Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Review of Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath" by Randy Miller.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

This is a fiction based on the real events that occurred during the Vietnam War. The main plot of the book is about how the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs cheated 229,000 Vietnam Blue Water Navy Sailors by denying any compensation for illnesses caused by Agent Orange. The US Military had used this defoliant in Vietnam without any proper research and ended up exposing numerous sailors to poisoned waters, which led to various health issues like cancer and Parkinson's.

The author, Randy Miller, had served four tours in Vietnam. He was stationed on two destroyers and two cruisers. So, he has first-hand experience of the happenings in Vietnam during "Operation Market Time." He had poured out his observations and crafted a stunning book, which I immensely enjoyed.

The main protagonist is Zachariah Martin. He is a 17-year-old Vermont boy who leaves his family farm and enlists in the Navy out of his love for his country. He first serves as a deck ape on a destroyer named Hawke and later joins Providence, a cruiser. He progresses from a deck ape and a gunner to a skilled quartermaster. After he is discharged from his duties, he marries his childhood sweetheart, Tally Goodwin. The book follows the adventurous and emotional journey of Zack. It also portrays the strong love between Zack and Tally.

I adored the book completely. Firstly, it was awesome to know about the destroyers and cruisers. I have never read about it before. So it was enlightening to have insight into the structure and the workings of these majestic beauties. I was amazed to learn about the various roles and duties in the Navy. I was unaware of most of the Navy terms, and I was enthralled to discover their meanings.

The author has a knack for describing, and I appreciate his vivid descriptions. With his intricate detailing, he visualized everything before my eyes. I was captivated by the scuba diving scene. The action sequences involving the gunning and refueling were well-written.

The language style was difficult to follow at first. But after a few pages, it got easier.

The author had splashed humor here and there, which I relished.

Many characters impressed me, especially Tally and Barb. Zack is one of those characters that lingers in your heart long after you close the book.

I noticed only a few negative issues. Sometimes I got confused as there were many characters. But I believe that the story demanded such an ensemble of characters. In the glossary section, photos and maps could have been added for additional information. When reading, I felt a little sluggishness in the initial part. But these are all minor issues that didn't deter me from enjoying the book. I was just glued to the book.

I didn't notice any typo errors. The editing is incredibly good.

Towards the end, I can perceive the anger the author felt towards the authorities. The author conveys the pain and sorrow of the ill veterans. I can imagine the grief they experienced, and my heart heaves with despair. They had gone to war, believing their organization would take care of them. But they were just cut off and left stranded by the VA. I am just disheartened to see how the public administration works selfishly. Following the author's wish, I sincerely hope that Blue Water Naval Agent Orange Veterans receive the necessary compensation they rightly deserve.

My rating for this book is 5 out of 5.

I recommend this book to all history and action lovers.

Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review of Deadly Waterrs has intrigued me with a horrible reality that many war veterans face. Veteran's affairs is ineffective in helping many of them. I am also interested in knowing more about navy vessels and the Vietnam War. I am adding this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Thanks for your review. Hope you too love this book.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 06 May 2024, 00:41 As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Thanks a lot!
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review vividly encapsulates the exhilarating journey of reading "Deadly Waters," evoking a sense of adventure, emotion, and advocacy
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 27 May 2024, 07:08 This review vividly encapsulates the exhilarating journey of reading "Deadly Waters," evoking a sense of adventure, emotion, and advocacy
Thanks for your reply!
Harshitha Nayak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: The Adventurers of Uncle Billy & Ross by Solon Phillips, Esq.
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 69%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

I totally agree with your words. This war books always feels realistic than fiction because it definitely had happen to any war heroes. Such a intense book. You wrote well about it.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 28 May 2024, 13:19 I totally agree with your words. This war books always feels realistic than fiction because it definitely had happen to any war heroes. Such a intense book. You wrote well about it.
Thanks a lot!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”