Review of Cynthia and Dan

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Andrew Darlington
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrew-darlington.html
Latest Review: Free and Fearless by Phil Moser

Review of Cynthia and Dan

Post by Andrew Darlington »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer is quite a unique fiction book that evinces a trend that is dominating our present society. In the digital age, where the global landscape grapples with cyber espionage and security challenges, the storyline's exploration of online threats and unconventional warfare struck a chord. Cynthia's life in the aspect of her job showcases traits worthy of possession for any brave and strong woman. This book not only entertains but also prompts reflection on the ever-relevant dynamics of our digital era. Don't miss out on this book.

"Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer follows the gripping tale of Cynthia and her brother Glenn, along with an unexpected ally, Sky, becoming entangled in a complex web involving mystery, relationships, and an unexpected venture into cyber warfare. The story takes an unexpected turn, navigating the complexities of Cynthia's relationship with Sky and Dan. Can Cynthia, Glenn, and Sky successfully unravel the mysteries of cyberwarfare, or will the intricate web of relationships and unexpected challenges prove too daunting in this suspenseful narrative? Read on to find out.

There were a few things I liked about this book. I was intrigued by the author's creative writing style. The descriptive details did not only create a vivid picture of the scenes but also immerse readers in the emotional moments, enhancing the overall storytelling. This book successfully weaves together themes of adventure, crime, romance, and career, offering a multifaceted storyline that caters to a wide range of readers. The editing and organization of this book are worthy of commendation. This book was very well edited, as I could not find any errors in it.

However, some sections of this book occasionally put me off. Most of the story felt very unstable and unrelatable, especially with the role Cynthia played. Her role in her job doesn't seem to align with her sudden relationship with a stranger named Sky. This book tends to provide excessive details in certain areas, such as Cynthia's security routine and the romantic aspects of her life. I found this imbalance in detail distribution overwhelming and potentially disrupting the pacing of the narrative. Some subplots, particularly those related to the cyber warfare theme, are introduced but not fully explored, leaving me very unsatisfied.

For the reasons above, especially due to the fact that this book left me with some questions and a sense of unfulfilled expectations, I will have to rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to all lovers of fiction and crime books.

Cynthia and Dan
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favy Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favy-moses.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Favy Moses »

Aside Cynthia’s relationship with sky I also love the cyber warfare, I learnt a lot from that. I would recommend this book to lovers of romance, crime and adventure. I enjoyed reading this review.
Azuka Christian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azuka-christian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Azuka Christian »

Im actually very impressed with the author's skill in writing this genre of literature. The book was a nice read, being a fan of action and science fiction, although there were several flaws Cynthia exhibited in the book.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

The book is interesting. I love the tech used in This book. The character development was top notch and engaging. Well done on your review well delivered.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sunday N Florence »

In "Cynthia and Dan," readers are taken on a gripping journey alongside Cynthia, her brother Glenn, and an unexpected ally, Sky. As they navigate through a web of mystery and cyber warfare, the narrative unfolds with unexpected twists and turns.
Dani Elle Ele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

Beyond Cynthia's relationship with Sky, the exploration of cyber warfare added depth to the story, providing valuable insights. This book, catering to romance, crime, and adventure enthusiasts, seems like a compelling read. Your review effectively captures the engaging aspects of the narrative.
Aurora Benjamin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aurora-benjamin.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd Edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Aurora Benjamin »

Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer offers a captivating exploration of contemporary society's digital landscape, delving into themes of cyber espionage and unconventional warfare. The book skillfully weaves together elements of adventure, crime, romance, and career, catering to a diverse audience.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your review, Andrew. It seems a good book with mystery. It is a pity that does not answer all the questions. Maybe there is room for a follow-up.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

"Cynthia and Dan" by Dorothy May Mercer offers a gripping narrative that delves into cyber espionage and unconventional warfare, while also exploring complex relationships and the strength of female protagonists in the digital age. The story unfolds with suspense and intrigue, inviting readers to reflect on the dynamics of our modern era.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”