Review of A King Amongst Us

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Review of A King Amongst Us

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A King Amongst Us" by A.D. Lewis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis is a chilling, dark-fantasy thriller set up in the corrupted city of Sit-Nalta. Under King Augustus rule, the gauntlet, which is a gladiatorial tournament, is conducted to get rid of traitors who defied his rule. King Augustus used the tournament to instill fear among the people who intended to oppose him.

After the loss of his family and years of abuse, Titus finally rebelled against the king in an unplanned attack, only for his life to hang in the balance at the gladiatorial tournament. Entrenched with a desire for revenge, Titus keeps winning the championship and secures himself the titles of “The Raven” and “The Messenger." Meanwhile, Queen Dalia withholds a sensitive, dirty secret about King Augustus that could dethrone him. She revels in her coveted position of power and affluence and, therefore, chooses to turn a blind eye to the king’s secret. On one planned occasion,Titus takes a chance at one of his fights and flings the falx at King Augustus. The falx betrayed Titus, grazing King Augustus only a little. Mired in the brutal consequences of the event, what will Titus do? Will he succeed in his revenge or fall to a staggering death?

Power, lust, and greed ravage the city of Sit-Nalta. Titus’s perseverance is an odd trait in this city. Conspiracies are flying around in this city, and Titus is not the only one planning. The author’s descriptive narrative of the set-ups in the story made it easy for me to visualize the imaginative world of Sit-Nalta with ease. The author wrote limited dialogue in this story but executed it perfectly where necessary. I was shocked by the sudden changes at a critical juncture of the story, and from that point, the story traveled a strange path, which I have mixed feelings about. The twists are what made me stick with this book, but witchcraft did not quite seamlessly blend with the story. The author penned an open-ended ending to this story and left much for the readers to imagine. Personally, I prefer a clear conclusion to this story, especially after the surreal events that took place.

Overall, this book, with minimal editing errors and gripping suspense, makes for a decent read. However, I cannot neglect the above-mentioned points. I give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 stars for that reason. I recommend this book to adults who enjoy reading fantasy and suspense genres.

A King Amongst Us
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

I agree with everything you wrote in this review. I enjoyed the story in this book. The author wrote the story efficiently. I received just as much entertainment out of this novella, as I would have recieved from a book of 300 pages. The twists at the end, threw me off a bit, but did not bother me as much as you. I was rooting for The Messenger through the whole book. :techie-studyinggray: Great review!
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

It seems a very interesting book, so I think I'll read it one day. great review!
Martina Sette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

It seems a very interesting book, so I think I'll read it one day. great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”