Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Young children and adults constantly face the undue pressure of fitting into a society they do not belong to. Children sometimes feel left out of the group when they are different from others in some way. A lot of them are burdened by the pressure of their parents’ and society’s expectations. Not Fishy Enough: A Ridiculous Parable About Finding Worth Through Self-Acceptance by Briton Kolber brings forth a highly relatable protagonist, Edwin, who struggles with similar issues as most of us.

Edwin lives in a small tidal pool with his adoptive parents. Edwin is not like everyone. His fins are unusual and "grabby," and he can’t swim like other fish. He is “not fishy enough." His parents and his best friend Riley camouflage him with shells and seaweed to make him look like other fish and to make sure he fits in. Edwin always feels out of place, but he tries extremely hard to fit in to live up to the expectations of his parents. Will Edwin succumb to the ways of his world, or will he dare to discover his true potential and accept his differences?

Sea urchins, clams, sculpins, pufferfish, octopuses, whales, and several other sea creatures immerse the reader deep into the ocean. Illustrations in this book help in that regard too. They are lovely, but not colorful. That is a downside, but on the other hand, it definitely helps readers to imagine. Therefore, I do not find this point worthy enough of a star deduction.

The discussion section at the end of the story helps in addressing readers’ doubts, fears, and questions that we often bury to fit in. The author also sheds light on some situations in the book and underlines the deeply hidden philosophical gems of overcoming the fear of the unknown, accepting yourself, and the meaning of true friendship. For instance, Riley supports Edwin to fit in their community but fails to encourage him to be himself. She later realizes that supporting Edwin to be himself is what she has to do as a friend.

This is a well-edited book. I could barely find any errors. I would like to give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars for the lessons of self-acceptance and the courage to do so. I also appreciate the author for making sure to present sensitive topics such as religion and culture in an inoffensive manner. Adults and children from ages 10 and above will enjoy this story and the lessons embedded in it.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Self Love : Journal Your Journey by Natalie Bears

Post by Gerry Steen »

Having read this book, I completely agree with everything in this review. The parable of Edwin and his struggles to find his identity and self-acceptance was an enjoyable, easy, and thought-provoking read. Briton Kolber is a skilled writer. This book will help and entertain a lot of people whether they be young or older. :techie-studyinggray:
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Hi Runan! What an adorable book. Adoption, a tide pool, and grabby fins, this story sounds like it has lots of cute teachings. What a wonderful and thorough review. Great job 👏 I will be suggesting this book to everyone I know. Thanks for the recommendation.
Anaïs Quesson
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-s-quesson.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Anaïs Quesson »

Not Fishy Enough sounds like a wonderful children's book with great teachings about self-acceptance. Congratulations on this thorough review, Runan!
Anaïs - she/her

"No nightingales. You idiot. We could have been... us."
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

As a fellow reader, I can resonate with your experience while reading this book. I agree with most of your perspectives here, that this book is well-written. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Glad we can resonate in the book reading experience here.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”