and I recommend it to anyone going through cancer, who knows someone going through it or simply wants to know more about the author’s experience with it.

Stage Fright
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

My mom had a cancer few years ago. It's not a easy journey and the whole family feel the impact. I think this book will be interesting and can feel resonating to me. Thanks for writing thee review
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
_Rhea Jacob
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-jacob.html
Latest Review: Shades of My Mother by Nancy Descoteaux Culos

Post by _Rhea Jacob »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 04 May 2024, 12:35 My mom had a cancer few years ago. It's not a easy journey and the whole family feel the impact. I think this book will be interesting and can feel resonating to me. Thanks for writing thee review
That must have been quite a hard journey for you and your family. I hope the book can help you and your family. Thank you for reading my review.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Priya Murugesan »

I believe this book can help many people fighting cancer. This journey of the author might instill new hope in them.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”