Review by Celticlady -- The Banned Book about Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Review by Celticlady -- The Banned Book about Love

Post by Celticlady »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brock Turner is a young man who was charged with three felonies; assault with intent to rape an intoxicated woman, sexually penetrating an intoxicated person with a foreign object and sexually penetrating an unconscious person with a foreign object. Brock was sentenced to six months and served only three of those six months.

The case was an unusual one in that Brock was not charged as a rapist even though he did attack the victim and perform a sex act against her wishes as she was unconscious. In my mind, this is a crime that should have had more time than what Brock was actually charged with. That said, the author says he does not hate Brock Turner but loves him.

I get that why the author states that he does not believe in hate but loves everyone. Mr. Hughes explains why he feels that way, how hate is such a useless emotion. I kind of agree with that to a certain extent. Hate is an emotion that wastes a lot of time for the person that hates. It can ruin a person's life. On the other hand, the crime that this person perpetrated is a horrendous one to commit on a woman. I don't know how I would feel if I was the victim. Hate would probably be in the front of my mind.

I did a search of the story and I guess I can see why some people found the book offensive, a crime of any kind is terrible, but a crime against a woman, especially a woman that was sexually abused can cause a lot of people to hate the perpetrator. It is a touchy topic for a lot of people. There was a lot packed into the 18 pages.

Even though I don't particularly agree with the author, on loving everyone no matter what, I did enjoy reading the authors thoughts on this case. Well written and well edited. I really don't understand how the book was banned as I have read books that in my opinion should have been banned but have not been. I do understand how people felt about it though. Like I said before, rape is a horrible subject and to have the perpetrator get off with such a light sentence is very controversial. The real topic of the book was that love can overcome hate, but it takes a mighty forgiving individual to love someone that commits a crime.

I rarely read a short story style book, this one I was able to read rather quickly and it was easy to understand. I think as far as the topic and the author loving the criminal is probably not what most people would say. I guess you can love the criminal as a person but hate the crime? Not sure if that makes sense but after reading the book, I did go out and do some research and read the victim's statement. In light of how I felt about the story, I give the book 3 out of 4, only because I did not completely agree with loving a criminal.

The Banned Book about Love
View: on Bookshelves

Like Celticlady's review? Post a comment saying so!
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

I really don't agree that with those three heavy crimes, he was sentenced to just six months which he did not even complete. However, i would agree with the author about loving the criminal. But on the other hand, the person involved needs to be remorseful enough to earn that love.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It is very difficult to love a criminal so I agree with your review. Feel free to check out my review of this book. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”