Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book takes me back to my school days. Back then, I experienced bullying because I have ADHD and often had tantrums. My parents were also unaware of psychological issues, so whenever there was a problem, I would often be the one blamed.

I often felt different and strange compared to others. Especially as a Chinese-Indonesian minority here, it was even harder for me to accept myself as I am. I might even envy Edwin in this story who has supportive parents. Most of my problems I kept to myself until I went to college out of town.

Everything changed when I went to college. Since then, I've enjoyed reading psychology books related to self-acceptance. I also attended some webinars by well-known local authors, and some introduced me to children's storybooks.

I realized I didn't have the privilege to read good children's books like this. Instead, I learned about parenting, bit by bit, hoping that one day I could be a good parent and facilitate my child to be themselves.

This book really relates to the issues I've experienced. I like the analogy of the shell and Eunice's explanation of how we change when we become different and how people around us ridicule us, trying to "fix us" to remain the same as them. I understand that stepping out of the comfort zone is not easy.

Some great quotes I captured in this book:

- "About once a year for the past few years. I learn and think about things and grow. Change hurts. Doing something new is uncomfortable. But If I don’t molt, I’m too big inside to be who I was, so I have to molt even when it hurts a bit,” said Campbell.

- “Well, the truth is it’s very hard to figure out when to accept yourself and when to try harder. Part of growing up is figuring out which social rules are good and which ones Are not,” said Campbell.

- “Any social rule that makes you feel worthless for something you can’t control probably needs to go.”

I like the part where she uses examples in this book to address our life problems related to self-acceptance. As a psychotherapist, she explains the solutions well. She also provides some sections for discussion and problem-solving; this book can be used as discussion material by parents and teachers.

The struggle when Edwin finally dares to be different from his parents. I feel it personally, and I know it's not easy to feel like that. I like the resolution of the conflict from the story.

Regarding its theme as a children's book, I like the part where she adds characters who can speak foreign languages and characters that remind us of proverbs or phrases. This is very suitable for enhancing the knowledge of young readers.

I give this book a rating of 5/5. Perhaps someday when I have children, I want them to read this book too.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

This is a nice review. The topic about self acceptance for kids isn't a topic you can find in other book for kids. Thanks for writing this
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:48 This is a nice review. The topic about self acceptance for kids isn't a topic you can find in other book for kids. Thanks for writing this
Sure. Thanks for commenting on my review :)
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

So sad the reviewer had to pass through bullying to be able to write this awesome review, it is heartbreaking for one parents to always put the blame on the child without knowing this affects the child psychologically in one way or the other.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your empathy. Indeed, those were not easy times, but that's also the reason I want to learn about psychology and parenting. It could be said that this is a blessing in disguise.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

I read this book two and I enjoyed the crabs story. He is told his while life that he is a fish and yet he is a crab. When he learns who he truly is, he embraces this and joins other crabs. I also loved the self help words at the end of the book
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 03:13 I read this book two and I enjoyed the crabs story. He is told his while life that he is a fish and yet he is a crab. When he learns who he truly is, he embraces this and joins other crabs. I also loved the self help words at the end of the book
True. This book is good, especially towards the end when it provides guidance for parents and children on how to help children accept themselves.

Thank you for your response.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Laney K »

Self acceptance is such an important topic for children. Growing up, being different from other children is horribly difficult, so books such as this that address these issues are important.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:48 This is a nice review. The topic about self acceptance for kids isn't a topic you can find in other book for kids. Thanks for writing this
Yes. If you have some recommendations related to this topic, I would gladly to hear your recommendations and feel free to discuss it with me in this forums
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

Sure. I will recommend and discuss more in this forum when I get the related books to tell
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Sorry to hear you were bullied at school; I was, too, so I can relate. If books like this had been available back then, the situation may not have been as bad. Today's kids are fortunate to have access to this kind of material.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Consider It Done by Akomolede Oladapo Amos
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 540%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thank you very much for your review. I enjoyed this book too. Thanks for sharing part of your life with us.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”