Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Gerry Steen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Would you say that you feel like you don't belong in your family or a social setting? Do you pretend to be someone else to avoid disappointing others? Would you like to be able to love yourself and accept who you are? If you answered yes to these questions, you should read the book Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber.

Kolber authored a parable that explored the themes of self-discovery and self-acceptance. The parable revolved around Edwin, a peculiar fish, who grew up in a community and a family of fish that didn't resemble him. Frequently, he was subjected to teasing due to his physical appearance. His family and friends tried to help by getting him to camouflage his bizarre-looking parts with shells and other materials found in the sea. As he grew, he felt strange growing pains. His family and friends became concerned because he started to change. He wondered why he was different and if he belonged somewhere else. His parents and friends encouraged him to maintain the status quo and focus on being a fish. How did he respond to these pressures? You'll need to read the story to find out.

Kolber, a marriage and family therapist, has assisted many people struggling with social integration. Although classified as a children's book, Kolber wrote this parable to benefit both children and adults.

Edwin's journey toward self-acceptance is relatable to many people, considering the struggles he faced. Kolber challenges how nonconformists are treated by many cultures, religions, and people. Kolber makes an effort to avoid offending any particular culture or religion. He notes that people tend to fear change and those who are different. He questions whether we harm our children by insisting on conformity to avoid ridicule, shame, or rejection.

After concluding the parable, Kolber devoted the remainder of the book to elucidating its significance in terms of self-discovery and self-acceptance. Several themes were discussed with questions to encourage reflection on one's circumstances. Themes discussed included social pressure, shame, feeling unworthy, accepting how one's brain works, adoption, feeling out of place, and beliefs.

I enjoyed reading this book. Kolber is a skilled narrator. His prose is easy to read, and his storytelling flows seamlessly. I did not find anything negative in this well-written book. Therefore, I give it a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Absolutely agree with your thoughts on "Not Fishy Enough". I found myself equally captivated by Edwin's journey towards self-acceptance. It's a heartwarming story that beautifully touches on the themes of embracing our true selves and the challenges of fitting in. It was a truly enriching read. Thanks for sharing your insights, Gerry!
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Pioneering Nonprofit AI Initiatives: A Guide to Generational Diversity, Ethics, and Collaboration by Ainsley K. Hines
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

That's a fantastic review, Gerry. I love your style: you start with questions, which is exactly what the author does in his book. Brilliant!
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Jaituni Sanghavi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaituni-sanghavi.html
Latest Review: Chasing Tales by Christine J. Logan

Post by Jaituni Sanghavi »

This was a great book. I liked the concept of dividing the book into two parts: one, the story, and two, the self-reflection part. I enjoyed reading your review as well. I rightly agree with you on the point that this book would benefit both children and adults. Great review! :)
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

An awesome review! I am eager to read about what happened to Edwin. As you said, this book looks like it is both for adults and children.
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

I've always felt like I don't belong and I sometimes consider myself the blacksheeo of the family probably because I don't relate with anyone else. I hope to read this book because I think it will help me alot
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a person who has never really fit in with society’s vision of what is “normal.” I really don’t care what other people think of me, but that is not the case with everyone. The fact that this book tries to helps kids see that there is nothing wrong with not “fitting in” makes it worth a read. Thanks!
Kshitija Sonawane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kshitija-sonawane.html
Latest Review: Back to Bremo by Debby Hall
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Kshitija Sonawane »

This is such a relatable topic, and I believe that this needs to happen; these conversations need to happen. I am glad these are finally happening though. Good job with the review.
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

I agree with you completely, Gerry! Your review of "Not Fishy Enough" perfectly captures its depth and the importance of self-acceptance themes. Kolber's message resonated with me as well. Thanks for sharing such an insightful review!
RJ Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rj-reviews.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg
Reading Device: 1400697484
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 91%

Post by RJ Reviews »

I loved this book! The author spun a metaphor-rich story that will appeal to all. At one point or another, we all struggle with self-acceptance. This story shows us how important self-acceptance is and why we must find friends who encourage us to embrace ourselves. Thank you for your insightful review.
"The gods grow jealous of too much contentment anywhere, and they show their displeasure all of a sudden.” - R. K. Narayan, Maldudi Days
Tobi Adefila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobi-adefila.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Tobi Adefila »

Self-love is key. This is a book I would love to read. Thanks for this captivating review.
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Art of Being Difficult by William Chekhov

Post by Zanne Crystle »

I really appreciate your analysis of the book. I read this book myself and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed. The story of Edwin, though it may seem like a children's story, actually contains some very valuable lessons that can be applied to anyone's life. I especially liked how the book had a self-help and discussion section after the story, which made it stand out from other children's books. The way the author incorporated these sections really helped to reinforce the key takeaways from the story and provided actionable insights for readers. Overall, I think this book is a great read for both children and adults alike.
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 25 Mar 2024, 06:54 I've always felt like I don't belong and I sometimes consider myself the blacksheeo of the family probably because I don't relate with anyone else. I hope to read this book because I think it will help me alot
You will enjoy the story and the self-help section has many questions for you to ponder. I wish you the best. :techie-studyinggray:
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by Martina Sette »

I loved your review! However, I think there weren't enough illustrations. But it's a good book, exploring themes of self-acceptance and identity through a nice story.
Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-ann-riddern-labzentis.html
Latest Review: The Girls in the Hall by Tony Andras
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Post by Shirley Ann Riddern Labzentis »

I always enjoy your reviews. This sounds like a cute little book that I will have to look into for my grandchildren.
"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know which one you are going to get!"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”