Review of Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Basil
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Review of Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones

Post by Julie Basil »

It is intriguing to hear that the author interwove so many different belief systems into a single book. This sounds like a very engaging story, although I am sure the editing errors were distracting. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Agatha 4_life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-4-life.html
Latest Review: Love All the Way by Aurora Carafa

Post by Agatha 4_life »

A very captivating review. I love mystery novels, especially about Egypt.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I am wondering how someone manages to get out of an aeroplane mid-flight.

It's always gratifying when authors do plenty of research that adds richness - sounds as if it was an important part of the plot here.

Thanks for your intriguing review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Alissa Nesson »

Thanks for your detailed review! This book sounds interesting, and just your description of it really makes me think of Dan Brown books! It’s so annoying how many books available for review have a slew of errors. I end up spending forever just writing down the errors in the first chapter. So frustrating. But this book still sounds like something I’ll need to check out! Dan Brown books are, I believe, the only conspiracy theory books I’ve read, but I was embarrassingly interested.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Jennifer Coxon wrote: 08 Mar 2024, 06:43 [Following is a volunteer review of "Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones" by Chris Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Alex Harrington was on a mission when a hostile group abducted him. His kidnappers wanted to uncover his secrets for themselves. After taunting his abductors, Alex disappeared from their aeroplane mid-flight, setting in motion an unexpected path for his daughter, Maya, to follow.

Maya has completed her doctorate and was celebrating in a bar. She observed something odd and went to inspect. The bartender explained there was a parcel for her: it was her father’s diary. She had not heard from him in months and wondered what could have happened to him. The following morning, Maya discussed what she had read in the diary with her friend, JW. A man approached Maya and JW, offering Maya a job. Mysteriously, the man knew exactly where to find her. Find out what mysteries the diary and job offer held for Maya and what happened to her father in Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones is a mind-blowing adventure story full of twists, turns, and intrigue. I recommend this book to readers who enjoy conspiracy theory books like the Dan Brown novels.

I was awed by the amount of history and the number of religions and myths the author had woven together in a way that made sense. It was impressive. The alignment of astrology with the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Egyptians, the Mayans, and the Sumerians made logical sense. The author also managed to weave in a connection to why so many terrible things have happened recently. The overarching concept was brilliant and kept me riveted.

I enjoyed the characters and their development as they understood more of the secrets of the past. Much of the focus was, legitimately, on Maya and JW. I appreciated the influence of JW’s culture to support Maya’s journey. I would have liked to learn more about Layla, but she was separate from Maya for most of the book. However, despite their separation, the author avoided too much repetition when the characters were sharing what new insight they had learnt.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending. The book is part of a trilogy, and as the reader, you comprehend this is not the end of the journey. This matter was insufficient to affect my scoring of the book. However, I must reluctantly deduct a star for the editing. There were several typographical errors that another round of editing should have removed. As such, I rate this book four out of five stars.

Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
This seems like a very interesting read. It's a bit of a shame the ending wasn't what you expected, but as you said, it's part of a trilogy, so it is understandable, and there is still hope. As for the editing, that can hopefully be fixed! Thank you, Jennifer, for giving us a taste of this book. An amazing review, and it was a pleasure reading it. All the best!
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

Thank you for your thorough review. I'm convinced about this book because the style is for me. It's one I may consider at some point in time.
Prohlife Jobs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prohlife-jobs.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Prohlife Jobs »

Such a shame about the many editing errors as this certainly detracts from an enjoyable reading experience. The plot sounds fascinating, and I would love to read the book. Thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”