Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jimmy Cook
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-cook.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures

Post by Jimmy Cook »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Donny required extra attention due to his Down syndrome. Donny vanished during a family outing to the zoo, sparking a thorough search for him. After searching all around for thirty minutes, Donny's observant 10-year-old sister, Mary Grace, finally figured out where he may be when she came across a picture she had snapped of him moments before. 

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures is a children's book by Catherine A. Pepe. Following Donny's parents missionary trip to Africa, Mary Grace and Donny find it difficult to acclimate to their new life in California. The siblings usually have unique difficulties at school since an unidentified individual frequently bullies Donny because of his condition. Nevertheless, despite the problems, Mary Grace finds a way to investigate the matter by teaming up with her grandma and grandmother's pals to solve the mystery as part of the Grandma Gang.

I was drawn to this book because it was based on the author's experiences. It made the book more relatable and exciting. After reading this book, I was able to comprehend what it could be like to have a sibling like Donny as a child. 

The author expertly captured the suffering and anguish Mary Grace and her brother went through as they were oppressed at their new school. Mary Grace's incredible forgiveness and sensitivity nevertheless truly captured my attention. She was more of a kind person than a bright student. 

I appreciated the author's approachable writing style. When a literary work opens with an intriguing incident that suggests a fascinating plot to come, it is typically a good indicator. The author skillfully introduces us to the astute Mary Grace in the book's first chapter, setting up delicious anticipation for the remainder of the story. Amazingly, I did not dislike anything about the book. It was perfectly edited because there were no grammatical problems in it. I give the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars because the plot was fantastic and educational. I recommend this book for children who are victims of bullying and adults who may benefit from its lessons. 

Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hyfr Zack
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyfr-zack.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Hyfr Zack »

This is a children's book but I feel like an adult can read it and still enjoy the plot of the book. Mary was my favorite character. Nice review.
Hakim Kelvin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hakim-kelvin.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Hakim Kelvin »

The characters of this book was carefully developed. I liked that this book emphasized on bullying as a topic. It would really help a lot of children
Mateo Kante
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mateo-kante.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mateo Kante »

I enjoyed reading this book. I liked how Mary defended her brother from the people that bullied him. It was pure love and it motivated me.
Walter Jesse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-jesse.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Walter Jesse »

I got to know more about Down Syndrome from reading the book. Also, I enjoyed the writing style of the author. It was so smooth and interesting.
Jason Felixx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-felixx.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jason Felixx »

Mary played the role of a mother in her brother's life when their mother was away. I was motivated by what she did in this book.
Stella Wick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-wick.html

Post by Stella Wick »

The character development of the book was properly done and the book was filled with suspense. I enjoyed reading the book. Fantastic review.
Emeka JohnObi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-johnobi.html
Latest Review: Grace Revealed by Frederick J. Sievert

Post by Emeka JohnObi »

This review is fantastic! You highlighted all the key points of the book.
Amanda Kenneth
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-kenneth.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Amanda Kenneth »

Mary Grace's quick thinking and observation skills proved invaluable when Donny, who required extra attention due to Down syndrome, went missing during a family zoo outing.
Jason Felixx
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-felixx.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Jason Felixx »

This is a captivating review providing a nuanced exploration of the book's themes. Engaging analysis that sparks curiosity and invites readers to delve into its pages.
Stella Wick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-wick.html

Post by Stella Wick »

This is an insightful review capturing the essence of the book's message. Engaging analysis that provokes thought. Both children and adults can enjoy this book.
Mateo Kante
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mateo-kante.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Mateo Kante »

A captivating review, expertly exploring the book's themes. Engaging critique that prompts reflection. Leaves readers enlightened and eager to embark on their own literary adventure.
Joy Stanley
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-stanley.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Joy Stanley »

Your review provides valuable insight into the book's themes and characters. I appreciate your thoughtful analysis, which helps readers understand its significance and encourages further exploration. Well done.
Onuoha Joy
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onuoha-joy.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Onuoha Joy »

Your review offers a compelling glimpse into the plot of the book. Your thoughtful analysis sparks curiosity and invites readers to embark on a journey of discovery within its pages.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”