Review of Niching Up

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Review of Niching Up

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Niching Up" by Chris Dreyer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I still remember one book I read about the importance of encouraging young people to start making choices. Generally, during the quarter-life crisis, making decisions can be daunting for young people.

Choosing one thing means sacrificing opportunities for others, and for us as young people, it feels like sacrificing freedom.

All media channels urge us to become something. Be a writer, be a ruler, be an influencer, study abroad, be an online shop affiliate, let's be the owners of passive income with crypto, and many more.

This book came at the right time, when I was in the midst of a quarter-life crisis and had just decided to focus on one theme. I like this book, which seems to go against the tide, asking everyone to be everything.

It realistically narrates the drawbacks of choosing a niche, such as a smaller market, the need for harder relationship-building efforts, the potential to open up new competition, a lack of diversity in your work, the instability of the niche market, and much more.

I briefly read a book opposite to this one (it even recommended this book here), which suggests the importance of people trying out various fields before choosing expertise.

Before you niche, you need more experience so you can identify which niche offers the best opportunities for you. In the beginning, before you decide to niche, you should start broader by gaining more experience in your desired industry. You may not know if networking offers the advantages that you need or if there is a true opportunity until you really understand the industry or market that you’re in.

It's important to have a broad understanding of the field before determining whether we are suitable for that niche or not. This may be like dating or finding the right psychologist.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because it gave me many insights into choosing a niche with engaging, simple, and easily understandable delivery. The concept of a niche within a niche that we can only know after having knowledge in the field provides good insights for me, who is still in this searching phase. And most importantly, it reminds me to believe in the path I choose and to be consistent with it.

Even if I hadn't read the book, I would think this was a book titled "How to Do Effective Pitching and Business." It allowed me to see the benefits of networking, such as pricing, building credibility, and establishing strong relationships.

As you know, there's a cap on your market. But because you become an expert, because you niche, you can have greater conversions and raise your price.

However, I feel that in this book, you need to add more facts beyond your own experiences. The terms or movie analogies you use as references are also somewhat difficult to understand for people who are not familiar with them or have never watched them. It would be better if you used more common analogies so that people can understand it better.

Niching Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

For someone who's faced a quarter-life crisis, I think your review does a great job discussing career choices. I agree with your point about the importance of exploring many things before focusing on one. Thank you for your review.
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Oh, could you tell me the name of the book that is the antithesis of this one, discussing the importance of knowing many fields and being a generalist? Thank you.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

The book's title is "Range," and it has a key image on the cover with a green background. Hope that helps.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

I have searched and looked at some reviews regarding the books you suggested. It's a great suggestion for me, as I'm also helping my friends and siblings who have just graduated from high school to explore their passions more. Thank you for the recommendation.
Anozie Stephanie
Currently Reading: Summer's Promise
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anozie-stephanie.html
Latest Review: life.............connected by jacksel

Post by Anozie Stephanie »

Read this book and I support the writing of the reviewer, better understanding in what you want to do in business is mandatory to succeed in the business, if you don't have better understanding, you miss some procedures to succeed.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Anozie Stephanie wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 01:27 Read this book and I support the writing of the reviewer, better understanding in what you want to do in business is mandatory to succeed in the business, if you don't have better understanding, you miss some procedures to succeed.
Thank you for your response. I agree that knowing how to do something well is always an important foundation for everything. This book provides a good insight for me as I am still learning to understand my goals in life.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

O definitely enjoyed this book and one thing I learnt is how to build myself as a brand instead if the company I work in. I am glad you liked it too
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 03:10 O definitely enjoyed this book and one thing I learnt is how to build myself as a brand instead if the company I work in. I am glad you liked it too
I agree with you. Our selves are also a brand, and we need to learn how to develop our personal branding. Thank you for giving your thoughts on this writing :D
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Gerry Steen »

Your honest review outlines salient points provided by this book and your opinion on changing the types of examples offered by the author. You gave this book a rating of 5 out of 5. I must say I agree with you. I read this book also and found it to be informative and interesting. :techie-studyinggray:
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 22:00 I have searched and looked at some reviews regarding the books you suggested. It's a great suggestion for me, as I'm also helping my friends and siblings who have just graduated from high school to explore their passions more. Thank you for the recommendation.
Sure. Feel free to discuss it with me when you have the time. You can also check on Designing Your Life book which tell the same about looking for our passion and dream life's.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 11:24 Your honest review outlines salient points provided by this book and your opinion on changing the types of examples offered by the author. You gave this book a rating of 5 out of 5. I must say I agree with you. I read this book also and found it to be informative and interesting. :techie-studyinggray:
You're right. This book is interesting, one that I might read again when I'm struggling with career and life choices. Thank you for your response, Gerry! :D
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:26
Abriani H wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 22:00 I have searched and looked at some reviews regarding the books you suggested. It's a great suggestion for me, as I'm also helping my friends and siblings who have just graduated from high school to explore their passions more. Thank you for the recommendation.
Sure. Feel free to discuss it with me when you have the time. You can also check on Designing Your Life book which tell the same about looking for our passion and dream life's.
Sounds great. I see that the writer had some kind of class that based on the book in Stanford. are you sure this is not some kind of motivational self help book that telling you to follow your heart or something like old boomer motivational tips without some practical advice to follow? I hope that's not that kind of book
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:50
Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:26
Sounds great. I see that the writer had some kind of class that based on the book in Stanford. are you sure this is not some kind of motivational self help book that telling you to follow your heart or something like old boomer motivational tips without some practical advice to follow? I hope that's not that kind of book
Of course not. I also avoid that kind of book. This is a interesting book that will provide you some kind of framework to do your own research about your future life. You can check the review on the YouTube
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will surely check on it when I have time. Good luck with your career on here

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”