Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leia Temple
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leia-temple.html
Latest Review: The Aspen Tree by Bart LaRocca

Re: Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Leia Temple »

I found it sad that Edwin could not find support within his own family and that they were reluctant accept him until much later in the book. This was a fantastic review on a book teeming with sensitive themes that children may deal with growing up. I loved your comments on how Kolber challenges the societal norm.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 2293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

The story seems like one similar to an ugly duckling. It's definitely an important message, especially to kids. I am going to pick it up myself soon. Great review!
Renee S
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by Renee S »

Gerry Steen wrote: 17 Mar 2024, 18:32 [Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]

Edwin's journey toward self-acceptance is relatable to many people, considering the struggles he faced. Kolber challenges how nonconformists are treated by many cultures, religions, and people. Kolber makes an effort to avoid offending any particular culture or religion. He notes that people tend to fear change and those who are different. He questions whether we harm our children by insisting on conformity to avoid ridicule, shame, or rejection.

Not Fishy Enough
Even I read and reviewed this one. I agree that Edwin was a relatable character, mirroring the struggles faced by many in their quest for authenticity. Overall, this was an entertaining and enlightening book. Thanks, Gerry, for your well-written review.
Creole
Favorite Book: Tales from the Gray Area
Currently Reading: Adoka Son: Childhood Memoirs of An African
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-creole.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Creole »

Your delightful review makes me want to journey with Edwin and discover how he changes. We all feel like Edwin at some point in our lives. It is good to have those on our side who encourage us. Sometimes, we must motivate and inspire ourselves and hope for the best. I hope it works out well for Edwin and those struggling for self-acceptance.
Julia Begeman
Favorite Book: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Currently Reading: Plunder
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julia-begeman.html
Latest Review: Truth and Evil by G. Edward Martin

Post by Julia Begeman »

Great review! This sounds like a very thoughtful book and worth a read
Joe Muriuki
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-muriuki.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joe Muriuki »

I like it that the reviewer recognizes the great work done by the author as fit for both children and adults. Through reading the review, one is left.eith no doubt that this book is a must read.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Ajain12 »

"Not Fishy Enough" sounds like a poignant exploration of self-discovery and acceptance, tackling themes of social pressure and embracing one's uniqueness. Kolber's narrative and insights make it a valuable read for both children and adults alike.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: The Awakening by Davina Reddic

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Some of your questions at the beginning of the review really resonate with me as I've often felt the same way. I agree with you that this book really relates to us at some point. The author wrote this book well, I wish I had found this book when I was younger. What a great review! Thank you for writing this.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Miriam Ratemo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-ratemo.html
Latest Review: Speedy Hurled Through Havoc by Dave Letterfly Knoderer

Post by Miriam Ratemo »

read this book myself and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed. The story of Edwin, though it may seem like a children's story, actually contains some very valuable lessons that can be applied to anyone's life. I especially liked how the book had a self-help and discussion section after the story, which made it stand out from other children's books. The way the author incorporated these sections really helped to reinforce the key takeaways from the story and provided actionable insights for readers. Overall, I think this book is a great read for both children and adults alike.
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

When I was young, the bullying I experienced was more about beauty standards. But I can understand the feelings of the characters in this story who are trying to adapt and be accepted. I hope more people become aware of the impact of bullying.
Elizabeth-Tush4Christ
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-tush4christ.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Elizabeth-Tush4Christ »

I like books that give kids valuable lessons; this one in particular shares such value. We're often faced with the reality of living up to people's expectations, and I am happy books like Not Fishy Enough are written. Thank you for such a great review as always.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”