Review of Bonds of Love and Blood

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Terry Kimble
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Review of Bonds of Love and Blood

Post by Terry Kimble »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bonds of Love and Blood" by Marylee MacDonald.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Bonds of Love and Blood by Marylee MacDonald may have permanently roused me from any future eschewing of short stories! As an armchair traveler and covert fly-on-the-wall, these twelve relationship-centered stories whisk the reader away to Thailand, Turkey, Canada, and other regions of the globe, along with compelling protagonists who are each at a crossroads or questioning their life’s enduring journey. MacDonald’s prose is evocative and detailed, making it a delight to read and naturally absorb. Each of these intimate stories left mental residual ruminating after they ended, pondering what might have happened next in the characters’ lives. Perhaps that was the impetus of this collection of short stories—to leave the reader wondering!

I was drawn in by the first story: A widower approaching the end of his life travels from his homeland of Japan to San Francisco, CA, for his (spoiled) daughter’s wedding. He meets the groom's family, experiences culture shock (thanks to the flamboyant antics of the groom's mother), and struggles to understand the behaviors and choices of young people in today’s world. The insights into his thoughts in this story filled me with melancholy; “In this world of ours, we eat only to cast out, sleep only to wake, and what comes after is simply to die at last.”

Another story that captured my heart was of a grandmother who indulges her beloved granddaughter in traveling adventures. In this story, they go sightseeing on Turkey’s Anatolian coast. They must do a lot of hiking and wade through an icy cold, rocky river. The grandmother has more difficulties, suffering more aches and pains than she had on past trips. Her young adult granddaughter considers none of this, leaving her grandmother physically (and emotionally) abandoned. The reader can empathize with the seventy-three-year-old woman's obstacles: “When I stepped in the water, a volt of ice raced up my right leg and exploded in a fireball against my heart. Cubes of ice caught in my throat.” Reading those vivid details induced a sudden chill in the air around me! But the entirety of the story warmed my heart. The reader is reminded that although aging is ultimately about loss, it is also about embracing the profound wisdom gained from the losses.

The author's descriptive and figurative literary voice treats the reader to envisage directly through the character’s mind and eyes: “…the V-shaped cleft of a mountain split down the middle by the earth’s upheaval. Already in shadow, the right face of the gorge rose straight up, like a loaf of pumpernickel lopped in half by a knife.”

Each of these twelve unique stories explores intricacies and unforeseen perils that steadfastly grate on human relationships and each individual’s psyche.
The author’s immersive writing style and exceptional editing allowed the narration to flow smoothly. I loved being compelled to look up world-famous landmarks and maps of faraway destinations and learn a few new foreign terms! Teşekkür ederim, MacDonald!

This book had nothing to dislike except that I wish the author could write sequels to all these short stories! I happily give Bonds of Love and Blood five out of five glowing stars on these grounds. I recommend it to adult readers, as it contains non-borderline expletives and some mild sexual references.

Bonds of Love and Blood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

This book sounds wonderful! I love short stories. The focus on the relationships of people travelling together in different parts of the world is intriguing. I look forward to learning more about different countries, cultures, and the human condition. I have added this book to my bookshelves. Thank you for reviewing this book.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

This seems like a very interesting book. I like short stories. Fantastic review—you gave us a nice taste of the book. From the example pieces you put, it looks like this is a very talented writer! So are you. It was a pleasure to read this! All the best!
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

I love short stories and stories that have compelling protagonists who are each at a crossroads or questioning their life’s enduring journey. This sounds like a great book. Thanks for the excellent review and recommendation.
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 15
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your insightful review. Like you, I often eschew short stories, but you have well and truly sold me on this book. I appreciate the author's vivid style of writing in the quotes you have provided. It sounds like the author really captures the feelings of these characters. However, I, like you, would be wanting the sequels to find out what happens next.

Maybe we aren't over our dislike of short stories after all!
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

This collection is not only engaging but also thought-provoking, prompting readers to ponder the complexities of human connections and the unpredictable nature of life.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you, Terry for your positive review. The book is fascinating, dealing with stories from all over the world. I will add to my bookshelf.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Terry, I love stories, and I'm an avid traveler, so this collection is going to resonate with me for sure. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'm adding it to my list right now.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

This review made me curious about reading the book because it seems like a fun and engaging choice.The focus on the relationships of people travelling together in different parts of the world is beautiful

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”