Review of LaBlance Fish Tales Two

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sylveria Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylveria-savage.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance

Review of LaBlance Fish Tales Two

Post by Sylveria Savage »

[Following is a volunteer review of "LaBlance Fish Tales Two" by Peter F LaBlance.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If you're looking for a riveting and personal account of life in the Great Lakes fishing industry, look no further than "LaBlance Fish Tales Two" by Peter F. LaBlance. The book chronicles the history of the LaBlance family, from their early days on the water to the present day. With vivid detail and heartfelt stories, LaBlance transports readers to the heart of the Great Lakes, where generations of fishermen have forged a living and a way of life.

One of the standout characters in the book is Augustus LeBlanc, whose daring exploits as an Ice Walker in the late 1800s are immortalized in the annals of family lore. His harrowing journeys across frozen Lake Michigan to deliver mail serve as a testament to the courage and resilience of the early pioneers, who braved the unforgiving elements in pursuit of their livelihoods.

Through the memories of Emerald LaBlance's early years, Mike LaBlance's exploits, and Alfonso Sendenburgh's ambitious project to build a magnificent fishing tug, "LaBlance Fish Tales Two" paints an incisive picture of the LaBlance family. Through their accounts, I gained insight into the dangers and rewards of commercial fishing as well as the enduring ties that bind individuals who work the Great Lakes. The combination of these family histories makes for an engrossing book that perfectly captures a life lived.

But within the stories of adventure and success, there's a weakness that makes the book less enjoyable to read overall: the editing. Several obvious mistakes and inconsistencies threw off the story's flow, and this made it hard for me to fully immerse myself in the LaBlance family's world.

"LaBlance Fish Tales Two" receives an impressive 4 out of 5 stars despite this flaw, making it an engaging read. It's a must-read for anybody interested in fishing, family dynamics, or the Great Lakes region because of the depth and authenticity of the characters' experiences and their rich historical background. Prospective readers should be aware, though, that the book's editing flaws occasionally induce disruptions.

LaBlance Fish Tales Two
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your insightful review. The resilience of this family through the years is incredible. While I'm interested in their stories and factoids about their lives, I'm not sure I could bring myself to read the book. The editing issues would further compound this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”