Review of 2084

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwagbenga Akangbe
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Fireproof Happiness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwagbenga-akangbe.html
Latest Review: The Blackened Yonder by Justin R. Gibson
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 210%

Review of 2084

Post by Oluwagbenga Akangbe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "2084" by Kadon Landon Peterson.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"2084: Book One: 2069" by Kadon Landon Peterson is a thought-provoking addition to the dystopian genre. The novel is set in a transhumanist utopia created by four founders, each leading their respective factions. As tensions rise, the possibility of all-out warfare looms, and amidst this, a man and his literal foxy accomplice contemplate taking over the world. 

I praise this book for its well-written story and psychological depth. The storytelling is superb, with a dramatic arc that promotes deep character transformation and a well-constructed universe. The narrative invites readers to explore complex themes such as power, identity, and societal control, offering a rich and immersive experience.

However, the pacing can be uneven at times, particularly during the protagonist Dune Brunswick's introspective moments, which may affect reader engagement. Despite this, the world-building is exceptional, presenting a realistic depiction of a society divided between order and chaos.

Characters like Dune and Fennec are intricately developed, adding layers of complexity and intrigue. The book handles sensitive subjects with clarity and depth, and the clean, flawless editing enhances the reading experience. Kadon Peterson's ability to weave a complicated storyline that challenges perceptions and encourages introspection is evident throughout the novel. While the book may not resonate with everyone, those who are willing to engage with its deeper themes will find it impactful.

Overall, the novel is a commendable work that bends the conventions of dystopian fiction. Considering its thought-provoking narrative, well-crafted characters, and meticulous world-building, I would rate "2084" by Kadon Landon Peterson 5 out of 5 stars. I found no errors and only mild profanities in the book, which makes it a great find for everyone. It's a must-read for speculative fiction enthusiasts who are seeking a fresh take on the genre, and I am enthusiastically looking forward to the next book in this franchise. 

View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jennifer Coxon
Currently Reading: Cancer, Faith & Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-coxon.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards

Post by Jennifer Coxon »

Thank you for your detailed review. I am a fan of dystopian fiction and this book is of interest. I am concerned that you noted the uneven pacing, as that can be quite off putting. Maybe it is one I need to try and find out for myself.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am reading this book now and I can see a lot of the things that you discuss. The world that he creates is appealing and, to me at least to me, a great representation of what may happen. Thanks!
Tijesuni Ayobami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tijesuni-ayobami.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by Tijesuni Ayobami »

I just picked this book and there's so much of the things you explained in the review. Kudos on a well written review and good luck in your next ones
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”