Review of Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Coxon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Review of Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones" by Chris Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alex Harrington was on a mission when a hostile group abducted him. His kidnappers wanted to uncover his secrets for themselves. After taunting his abductors, Alex disappeared from their aeroplane mid-flight, setting in motion an unexpected path for his daughter, Maya, to follow.

Maya has completed her doctorate and was celebrating in a bar. She observed something odd and went to inspect. The bartender explained there was a parcel for her: it was her father’s diary. She had not heard from him in months and wondered what could have happened to him. The following morning, Maya discussed what she had read in the diary with her friend, JW. A man approached Maya and JW, offering Maya a job. Mysteriously, the man knew exactly where to find her. Find out what mysteries the diary and job offer held for Maya and what happened to her father in Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones is a mind-blowing adventure story full of twists, turns, and intrigue. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy conspiracy theory books like the Dan Brown novels.

I was awed by the amount of history and the number of religions and myths the author had woven together in a way that made sense. It was impressive. The alignment of astrology with the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Egyptians, the Mayans, and the Sumerians made logical sense. The author also managed to weave in a connection to why so many terrible things have happened recently. The overarching concept was brilliant and kept me riveted.

I enjoyed the characters and their development as they understood more of the secrets of the past. Much of the focus was, legitimately, on Maya and JW. I appreciated the influence of JW’s culture to support Maya’s journey. I would have liked to learn more about Layla, but she was separate from Maya for most of the book. However, despite their separation, the author avoided too much repetition when the characters were sharing what new insight they had learnt.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending. The book is part of a trilogy, and as the reader, you comprehend this is not the end of the journey. This matter was insufficient to affect my scoring of the book. However, I must reluctantly deduct a star for the editing. There were several typographical errors that another round of editing should have removed. As such, I rate this book four out of five stars.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your review promises that this will be a riveting read. I like the mystery aspect along with the interweaving of astrology with the Bible, Quran, Ancient Egypt, the Mayans and Sumerians. i have added this book to my bookshelves. :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

A very detailed review! I adore mystery novels. The plot sounds intriguing. I enjoyed reading your review and looking forward to reading the book.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

This sounds like it could have been a very exciting fiction book. It’s awful when books are not properly edited especially to the point where star deduction happens because of it. Authors and publishers need to fix typos and errors before books are given to the public. In my opinion when an author or publisher sends a book out to the public with more than three errors they lose all credibility with the reader. And the book has a disappointing ending, that’s rough. Thanks for your great review.
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

Wow! All these are music to my ears! I am a Dan Brown fan and this book sounds promising. You did an admirable job of highlighting all the essential elements of the book, making everyone interested in it. I wish the author would take care of the editing part so readers can enjoy it thoroughly.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

From what I have read, there is a kidnapping and alot of mystery. Maya reads the diary and is approached by a strange man. I wonder what else goes on and I will be glad to find out more
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Pioneering Nonprofit AI Initiatives: A Guide to Generational Diversity, Ethics, and Collaboration by Ainsley K. Hines
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you, Jennifer, for this fantastic review. It is a book full of twists and tension. I will add to my reading list.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Sounds like an interesting read and a book I would enjoy. Thanks for the review.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

Jennifer, this sounds like a fun read! I love a good mystery with twists, turns, and intrigue! I will keep my eye open for this one. Hopefully, I will find it on my list of books to review!
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Bound by Firelight
Currently Reading: Light Filters In
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 06:43 [Following is a volunteer review of "Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones" by Chris Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alex Harrington was on a mission when a hostile group abducted him. His kidnappers wanted to uncover his secrets for themselves. After taunting his abductors, Alex disappeared from their aeroplane mid-flight, setting in motion an unexpected path for his daughter, Maya, to follow.

Maya has completed her doctorate and was celebrating in a bar. She observed something odd and went to inspect. The bartender explained there was a parcel for her: it was her father’s diary. She had not heard from him in months and wondered what could have happened to him. The following morning, Maya discussed what she had read in the diary with her friend, JW. A man approached Maya and JW, offering Maya a job. Mysteriously, the man knew exactly where to find her. Find out what mysteries the diary and job offer held for Maya and what happened to her father in Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones is a mind-blowing adventure story full of twists, turns, and intrigue. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy conspiracy theory books like the Dan Brown novels.

I was awed by the amount of history and the number of religions and myths the author had woven together in a way that made sense. It was impressive. The alignment of astrology with the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Egyptians, the Mayans, and the Sumerians made logical sense. The author also managed to weave in a connection to why so many terrible things have happened recently. The overarching concept was brilliant and kept me riveted.

I enjoyed the characters and their development as they understood more of the secrets of the past. Much of the focus was, legitimately, on Maya and JW. I appreciated the influence of JW’s culture to support Maya’s journey. I would have liked to learn more about Layla, but she was separate from Maya for most of the book. However, despite their separation, the author avoided too much repetition when the characters were sharing what new insight they had learnt.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending. The book is part of a trilogy, and as the reader, you comprehend this is not the end of the journey. This matter was insufficient to affect my scoring of the book. However, I must reluctantly deduct a star for the editing. There were several typographical errors that another round of editing should have removed. As such, I rate this book four out of five stars.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
This book seems very intriguing and exciting. I would be interested in reading this trilogy, however I am not a fan of series that have a disappointing ending. It's a shame that the book has many editing errors since it seems like a great read otherwise. Thank you for the honest review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones" by Chris Reynolds seems to promise an intriguing blend of mystery, adventure, and suspense. The plot synopsis sets up an engaging premise, starting with the abduction of Alex Harrington and his subsequent disappearance, leaving his daughter Maya to unravel the mysteries surrounding his disappearance.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

Maya discovers her father’s letter, and that leads her to start her journey on an adventure. I’ve read some stories with a mix of mythology and ancient culture and traditions that start off with an adventure after discovering a letter. Though they all start off like that, the story shapes up well and is different, and the number of twists and turns keeps me hooked. That’s an impressive review. I liked how you summarized the book’s content. 
Runan
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm also a fan of Dan Brown and that genre of books, so this one sounds like one I must add to my list. Thanks for the heads-up about the ending, maybe the final one in the series will wrap everything up neatly.
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Renee S »

I am particularly curious about how the book aligns astrology with the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Egyptians, the Mayans, and the Sumerians in a logical sense. Perhaps I will pick up this book. Thanks for your recommendation!
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

It sounds like an interesting mystery thriller! The way the author connects history, religions, and myths from different cultures is curious and engaging. I'm curious about the characters' journeys, especially Maya's, and how they unfold. Definitely adding this to my bookshelves!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”