Review of Then Comes The Flood

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dani Elle Ele
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dani-elle-ele.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Then Comes The Flood

Post by Dani Elle Ele »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Then Comes The Flood" by John Payne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Then Comes The Flood by John Payne is a complex narrative that explores various themes and features well-developed characters. The book introduces characters like Megan, Kayla, and Cindy, each dealing with regrettable decisions, losses, and unplanned pregnancies. This book weaves together the lives of characters at St. Jude Hospital, providing a compelling exploration of topics such as responsibility for a child's death, distinctions between judicial and spiritual justice, and the availability of alternatives to abortion. Relationships among characters initially cause confusion but are clarified as the story progresses, maintaining reader captivation.

This book was no doubt a fantastic read for me. The narrative adeptly incorporates Christian, Jewish, and non-religious views without bias, providing a thought-provoking exploration of Roe v. Wade and government control. The author's open-minded approach allows for a nuanced examination of issues surrounding abortion and justice, catering to a diverse audience. I did not see any errors in this book, which shows that it was expertly edited by the author. The inclusion of religious themes, Bible study, Christian, Jewish, and non-religious views without bias, and insights into non-profit management adds layers to the narrative. Megan's journey, shaped by a past sexual assault, is portrayed realistically, and the engaging female characters contribute to the book's depth.

The only flaw I witnessed in this book was the text alignment that was given to every chapter. Though it is a matter of choice by the author, I believe every book chapter caption should possess either a left or center alignment. The chapters in this book were written in right alignment towards the end of the book page, which seemed weird and unprofessional to me. Other than that, the book was a great read. Due to the flaws I discovered in this book, I rate it 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to people interested in thought-provoking books with themes such as tragedy, love, forgiveness, faith, and moral development.

Then Comes The Flood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sadiya_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sadiya-khan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sadiya_Khan »

Overcoming a trauma, especially while having an unborn child's responsibility, is one of the most difficult things. You did a great job of laying out the book's content. Keep it up.
Kelvin Suraj
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Kelvin Suraj »

Nice review you've got here. The book seem nice with a well engaging plot. The book is educational. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very interesting and well-written book centered around some difficult topics. I appreciate your review!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Mary Clarkee
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-clarkee.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by Mary Clarkee »

Thank you! Yes, the book does touch on some heavy themes, but it's handled with such skill and depth that it really adds to the richness of the story. I
Colleado Keana Rose
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleado-keana-rose.html
Latest Review: Rise and Conquer by Juan Partida

Post by Colleado Keana Rose »

Great review! The book appears to have a captivating plot and is educational. I can't wait to dive into it myself.
Martha Lopez 4
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martha-lopez-4.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Martha Lopez 4 »

I appreciate your thoughtful review. The book appears to have a compelling and engaging plot, making it seem like a worthwhile read. It also seems to provide educational value. I am looking forward to diving into this book myself.
Veronica Hunter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veronica-hunter.html
Latest Review: The Tainted Jade by Richard Blaine

Post by Veronica Hunter »

John Payne's 'Then Comes The Flood' is a masterfully crafted narrative that expertly navigates complex themes and issues. Payne's exploration of abortion, justice, and personal responsibility is both insightful and thought-provoking.
Chiemego Nwokolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiemego-nwokolo.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Chiemego Nwokolo »

A thrilling read I must say. Incorporating current, real life issues makes it wholesome all the more. I will recommend this book over and over again.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sunday N Florence »

The book is a captivating narrative that delves into various themes and features intricately developed characters like Megan, Kayla, and Cindy, each grappling with regrettable decisions and unforeseen challenges.
Dominic Emezuru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominic-emezuru.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Dominic Emezuru »

The author's ability to craft a gripping narrative that keeps you on the edge of your seat is truly remarkable.
Donaldo cris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donaldo-cris.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Donaldo cris »

I'm glad you found the review helpful! This book indeed tackles complex themes in an engaging and skillful manner.
Williams Nnodim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-nnodim.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Williams Nnodim »

"Then Comes The Flood" by John Payne intricately intertwines the lives of characters facing regret, loss, and unplanned pregnancies at St. Jude Hospital, delving into themes of responsibility, justice, and alternatives to abortion, all while maintaining reader captivation.
Amanda Kenneth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

"Then Comes The Flood" by John Payne intricately weaves the lives of characters at St. Jude Hospital, exploring themes of regret, loss, and unplanned pregnancies. It delves into complex topics such as responsibility, justice, and alternatives to abortion, captivating readers throughout.
Daberechi Precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

This book is indeed a nice and engaging. the book was well detailed and educating, well developed characters. Nice review you have here.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”