Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In this novel, the author guides us through two contrasting storylines: Fairfax private investigator and Cynthia's romantic journey.

The plot revolves around Glenn Patterson, owner of Fairfax Private Investigator Company, and Cynthia, who worked for Senator Mike McBride. Both wanted to contribute to the safety of the country and the misguided orientation of young people. They built a group of two talented individuals, Tim and Garth, who could assist them in resolving issues and navigating.
They called themselves Cybernerds and designated the twenty-first century fight a cyberwar.

The author discussed powerful sites and groups that are destructive to citizens and can hurt the government, as well as how social media can be both beneficial and dangerous, and how it can be used for good. and how young minds are heading in different directions. The complexity of approach and technology used for numerous missions has been widely documented.

On the other hand, there is Cynthia's (h) romantic entanglement with Dan, with whom she has had a casual long-term connection for years, and Insta love with Sky, who is mysterious and felt on a superficial level without any deep or true emotions connected. Some actions occurred without consideration, and some mistakes were made without sorrow. . It was fast-paced without adding any substance to their romantic relationship.

The author's relationship plotline sent a powerful lesson about choices. We have been educated or informed about safe practices and pregnancy options.

How a woman can consider all possible options according on her situation, and how a partner can assist her on the journey. A choice that is free of weight is wonderful. That part of the story is praiseworthy.
Always,there will be choice message is strongly written.

This is a four-star ⭐⭐⭐⭐read for me.
I particularly enjoyed the part of the book that described the cyber war operation and how it was planned. Well written, with extensive research on organization, cyber concerns, and technologies. Appreciation for bringing up such sensitive topics.

Characters were hollow in romantic interactions; they moved swiftly without any deep emotions; entanglement lacked a firm emotional base, therefore it didn't connect well with me,hence the novel did not receive 5 stars from me for this reason.

My applause is for tackling realistic topics and issues and conveying a strong message through our work.The content of the book is carefully researched, well constructed, and edited on the spot, which made for a seamless reading experience because I found no grammar or spelling issues.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

The combination of cyber war and romance seems to be an interesting concept. The cover alone is intriguing enough, and reading your interesting review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this review.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 01 May 2024, 02:37 The combination of cyber war and romance seems to be an interesting concept. The cover alone is intriguing enough, and reading your interesting review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this review.
Yes! It's kind thrilling experiences reading.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I didn't enjoy this one as much as EMP Honeymoon. I also found the relationship part rather hollow, and for me, it actually got in the way of the cybercrime fighting, which was a far more interesting part of the story. If this has been split into 2 separate stories, I think it would work better.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 06 May 2024, 20:32 I didn't enjoy this one as much as EMP Honeymoon. I also found the relationship part rather hollow, and for me, it actually got in the way of the cybercrime fighting, which was a far more interesting part of the story. If this has been split into 2 separate stories, I think it would work better.
Exactly! I felt romantic part did damage rather than contribution of quality.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

I enjoyed reading this book. The cyber nerds were impressive and always managed to wage a winning cyber-war against the terrorists. The suspense and mystery around Sky kept me engaged and curious. I felt protective in regards to Cynthia and her choices. An intelligent and resourceful woman is still human after all. Great review! :techie-studyinggray:
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review provides a nuanced assessment of the novel's dual storylines, praising its exploration of cyber warfare and realistic relationship choices, while critiquing the lack of depth in romantic interactions, resulting in a compelling read deserving of 4 stars.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Homecoming Heist by Tyson Collin

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A good review. Based on your review, I am not sure if I would like this book.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Rajaee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rajaee.html

Post by Rajaee »

The themes like cyberwar and appropriate use of social media seems interesting and informative. Maybe the author could have avoided the romance subplot.
Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”