Review of Opaque

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Opaque

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Opaque
Calix Leigh-Reign.

'Opaque' is one of a series of books in the Scion Saga. The cover illustration is dark with stars like the night sky, yet if looked at closely, a human figure can be imagined, giving it a strange, almost supernatural feel, rather like the story. The reader is introduced to Adam, son of JoAnn and Mark, who lives in Piure. Adam is melancholic and troubled; something 'within' him makes him feel different. His senses are constantly alert: he tastes rust, feels bodily heat, hears the wind (which he calls 'zsita'), and his sense of smell is very keen. He is hyper-sexual and feels lust especially (and uncomfortably for the reader) for his mother. He lives a life fraught with frustration and a yearning that he cannot identify. Then Carly Wit, a new girl at school, arrives in his life. In her, he finds a profound, magical, superhuman genetic trait which he shares, and together, they join the other 'descendants' to find a way to avoid and perhaps eliminate the evil Iksha, who will kill them all.

Being new to this series, as I read the first part of the book, I thought it was a book about a frustrated, typical morose teen with testosterone coursing through his veins, and I would have been happy with that, as it would have made a good novel, with the development of his character. I soon realised why the book is for the 'young adult' audience as the story went beyond fantasy.

'Opaque' is well written, with lovely descriptive prose. The characters are brought to life very well. I liked the chapter titles; they were intriguing. There were no grammatical errors, and I found the book enjoyable and addictive (even though I'm not a 'young adult'). For these reasons, I will award the book a 5-out-of-5-star rating.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

While young adults aren’t my favorite form of literature, they do have something to add. From the review I read, the book seems like an exceptional read but what was the author thinking when they made him have a crush on his mother??

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”