Review of Opaque

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Review of Opaque

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign immerses readers in a deeply intriguing world where the complexity of the human mind intertwines with the mysteries of the supernatural. This novel captivates us with its darkly woven narrative and challenges our understanding of identity, power, and the shadows that lie within.

The book marks the initial entry in the Scion Saga series, focusing on the life of Adam, a teenager whose extraordinary experiences set him apart from his peers. His struggles are further complicated by his tumultuous relationship with his parents, especially his father, Mark, and highlight themes of rebellion and secrecy. Adam's life takes a pivotal turn with the arrival of Carly, a new student whose presence inexplicably intertwines with his own supernatural experiences and inner turmoil. Coming from a different background and dealing with her adjustments, Carly becomes both a mirror and a challenge to Adam's solitary existence. As their story progresses, Adam and Carly's interaction unveils a world where psychokinesis and deeper, darker secrets play a significant role. Their journey is fraught with challenges, not only from within as they confront their demons and desires but also from the external pressures of a society that fears and misunderstands their kind. Amidst navigating their complex emotions and the mysteries surrounding their abilities, they are thrust into a confrontation with forces that threaten to tear apart the fabric of their reality.

My enthrallment with the story was swift; it took merely six pages before I was utterly hooked. The dramatic flair of the chapter headings against the textured background sets a foreboding stage that echoes the narrative's intensity. What stood out to me was the author’s dedication to depth, as even characters that might be deemed secondary are presented with rich physical descriptions coupled with windows into their minds and emotional states. Calix Leigh-Reign employs a meticulous approach in constructing the tale's universe—slowly layering characters, settings, and a spectrum of sentiments—resulting in a world that feels tangibly real and balanced in its progression. The narrative is carefully paced, with chapters that feel evenly parceled out, each presenting its revelation and adding to the book's collection of twists. I was particularly delighted to discover a sneak peek into the next installment, Split Adam, which tantalizes with the promise of the journey’s continuation. Yet, it was Chapter 15, "The Descendants," that solidified my favoritism, where a group of teenagers comes to the forefront in a showcase of diversity and might. Here, Adam's discovery of his abilities reveals an unexpected immunity to the powers of others, hinting at an underlying potency yet to be fully unveiled. Alongside this, we see a new facet of Carly—her combativeness and fierce protection over Adam—which adds a layer of complexity and intrigue to her character.

I have no complaints about this book; I found every aspect to be thoroughly enjoyable, with nothing that detracted from my overall enjoyment. The pacing was perfect, the characters were well-developed, the plot was engagingly complex, the dialogue felt authentic, and the story's originality was captivating.

I highly recommend it to fans of young adult fiction who are drawn to stories rich with supernatural and psychological intricacies. It will especially resonate with those who favor narratives that delve into complex family relationships and personal discovery. The book's gradual and deliberate world-building, along with the deep exploration of its characters' inner lives, is sure to appeal to readers who love a story that takes its time to unfold. However, it's important to note that the novel addresses mature and sensitive subjects such as rape, torture, and murder, which may not be appropriate for all audiences. Given its mature themes, the book is more apt for older teenagers and adults.

In conclusion, Opaque stands as a formidable entrant in the realm of young adult fiction, masterfully blending supernatural intrigue with the raw complexities of human emotion. It’s a tale that both entertains and provokes thought, navigating through the labyrinth of adolescence with a narrative that is as profound as it is unpredictable. The book appears to be professionally edited, with very few grammatical issues. I wholeheartedly rate this 5 out of 5 stars because Opaque doesn’t just tell a story—it ensnares you in its world, holding you captive until the final page is turned.

Opaque
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Under The Elm by Ivana Christman
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

I'm intrigued by your review and will definitely add this book to my reading list. The intricate plot and well-developed characters promise an engaging read. Well done!
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

This book "Opaque" sounds very interesting to read. Your detailed description of this book is excellent! Definitely, I will add this book to my bookshelf.
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I appreciate your very thorough and well-written review. It does not sound like this book would be my cup of tea, but I am glad that you enjoyed it. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Priya Murugesan »

Your review sounds interesting. Added to my reading list!
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”