Review by hsimone -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Review by hsimone -- Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Heidi M Simone »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever encountered a time when someone new entered your life? Were you willing to accept this person? Or were you worried of their differences? In Kathleen Geiger’s children’s book, Farmer Beau’s Farm, the reader and/or listener explores this important aspect of life.

Farmer Beau and his wife, Bamma, discover six little kittens one day on their farm. Being loving farm owners, they would have loved to have kept all six, but only one stayed. They decided to name her Kailey Kitten. Kailey is friendly, loving, and playful. When she sees a potential new fur friend, Samantha (Sammy) Bunny, Kailey approaches the newcomer with calmness and intrigue. The two furry animals become fast friends.

Life was great until they heard a new and different animal was to join the farm. Uncertainty filled their every thought. When the new creature arrives, she seems out of place, strange, and overall different. Will this new animal cause Farmer Beau and Bamma ridicule from others? Will the endearing farming couple still love and want Kailey and Sammy?

In this lovely picture book, Geiger explores the theme of acceptance and friendship. Sometimes children, and even adults, have a difficult time accepting someone who is different from them. Here, we have two little furry animals, and they see a giant, long-necked animal. Almost immediately, Kailey and Sammy become fearful of this creature. Giving children a realistic situation in a light-hearted picture book like this provides the opportunity for conversations of acceptance to come along. With acceptance, friendships can easily form. After all, everyone needs a home and everyone has feelings.

I loved everything about this book. The pictures are drawn and presented beautifully. They are large and can be very appealing to young children. The plot flowed nicely from one page to the next with logical order, so it would be quite simple to accomplish a sequencing activity with youngsters. The language is easy to follow, yet introduces some potential new words: “romp”, “tinkering”, “burrowed”, etc. Therefore, a vocabulary lesson can easily be devised. In general, there are several ways to take this book to teach and/or have discussions about the very sensitive topic of differences.

Though I found one place with a missing quotation mark, this was still a wonderful read that, even as an adult, I fully enjoyed and found myself smiling the entire time. I highly recommend this to parents and teachers to read as a read aloud with their children. Of course, I would also recommend this to young children who enjoy animal books and reading about making new friends. Without a doubt, Farmer Beau’s Farm deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Farmer Beau's Farm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like hsimone's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I loved your review! I definitely can see Elementary teachers using this book in their classrooms, as well as parents at home with their children. It sounds (and looks) like a fun book about love, acceptance, and frienship. I love when authors embed life lessons into their books! Kids are enjoying a fun story about their favorite animal friends and learning at the same time! I'm happy to hear this is part of a series because kids will be able to join their favorite character on their next adventure!
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, tarafarah7! I taught for a few years, so when I read that the author is a retired third grade teacher, my mind went right back into the classroom. :) Animals and lessons to be learned are definitely a great combination. I'm happy this is part of a series, too! It would be a great way for children to start understanding what a series is at a young age, so very clever on the author's part!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I loved how you mention that this book is a great conversation starter between parents and children, I agree! Also, you mentioned something that I didn't realize until now. The author places potentially new words in the story that children can learn.

It's great that this is a book that will help children expand their vocabulary. Some children's writers simply write words that they know children will comprehend. They don't realize that it is okay and encouraged to challenge children with new words. It's great that this author does that.

Great Review! ?
Last edited by Amagine on 03 May 2017, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

That's what is kind of great in having multiple reviews of the same book - we all can find something different to talk about. Thank you, Amagine, for reading my review and commenting! I appreciate it. :D
Heidi

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I had fun reading the review. Though childless myself and my childhood passed many decades ago, I had my merry days of shopping for children's books for my many godchildren and recently, for my mom who had dementia for 8 years. (My mom passed away last year.) The review made me recall memories of enjoying the books with my mom and reliving the laughter and bantering we shared.

Actually, at my age, I do still enjoy children's books and Disney movies. The lessons we learn from them do not fade and are always true. I agree with the author who said, "Everything I needed to know, I learned in kindergarten."
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Miriam Molina! I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, but I'm glad that the review brought back some happy memories for you. It's always nice to hear that some of my words have a positive effect on others, so thank you for that.

I also love reading children's books and watching Disney movies - they're the best! I also agree with - "Everything I needed to know, I learned in kindergarten." It's such a great quote!

Thank you again for reading and sharing. :)
Heidi

Salwa mohamed hassan
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Salwa mohamed hassan »

I love the starting of the book it started well.. And it nice I enjoyed reading it I guess it will really help children because the language isn't that hard and the vocabulary are perfect and the cover book was beautiful
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It's true, the language isn't too challenging and the vocabulary is just right. I also love the cover - it's very cute. Thank you, Salwa mohamed hassan, for reading and commenting!
Heidi

OLUWASAMLEX
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by OLUWASAMLEX »

i think is more of a kid tales,considering the character,but there are lessons to learn considering it from ano :lol: :lol: ther view
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

OLUWASAMLEX wrote:i think is more of a kid tales,considering the character,but there are lessons to learn considering it from ano :lol: :lol: ther view
You are correct, OLUWASAMLEX, this is more of a kids' tale, and the lessons here are very valuable. Thank you for reading and commenting. :D
Heidi

Philip Cheborgey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Philip Cheborgey »

I love the way hsimone has review the plot/ development of this story particularly in teaching children the aspect of accepting others and accommodating their feeling. Initially, there was resentment in accepting someone who doesn't resemble them in to the farm. This is a feeling portray in some or rather many human hearts out of either jealousy or fear of competition. Therefore the development of the story instill appropriate learning experience to persons of young age on the acceptance of other or in other words- having a big heart of love.
It is a nice book I will recommend to developing mind to read in order to get good virtues in life.
Heidi M Simone
Currently Reading:

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you, Philip Cheborgey, for both the compliment and for sharing your thoughts! :)
Heidi

Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Seems like an admirable plot. Thank you for your review . I enjoyed it.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Snowyy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Snowyy »

I really liked your review. It is very well written.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”