Review of A Curate in Love

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agatha 4_life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-4-life.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Review of A Curate in Love

Post by Agatha 4_life »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Curate in Love" by Richard Hughes.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Curate in Love by Richard Hughes is actually a story about a curate who is in love. After graduating from the University College of Bangor, Wales, Richard Hughes begins a new job as a church curate at Mold Parish. Richard is so dedicated to serving his church, family, and community with his current job. However, he still maintains his relationship with his longtime lover, Ann. Ann Stephen is an insistent and enthusiastic atheist who is highly regarded by her family. Despite the conflicting religious beliefs, Richard is not ready to put a stop to the relationship, and neither is Ann. However, the parents of both parties seem to oppose the duo's romance. Will pressure from parents and Richard's job as a curator bring the enviable romance to a sad end? Get a copy of this book to find out.

Everyone needs to at least give love a chance. In the case of Richard and Ann, the only barrier to their love is religious belief. Were they able to get on with their affair despite the criticisms, or did they yield to the demands of their beliefs? Actually, I admire Richard's resilience and determination to make a difference in his job and, at the same time, keep up with Ann. I found the storyline captivating and suspenseful. The only thing I didn't like was that some details were overly explained. For instance, when Richard discovered a register in the church, so much history about the church was contained in it, and the author explained this in so much detail. Apart from this, there's nothing else to dislike about this book.

I give this book a perfect rating of five out of five stars. The editing was professionally done, as I didn't encounter any grammatical or typographical errors in the course of my reading. I recommend this book to Bible scholars, history lovers, and lovers of romance. However, due to the use of profanity, I strongly do not recommend it to young readers. 

A Curate in Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Agatha 4_life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-4-life.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Agatha 4_life »

Keep up with the good review. A curate in Love is more than an interesting novel.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

This sounds like a book that I would enjoy, although I can understand how the overly detailed explanation of some details could be a distraction. I will add this story to my to-read list. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”