Review of Enlightenment for the things that really matter

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekejiuba Gloria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekejiuba-gloria.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Prepared Bug-In Guide by S. Lee

Review of Enlightenment for the things that really matter

Post by Ekejiuba Gloria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Enlightenment for the things that really matter" by Mark Gumbrell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell is a novel based on historical, religious, and philosophical stories that the author used to open his reader's eyes to how to live a fulfilled life. There are things that we hold so dear in life which are not supposed to be. The issue of couples wanting to have more children thinking that the more children you have the more joy and fulfilled life you have. while according to the author, there are many children out there who are looking for a family that can adopt and show care to them. The author used his family history and philosophical reflection to portray and advise his readers that it is not only normal human beings who deserve care, happiness, and kindness rather any sentient being who has feelings both normal and abnormal deserves to be shown kindness and empathy and by doing so the world will be a better and enjoyable place for all to live.

Enlightenment for the things that really matteris an enjoyable novel and I love so many things about it. the opening created by the author caught my attention till the end as well as the author's emphasis on kindness, empathy, and fairness. The structure of the plot is a very good one because of its maintenance and development of the characters. I love Mark Gumbrell's focus on historical and philosophical reflections which he used to enlighten his readers on empathy, kindness, and fair treatment of any species that has feelings. The author also advises his readers to always express gratitude and seek happiness over what they have instead of acquiring material things that are temporal on earth.

I was able to find a few faults in the novel though not from the author but from his references where the existence of God as a supreme being was doubted stating that if God claims he created the whole universe that is complicated then he should be as complicated as the universe he created.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because one grammatical error was noticed which does not affect the entire book

I recommend this novel to people who love historical, religious, and philosophical novels. It is suitable for all kinds of religions as it does not dwell on a particular religion. This novel is not for people who do not like reading novels on religion and spiritual issues because the author dwelt much on them.

Enlightenment for the things that really matter
View: on Bookshelves
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

The title of this books speaks to me, it carries so much weight and so many possibilities. I agree with the message of all being deserving care, happiness and kindness. I think the focus on religion and spiritual issues is too much for me to read the book.
Muhammad Haikal Birton
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-haikal-birton.html
Latest Review: Anti-Black Prejudice In America by Anders Eklof

Post by Muhammad Haikal Birton »

Life is complex. Mark Gumbrell urges us to explore our own minds. We face legal issues and unimaginable cruelties. But together, we grow stronger.
Jones Mwaniki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jones-mwaniki.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 260%

Post by Jones Mwaniki »

This book is an eye opener in a way I didn't expect. I agree with the author's views, as the book offers a perspective rarely focused on or even considered a potentially taboo subject which, as a society, shouldn't be afraid to address.
Shiru Elizabeth
Currently Reading: The Riddle of Alchemy
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiru-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Kid Scientist by Lisa Hoffman

Post by Shiru Elizabeth »

The author of this book utilized parables from history, philosophy, and religion to show his readers what it means to have a happy life. There are things in life that we hold in such high regard that shouldn't be. Congrats on BOTD.
Alberta Hayfron
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alberta Hayfron »

This book is a profound and thought-provoking work that delves into the heart of what truly matters in life. The author, with a masterful command of language and deep philosophical insight, guides the reader on a transformative journey of self-discovery and spiritual awakening.

At its core, the book challenges the reader to question the superficial and often fleeting pursuits that consume modern society, and instead, to seek a deeper understanding of the essential elements that bring lasting fulfillment and meaning. Through a blend of personal anecdotes, historical references, and penetrating analysis, the author skillfully dismantles the illusions that often cloud our perception, inviting us to embrace a more enlightened perspective.

The book's strength lies in its ability to transcend the boundaries of traditional self-help literature, offering a nuanced and multifaceted exploration of the human condition. The author's insights are both profound and accessible, resonating with readers from diverse backgrounds and walks of life.

