Review of The MISOGI Method

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Mountain Wave by Joe Albea, Nathan Summers

Review of The MISOGI Method

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MISOGI Method" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book begins with a narrative about the misogi culture in Japan, delving into how our lives are intertwined with rituals, including those for starting new moments, new days, or seeking fortune.

It recounts the concept of misogi, this culture of self-cleansing, ranging from standing beneath waterfalls to the transformed misogi culture through simple activities like temizu.

Coincidentally, during my visit to Hokkaido, I stopped by a Shinto shrine and performed temizu. I believe my courage to attend the conference at that time could also be likened to a misogi ritual, a cleansing and pursuit of new goals in life.

Misogi in this book gradually evolves in modern times as a challenge to push ourselves beyond our comfort zones. I appreciate the explanation about the need for a healthy level of stress to maintain well-being and be open to new opportunities in life.

Misogi in this book is not just about physical challenges but also about overcoming our daily mental and psychological barriers. It also teaches us to better understand ourselves before determining our next steps. The author's background from science to social science also serves as tangible proof of the power of misogi. Life is not routine, and daring to step out of our comfort zones is essential in life.

The book is well-written and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing. It also includes reminders for journaling while observing ourselves during the misogi challenges in the book. Additionally, it provides summaries and reflection questions to help readers internalize the process. It would be even better if there were some form of guidance from the author or expert psychologists to help readers implement the book's goals in changing their habits.

I rate this book 3 out of 5. One reason is that reading this book is also a form of misogi; many parts are irrelevant and require struggle to get through. Nearly half of the book consists of the author's podcast transcripts, which require effort and perseverance to read. If someone lacks the patience to read them, they might stop reading halfway through. It would be better if these podcasts or recordings were simply provided as links to YouTube so people could listen to them easily.

However, I disagree with some criticisms of self-help books, suggesting that they overlook the fact that people are born with different privileges and systemic oppression. While we are indeed born with different privileges, I believe the role of self-help books is not akin to a wish-fulfilling genie bottle but rather to provide advice that helps us focus on changing what is within our control. Therefore, I appreciate the presence of this book because it contains many insights into surpassing comfort zones and avoiding victim mentality.

The MISOGI Method
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

Japanese, Korean, and East Asian cultures have always been interesting topics for me. The title of this book caught my eye, and after reading your review, I'm even more convinced that I want to read it. Thank you for writing this.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your response, @abrianih. If I come across similar books, I'll let you know.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Stephen Christopher 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 52%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

The Misogi Method sounds intriguing and something I feel that I can relate to. I agree with you about podcast transcripts, they can be very difficult to engage with, I like your idea that the author provides links instead.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 03:48 The Misogi Method sounds intriguing and something I feel that I can relate to. I agree with you about podcast transcripts, they can be very difficult to engage with, I like your idea that the author provides links instead.
Yeah. It better when she provide the links. Reading this book itself can be a kind of misogi when we need to read the conversation that take the half of the book. Thanks for replying :D
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Julie Basil
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Currently Reading: Launchpad Republic
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-basil.html
Latest Review: Voices from a Forgotten Letter by Seif-Eldeine
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Julie Basil »

I have also read this book and agree that parts of it were quite tedious. Keep up the good work!
"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly, what's essential is invisible to the eye." ~ Antoine St. Exupery
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Consider It Done by Akomolede Oladapo Amos
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 560%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Thanks Tomy for your review. I appreciate your personal story in Hokkaido. It makes the book more relatable to you and the readers.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 47%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Thank you for your insights of this particular book, which I may struggling bit on whether to select or not because of intense method or practices. Putting across the consequences, which definitely help people like me to check whether we are ready to read some tough books. Thank you the review.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Julie Basil wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 18:04 I have also read this book and agree that parts of it were quite tedious. Keep up the good work!
Sure. Thank you for giving your thoughts on my review. Glad that it could help.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Cristiano Bellucci wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 04:20 Thanks Tomy for your review. I appreciate your personal story in Hokkaido. It makes the book more relatable to you and the readers.
Yeah. It's a once in life time experience. Glad that it could help you .
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 23:32 Thank you for your insights of this particular book, which I may struggling bit on whether to select or not because of intense method or practices. Putting across the consequences, which definitely help people like me to check whether we are ready to read some tough books. Thank you the review.
Yeah. Some books are not like walking in the park jobs. They sometime feel like chores that give us many to do lists and it can be heavy for us sometimes. Glad it could help
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Uma gupta »

This review succinctly captures the essence of the book, highlighting its strengths while acknowledging any minor shortcomings, ultimately recommending it to a wide audience.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Uma gupta wrote: 01 May 2024, 07:45 This review succinctly captures the essence of the book, highlighting its strengths while acknowledging any minor shortcomings, ultimately recommending it to a wide audience.
Thanks for replying. Glad it can help you and providing some insights.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Love Slave to the Mafia Boss's Passion by Real Fantasies
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. Your review offers a deep exploration of the concept of misogi and its relevance in modern life. It's fascinating to hear about your personal experience with temizu and how it relates to the themes discussed in the book. Your insightful commentary on the need for a healthy level of stress and the importance of pushing beyond comfort zones resonates deeply. While you acknowledge the book's strengths in content and editing, you also provide constructive feedback on the inclusion of podcast transcripts.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Tomi Ahmed wrote: 02 May 2024, 13:46 Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book. Your review offers a deep exploration of the concept of misogi and its relevance in modern life. It's fascinating to hear about your personal experience with temizu and how it relates to the themes discussed in the book. Your insightful commentary on the need for a healthy level of stress and the importance of pushing beyond comfort zones resonates deeply. While you acknowledge the book's strengths in content and editing, you also provide constructive feedback on the inclusion of podcast transcripts.
Thank you for your reply. I believe providing balanced comments and responses is important because as part of the indie publishing ecosystem, we need to help advance independent authors.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”