Review of The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 165%

Review of The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross" by Solon Phillips, Esq..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

You may not be born into riches, but how you perceive your life can make a huge difference. When one accepts their circumstances and works positively towards achieving goals, it can lead to an enriching life. The Adventures of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq., effectively imparts life lessons to young readers, which change their perception and help them lead a fulfilling life.

13-year-old Ross attends school closer to his uncle’s place, as his mom believes the school closer to her brother’s place provides a better environment for his intellectual growth. After school, Ross spends time at Uncle Billy’s house until his mother’s work shift is over. As a single mother, Ross’ mother tries to do her best to provide for Ross. But since Ross is a child, it is difficult for him to adjust to his life. Ross laments about being poor and how much he hates having to adjust accordingly in different situations as a consequence of being poor. Ross shares his issues with Uncle Billy, who, in turn, changes Ross’ perspective and provides solutions to his problems. Uncle Billy encourages Ross to work hard, and the various lessons he teaches Ross boost his mental peace and fill him with positivity.

The author reveals the characteristic traits of the characters bit-by-bit, relevant to the ongoing situation in the storyline. I truly enjoyed this aspect of the book. Ross feels comfortable sharing issues that bother him with his uncle. Uncle Billy’s irritability and anger are balanced with calmness and gentleness as he teaches Ross important life lessons. The two share an adorable bond. Uncle Billy not only shares his words of wisdom with Ross but also makes him actively participate in the exercises relevant to his teachings. This way, Ross does not passively listen to his uncle. The exercises help him put those teachings into practice and carry them with him all his life. I felt this was a great idea to help children remember and value the life lessons taught to them.

I did not find any errors while reading this book. Therefore, I believe this book was professionally edited. I have no criticisms of any sort or suggestions for improvement. I enjoyed the ‘life adventures’ of Uncle Billy and Ross. Therefore, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to preteens and teenagers who will benefit from the life lessons in it. Adults can read this book to understand the concerns of today’s children. They can also learn a different approach to teaching their children valuable lessons.

The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: The Curious Cousins and the African Elephant Expedition by Dr. Debra Ford Msc.D

Post by Gerry Steen »

Runan wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 13:51 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross" by Solon Phillips, Esq..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

You may not be born into riches, but how you perceive your life can make a huge difference. When one accepts their circumstances and works positively towards achieving goals, it can lead to an enriching life. The Adventures of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq., effectively imparts life lessons to young readers, which change their perception and help them lead a fulfilling life.

I did not find any errors while reading this book. Therefore, I believe this book was professionally edited. I have no criticisms of any sort or suggestions for improvement. I enjoyed the ‘life adventures’ of Uncle Billy and Ross. Therefore, I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to preteens and teenagers who will benefit from the life lessons in it. Adults can read this book to understand the concerns of today’s children. They can also learn a different approach to teaching their children valuable lessons.

This well-written review shows the importance of young adolescent males having an adult-male role model who they can look up to and recieve guidance from. This is especially important if they are being brought up by their single mother. Uncle Billy is able to talk sense into his nephew Ross. Ross loves his mother but is not able to talk to her in the same way that he talks to Uncle Billy. This book is fun, inspirational, and filled with lessons on life.:techie-studyinggray:
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Is this a non-fiction book? The cover makes it look like one. It is nice that Ross has his Uncle Billy to lean on. Thanks for the great review.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Recipe Book for Kids by Lloyd Edward Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 620%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks for your review, Runan. It seems a good book to read, with the relationship between the two is honest and transparent for the readers.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Mari Thompson wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 01:02 Is this a non-fiction book? The cover makes it look like one. It is nice that Ross has his Uncle Billy to lean on. Thanks for the great review.
Yes, this is a non-fiction book. Thank you for reading my review and leaving kind comments.
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Cristiano Bellucci wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 04:13 Thanks for your review, Runan. It seems a good book to read, with the relationship between the two is honest and transparent for the readers.
Yes, definitely. I enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for taking the time to read my review and leave a comment. :tiphat:
Runan
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

This book has great teachings for both teenagers and adults. I'm glad to read that young Ross had someone to share his struggles with. I'm not sure I will read this book, but I appreciate your review. Keep up the good work, Runan!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Gerry Steen wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 14:34
Runan wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 13:51 [Following is a volunteer review of "The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross" by Solon Phillips, Esq..]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This well-written review shows the importance of young adolescent males having an adult-male role model who they can look up to and recieve guidance from. This is especially important if they are being brought up by their single mother. Uncle Billy is able to talk sense into his nephew Ross. Ross loves his mother but is not able to talk to her in the same way that he talks to Uncle Billy. This book is fun, inspirational, and filled with lessons on life.:techie-studyinggray:
This book definitely has valuable lessons for the young reader. Thanks for reading my review. :tiphat:
Runan
Runan
Currently Reading:

Post by Runan »

Anaïs Quesson wrote: 25 Feb 2024, 13:47 This book has great teachings for both teenagers and adults. I'm glad to read that young Ross had someone to share his struggles with. I'm not sure I will read this book, but I appreciate your review. Keep up the good work, Runan!
Thanks for reading my review and sharing your thoughts about the book. Thank you for the appreciation.
Runan
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Who Will Accompany You? by Meg Stafford, Kate Stafford, Gale Stafford

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

This book, where an uncle passes on wisdom to his child, infused with a perspective from people of color, sounds like a captivating journey. Your review has fueled my excitement to dive into its pages even more. Thanks a ton for sharing your thoughts. What an awesome review!
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”