Review of A Secret Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rose Nafula Oketch
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem

Review of A Secret Life

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Secret Life" by Mina Bancheva.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Secret Life by Mina Bancheva is an intriguing story interlaced with love and politics. It is set in Bulgaria in the 1970s, during the oppressive communist regime. It captures Yana's life while, in pursuit of freedom, she obtains a visa permit to travel to Wales.

In Wales, she is welcomed and hosted by Mary, a friend who was invited to her native country, and they became friends when she was hired as her interpreter. She meets Daniel, Mary's friend, and falls in love with him. She received the news about her mother's illness, and it forced her to go back home to Bulgaria. She is required to sign an agreement to work as an informant, spying and conveying information on Bulgarians in London who work against their country. Yana finally gets her visa in another way and thinks it has saved her from performing the task she had signed to carry out earlier. She is threatened in Wales, and they punish her sister in Bulgaria so she can fulfill the contract she signed in the past. Yana finds herself in a dilemma between saving her sister from misery or betraying Daniel, the man she loves.

I like how Mina Bancheva best portrayed how politics and those in power influence the lives of ordinary citizens. Yana made decisions she didn't want due to influence from those in power and politics. I felt sympathy for her, significantly how her life was changing to sadness, betrayals, guilt, and disappointments. I was impressed by the courage people showed when fighting for their freedom and bringing down the system that was instilling fear in their lives. It showed how tired they were of living in constant fear and their thirst for freedom.

I learned the significance of forgiveness and that it brings people together and brings happiness. The pace was good, and you would always feel energized in the book. Mina used Bulgarian names for events, foods, and people, which I enjoyed reading whenever I came across them. The character's emotional journey is captured and explained in the book. Murder, corruption, oppression, betrayal, social culture, politics, and love are among the themes in the story.

I noticed some errors, which were the aspects I didn't like in the book. Therefore, I will rate A Secret Life four out of five stars. I deprive it of one star because of the errors. The editing was professional. I recommend A Secret Life to people who enjoy political drama and love stories.

A Secret Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem
Loice Akello
Currently Reading: The unfakeable
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loice-akello.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 62%

Post by Loice Akello »

Thank you for your insightful review. I have developed a need to read "A secret Life". Congratulations.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”