Review of The Magician's Secret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alissa Deann Devargas
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-deann-devargas.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Magician's Secret

Post by Alissa Deann Devargas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When I think of magicians, I remember several tricks that I've watched or read about that they perform. Since ancient times, magicians have been known to provide entertainment through tricks. But the magician in The Magician's Secret was much more than an entertainer, he saved a nation from a pointless war.

Delvin and his friend, Greg, left their hometown for Hengel. Greg wanted to start working as a stable groom, while Delvin wanted to be a magician. He had learned several tricks from Borlock, the magician who often visited the village they came from. These two friends were successful with their goals. Greg found a job, and Delvin started doing pretty well as a magician. But things soon took a turn. Delvin was arrested, and he met Princess Jarla, who released him from prison. Before then, Delvin had been trying to understand some strange happenings. He noticed that the things he had wished for in his thoughts had happened. He associated it with the crystal he inherited from Borlock after his death. But he wasn't so sure if his theory was true. The story took some turns as Delvin and the princess overcame several obstacles to save the county. Were they successful?

This story started interestingly with Delvin being accused of murder. This piqued my interest so much that I settled for a good story. As the story progressed, I got to meet several other characters who improved my reading experience. But of all the characters, Princess Jarla was an enigma. She elicited so many feelings from me about her. I often interchanged between admiration and disapproval of her character. She was smart and knew how to take advantage of situations. But she was too cold, hostile, and unfeeling at times.

I didn't like how the magician's stone in this story was portrayed. I felt as though it was more of a toy than something to be taken seriously. Fortunately, this was my only dislike. I liked how unpredictable the story was. I predicted several climaxes and was pleasantly surprised by the several turns the story took. Although I felt that Delvin's reward at the end of the book was too poor, I noticed that it paved the way for another story, and I wouldn't mind reading the sequel.

This book deserves a 5-star rating. My dislikes did not detract from my enjoyment of this book. It was professionally edited. I especially liked how free-flowing the book was. It was fast-paced, but I didn't notice it until the book ended because I was too engrossed in knowing what happened next. I recommended this book to magicians. They might be inspired.

The Magician's Secret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Kikelomo Awowole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kikelomo-awowole.html
Latest Review: Prosperity Gospel by Roger Smalling

Post by Kikelomo Awowole »

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who appreciates magic and fast-paced narratives; it was a fun read. The main protagonists faced and overcame many challenges and hurdles along the way. The plot developed at a speed that held my interest. Fantastic review
Daberechi Precious
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daberechi-precious.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Daberechi Precious »

Lovers if magic and fantasy books, should give this book a try, the author did a great job on this book. Nice review, it was well detailed and interesting.
Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malachi-chukwuebuka-nelson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Malachi Chukwuebuka Nelson »

The books title is charming I also like the simplicity of the book cover . Well done on a review well delivered.
Sunday N Florence
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-n-florence.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Sunday N Florence »

Delvin's encounter with Princess Jarla adds depth to the story, as their alliance becomes crucial in saving their nation from impending conflict. Princess Jarla's complex character, marked by intelligence and occasional coldness, adds layers to the narrative, enhancing the reader's engagement with the plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”