"Enlightenment of the Things that Matter" is a must-read for anyone seeking to cultivate a richer, more meaningful existence. It is a testament to the power of introspection and the transformative potential of embracing the truly essential aspects of life. This book is a true gem, a masterpiece that will leave an indelible mark on the reader's mind and soul.
Ekassiba Ochuku
Currently Reading: Journeying with God in the Wilderness: A 40 Day Lent Devotional Through the Book of Numbers
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekassiba-ochuku.html
Latest Review: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies by Johnny M. Sanchez

Post by Ekassiba Ochuku »

Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell is very captivating and enlightening. I agree with the fact that most people put a lot of focus and energy on things that do not matter a lot to them instead of investing in most important areas of their lives. The books information is relatable and educational. I can't wait to read the whole book and learn a lot from it. Thank you for a detailed review
Anshu Sharma_
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 16
2024 Reading Goal: 250
2024 Goal Completion: 3%

Post by Anshu Sharma_ »

This book look like a thought-provoking read, exploring important themes of kindness, empathy, and fairness through historical, religious, and philosophical lenses. The author's thoughts on these virtues and the advice to giving priority gratitude and happiness over material is great,and your critique of the references regarding the existence of God adds nuance to the discussion.
Your review has generate my interest in this novel, your thorough analysis and recommendation for readers who enjoy exploring such profound subjects.your review looks cool and meaningful
Upasana Vidish Purohit
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upasana-vidish-purohit.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 65%

Post by Upasana Vidish Purohit »

"Enlightenment for the things that really matter" focuses on religious and historical stories. Also, it says to show kindness and empathy to everyone who has feelings. I feel it is very true. I really resonate with Mark Gumbrell that we really need to make "the world a better and more enjoyable place for all to live." Congratulations on BOTD!

Osvaldo Borghese
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osvaldo-borghese.html
Latest Review: The Red Movement by Shadan Kapri
fav_author_id: 26410
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 85%

Post by Osvaldo Borghese »

Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell is journey through empathy, kindness, and good sense. Focusing on religion and history. This is an interesting and meaningful book.
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

The book "Enlightenment for the things that really matter" by Mark Gumbrell, is based on historical, religious and philosophical stories, which the author used to emphasize that not everything we desire and cherish is appropriate and useful in our lives. Good review :tiphat:
my regards
Philip Charles

Post by Philip Charles »

This book by Mark Gumbrell is indeed enlightening, his focus on virtues like kindness, empathy and fairness coupled with parables as well as historical and religious stories tells us how important it is live a happy life rather than waste them acquiring material things of earth which are temporally.
Caroline Wambugu 1
Currently Reading:

Post by Caroline Wambugu 1 »

Mark Gumbrell's book "Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" offers an insightful examination of the pursuit of enlightenment in the fast-paced, materialistic world of today. Gumbrell encourages readers to look above the surface-level things in life and concentrate on what really counts by taking them on a journey of self-discovery.
The book's accessibility is among its most alluring features. Readers of all backgrounds can readily understand complicated spiritual topics thanks to Gumbrell's engaging and clear writing style. Regardless of your level of experience seeking enlightenment, these pages will provide you with significant insights.Gumbrell highlights the value of sincerity, compassion, and mindfulness throughout the entire book as means of achieving enlightenment. .. In order to assist readers grow these qualities in their own lives, he offers exercises and practical suggestions based on a wide range of spiritual traditions and beliefs.
On a scale of 1-5would give it 5.The focus of "Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" is on using spiritual concepts to solve problems that arise in daily life. Gumbrell demonstrates to readers how to incorporate spiritual practice into their daily routines, jobs, and relationships in addition to offering lofty goals. In doing so, he shows that enlightenment involves both transcending the world and changing our perception of it.All things considered, reading "Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" is incredibly uplifting and inspirational. It pushes readers to reconsider their values and lead more purposeful lives.
Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" by Mark Gumbrell is not known for containing explicit sexual content.
Although Mark Gumbrell's "Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" is widely praised for its perceptive examination of spiritual development and mindfulness, there might be a few drawbacks or restrictions to take into account:
1.Repetitive Content: I could notice that some ideas or concepts are brought up several times in the book, giving the impression that the information is being repeated.
2.Prejudice based on culture:The viewpoint of the book may be viewed as culturally biased or as not aligning with the reader's own spiritual or philosophical framework, depending on their background and beliefs.
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire by H. J. Chammas
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 34%

Post by Uma gupta »

This insightful review highlights the strengths of "Enlightenment for the things that really matter" by Mark Gumbrell, praising its focus on kindness, empathy, and philosophical reflections. While noting a minor fault, the reviewer rates it 5/5 stars.
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for sharing the review of "Enlightenment for the Things That Really Matter" by Mark Gumbrell. It sounds like a thought-provoking and enlightening read, exploring themes of kindness, empathy, and the pursuit of fulfillment in life. The author's incorporation of historical, religious, and philosophical elements to convey these messages seems intriguing. While there may be some debate around certain philosophical concepts like the existence of God, it appears the novel encourages readers to reflect on deeper aspects of life and humanity. Overall, your review highlights the book's strengths in narrative structure, character development, and thematic depth.
Tomi Ahmed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”