Review of Philosophy from the Mud

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Dreams Are to Be Lived
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff-kanda.html
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Review of Philosophy from the Mud

Post by Jeff Kanda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Philosophy from the Mud" by Erik Quisling.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling is a philosophically dense book, despite its brevity. The book explores existential themes using wit, dark humor, and a touch of absurdity. The author prompts the reader to contemplate complex concerns regarding existence, mortality, significance, and humanity's role in the universe, rather than offering straightforward lessons. Get ready to embark on a journey of self-discovery with a disillusioned clam, a cynical ant, and a triumphant yet unfulfilled worm as they navigate the everyday realities of a clam bed, an anthill, and the soil in a garden. This book combines comedy with grit in a way that reveals tremendous beauty for those who are prepared to explore it. Will you read it?

The heart of the book lies in its three protagonists: a disillusioned clam, a cynical ant, and a triumphant yet unfulfilled worm. I admire the author's use of each character to explore self-discovery, with their challenges reflected in the ordinary settings of a clam bed, an anthill, and a garden's soil. The author incorporated the narratives of his sister, Tori, and himself.

There are many elements in this novel that appealed to me. I truly like Quisling's minimalist style, which I consider to be one of the book's key merits. The concise writing style and uncomplicated drawings immediately immerse the reader in the characters' thoughts. The writing avoids superfluous explanation and provides just the right amount of detail to create vivid imagery and provoke deep emotions. The conciseness of the text promotes repeated readings, with each one uncovering further depths of significance in the apparently simple stories.

The fables are laced with a dark humor that cuts deep. I laughed when the clam's existential turmoil prompted him to embrace Islam, but he quickly renounced it, stating that God appeared unresponsive to his inquiries. This combination of humor and philosophical exploration captivates and amuses the reader while also bringing to light unsettling realities about the absurdity of life.

This book does not provide straightforward morals like traditional fables. Every narrative ends with an open-endedness that encourages contemplation and personal analysis. This uncertainty is thought-provoking, encouraging readers to engage with the questions independently rather than being given straightforward answers.

There is absolutely no single thing about this book that I disliked, and I therefore think it is fair to give it a rating of five out of five stars. I did not find any grammatical errors and I therefore believe that the book was exceptionally well edited. This book is not only entertaining but also educational. It provokes conversations about life, death, purpose, and the limitations of existence. It challenges us to consider the perspectives of creatures often overlooked, reminding us that even the smallest lives can hold profound meaning. I highly recommend this book to readers who appreciate unconventional narratives and dark humor with a bite. People from every religion can read this book because the author used the universe to describe the source of energy behind everything.

Philosophy from the Mud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a very interesting book that presents philosophical material through stories that make the material easier to understand and reflect on. These philosophical questions are relevant to everyone and can be very meaningful for someone to reflect on. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am so glad that you enjoyed this book. It is interesting to see the perspectives of creatures that humans consider so far beneath them are the one that Mr. Quisling decided to use. I guess it just goes to show that everyone, even a clam, deserves respect. Thanks!
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP
Latest Review: Almost Everything You Wanted To Know About Tickling by Duncan Taub

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Julie Basil wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 13:13 This sounds like a very interesting book that presents philosophical material through stories that make the material easier to understand and reflect on. These philosophical questions are relevant to everyone and can be very meaningful for someone to reflect on. Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the kind comment Julie. The book is interesting.
Jeff Kanda
In It Together VIP

Post by Jeff Kanda »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Mar 2024, 14:44 I am so glad that you enjoyed this book. It is interesting to see the perspectives of creatures that humans consider so far beneath them are the one that Mr. Quisling decided to use. I guess it just goes to show that everyone, even a clam, deserves respect. Thanks!
We are all unique and well desreve respect. Quinsling wrote an interesting book. Thanks for commenting.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

The characters choice by the author is really nice i.e.disillusioned clam, a cynical ant, and a triumphant yet unfulfilled worm and I like that it has humor in it .GREAT REVIEW
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

A book that uses philosophy to present concepts through story. It seems that the perspective from which the author spoke is interesting. I liked the idea of mixing humor with philosophy, as it lightens things up. Beautifully written review!
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Jeff Kanda wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 06:46 [Following is a volunteer review of "Philosophy from the Mud" by Erik Quisling.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling is a philosophically dense book, despite its brevity. The book explores existential themes using wit, dark humor, and a touch of absurdity. The author prompts the reader to contemplate complex concerns regarding existence, mortality, significance, and humanity's role in the universe, rather than offering straightforward lessons. Get ready to embark on a journey of self-discovery with a disillusioned clam, a cynical ant, and a triumphant yet unfulfilled worm as they navigate the everyday realities of a clam bed, an anthill, and the soil in a garden. This book combines comedy with grit in a way that reveals tremendous beauty for those who are prepared to explore it. Will you read it?

The heart of the book lies in its three protagonists: a disillusioned clam, a cynical ant, and a triumphant yet unfulfilled worm. I admire the author's use of each character to explore self-discovery, with their challenges reflected in the ordinary settings of a clam bed, an anthill, and a garden's soil. The author incorporated the narratives of his sister, Tori, and himself.

There are many elements in this novel that appealed to me. I truly like Quisling's minimalist style, which I consider to be one of the book's key merits. The concise writing style and uncomplicated drawings immediately immerse the reader in the characters' thoughts. The writing avoids superfluous explanation and provides just the right amount of detail to create vivid imagery and provoke deep emotions. The conciseness of the text promotes repeated readings, with each one uncovering further depths of significance in the apparently simple stories.

The fables are laced with a dark humor that cuts deep. I laughed when the clam's existential turmoil prompted him to embrace Islam, but he quickly renounced it, stating that God appeared unresponsive to his inquiries. This combination of humor and philosophical exploration captivates and amuses the reader while also bringing to light unsettling realities about the absurdity of life.

This book does not provide straightforward morals like traditional fables. Every narrative ends with an open-endedness that encourages contemplation and personal analysis. This uncertainty is thought-provoking, encouraging readers to engage with the questions independently rather than being given straightforward answers.

There is absolutely no single thing about this book that I disliked, and I therefore think it is fair to give it a rating of five out of five stars. I did not find any grammatical errors and I therefore believe that the book was exceptionally well edited. This book is not only entertaining but also educational. It provokes conversations about life, death, purpose, and the limitations of existence. It challenges us to consider the perspectives of creatures often overlooked, reminding us that even the smallest lives can hold profound meaning. I highly recommend this book to readers who appreciate unconventional narratives and dark humor with a bite. People from every religion can read this book because the author used the universe to describe the source of energy behind everything.

Philosophy from the Mud
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Great review, Jeff! I really like this book; there is something really special about it. I agree with you about Quisling's minimalist style. Fantastic job, and I wish you all the best!
Mfon Ukim
Currently Reading: Popop's Grimoire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Mfon Ukim »

What I understand from this review is that Philosophy from the Mud encourages individuals to reflect and to hold contemplate concerns about their reality. And this can be lovely disposition to have especially when it fuses wit and humor to make the experience worth it.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review points out a unique aspect of this book when compared to others I have read. It encourages you to find your morals in the fables that were presented. It is a book that provokes thought and allows you to draw your own conclusions. I like that the book encourages the reader to consider the situations and opinions of smaller beings. We all live in our own world as do the clam, ant, and the worm. Thank you for this thorough review. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”