Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Re: Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

I enjoyed reading this book as much as I enjoyed reading your review, Gerry. Your feedback is absolutely spot on; you really did justice to both the book and the author. It's a lovely parable, as you said, for both kids and adults. Well done! All the best!
Abdullah Fawmi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-fawmi.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Man by Jean-Michel Desire

Post by Abdullah Fawmi »

Seems like a very valuable book for both kids and the adults. Though I think living my life my way is better for me, I know so many who struggle with conformity and self acceptance. This is a nice book to read for all if I should say so. Thank you for the excellent review as always Gerry.
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I love parables that have a message inside. Edwin sounds like quite the character and one that many of us can relate to. Thanks for the great review, I'll add this one to my list.
Runan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Post by Runan »

I’ve read this book, and I enjoyed it as much as you did. The author put together a beautiful message with this story, and the discussion section really made me think about a lot of things. I agree with the author that sometimes we need to not conform ourselves to the rest of the people if it is hurting us miserably in doing so.
Runan
Mari Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mari-thompson.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Mari Thompson »

Self-discovery and self-help books are great, especially for young forming minds. Kids need these kinds of books so they can learn that everyone is different and that’s okay. Excellent review. Thanks for the five star recommendation.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

I never really fit in in so-called normal groups but never really cared for that. That's more difficult for people who can't find enough self-confidence and self-love when they're young, so a book that can offer them hope and inspiration is very welcome. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Susan Ledezma
Favorite Book: Bound by Firelight
Currently Reading: Light Filters In
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-ledezma.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 27%

Post by Susan Ledezma »

Gerry Steen wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 18:32 [Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you say that you feel like you don't belong in your family or a social setting? Do you pretend to be someone else to avoid disappointing others? Would you like to be able to love yourself and accept who you are? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read the book Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber.

Kolber authored a parable that explored the themes of self-discovery and self-acceptance. The parable revolved around Edwin, a peculiar fish, who grew up in a community and a family of fish that didn't resemble him. Frequently, he was subjected to teasing due to his physical appearance. His family and friends tried to help by getting him to camouflage his bizarre-looking parts with shells and other materials found in the sea. As he grew, he felt strange growing pains. His family and friends became concerned because he started to change. He wondered why he was different and if he belonged somewhere else. His parents and friends encouraged him to maintain the status quo and focus on being a fish. How did he respond to these pressures? You'll need to read the story to find out.

Kolber, a marriage and family therapist, has assisted many people struggling with social integration. Although classified as a children's book, Kolber wrote this parable to benefit both children and adults.

Edwin's journey toward self-acceptance is relatable to many people, considering the struggles he faced. Kolber challenges how nonconformists are treated by many cultures, religions, and people. Kolber makes an effort to avoid offending any particular culture or religion. He notes that people tend to fear change and those who are different. He questions whether we harm our children by insisting on conformity to avoid ridicule, shame, or rejection.

After concluding the parable, Kolber devoted the remainder of the book to elucidating its significance in terms of self-discovery and self-acceptance. Several themes were discussed with questions to encourage reflection on one's circumstances. Themes discussed included social pressure, shame, feeling unworthy, accepting how one's brain works, adoption, feeling out of place, and beliefs.

I enjoyed reading this book. Kolber is a skilled narrator. His prose is easy to read, and his storytelling flows seamlessly. I did not find anything negative in this well-written book. Therefore, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This book seems to be very well written and like an enjoyable read. The themes in the story are important ones that can lead to very critical thinking. Overall, it seems like a wonderful read. Thank you so much for the insightful review!
“Great books help you understand, and they help you feel understood.” -John Green :techie-studyinggray:
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The book highlights important themes of self-discovery and acceptance through Edwin's story. I appreciate Kolber's approach in addressing social integration issues, making it relatable for both children and adults.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

The book highlights important themes of self-discovery and acceptance through Edwin's story. I appreciate Kolber's approach in addressing social integration issues, making it relatable for both children and adults.
Claudia Angelucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Gerry Steen wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 18:32 [Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you say that you feel like you don't belong in your family or a social setting? Do you pretend to be someone else to avoid disappointing others? Would you like to be able to love yourself and accept who you are? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read the book Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber.

Kolber authored a parable that explored the themes of self-discovery and self-acceptance. The parable revolved around Edwin, a peculiar fish, who grew up in a community and a family of fish that didn't resemble him. Frequently, he was subjected to teasing due to his physical appearance. His family and friends tried to help by getting him to camouflage his bizarre-looking parts with shells and other materials found in the sea. As he grew, he felt strange growing pains. His family and friends became concerned because he started to change. He wondered why he was different and if he belonged somewhere else. His parents and friends encouraged him to maintain the status quo and focus on being a fish. How did he respond to these pressures? You'll need to read the story to find out.

Kolber, a marriage and family therapist, has assisted many people struggling with social integration. Although classified as a children's book, Kolber wrote this parable to benefit both children and adults.

Edwin's journey toward self-acceptance is relatable to many people, considering the struggles he faced. Kolber challenges how nonconformists are treated by many cultures, religions, and people. Kolber makes an effort to avoid offending any particular culture or religion. He notes that people tend to fear change and those who are different. He questions whether we harm our children by insisting on conformity to avoid ridicule, shame, or rejection.

After concluding the parable, Kolber devoted the remainder of the book to elucidating its significance in terms of self-discovery and self-acceptance. Several themes were discussed with questions to encourage reflection on one's circumstances. Themes discussed included social pressure, shame, feeling unworthy, accepting how one's brain works, adoption, feeling out of place, and beliefs.

I enjoyed reading this book. Kolber is a skilled narrator. His prose is easy to read, and his storytelling flows seamlessly. I did not find anything negative in this well-written book. Therefore, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Not Fishy Enough
This is a great review, Gerry, as usual! I've read and reviewed this book too, and I agree with you; it deserves 5 stars! It's an excellent read for both kids and adults. All the best!
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

I enjoyed this one too. I thought it was really apt how the book questions how we can harm our children when we insist on conformity.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Terry Kimble
Currently Reading: Web of Evil
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terry-kimble.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low

Post by Terry Kimble »

This little book sounds like it needs to be in every classroom in every middle school in the US! I have spent a lot of time with kids, and without fail, I notice that self-doubt and self-consciousness begin heavily around the age of 12. Watching little "glow bugs" become more inhibited and fearful of showing their authentic selves as they age saddens me. Society and mainstream media can be cruel, unrelenting, and ridiculous! We all seem to suffer from low self-esteem in one way or another. Thank you, Gerry, for a great review of what sounds like a helpful book for kids and maybe for all of us!
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Not Fishy Enough
There are many factors that, as an individual, make you feel out of place. It is important that they can feel identified with the story and the moral it presents. Thanks for your review.
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

I read the book and although I liked the way the author presented the story and the difficulty of adapting that Edwin went through.However, I did not prefer the second part of the book, as discussing some topics seems to me pushing certain ideas. Your review is as usual thorough and detailed Gerry.
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

This is such a relatable topic and I enjoyed the review

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”