Review of Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya-murugesan.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Review of Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid

Post by Priya Murugesan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid" by Dr. Rachel Sims.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

This book is an extensive guide to dating, relationships, and marriage. The author presents a collection of myths about love and marriage that have been imbibed within us for years and then debunks them. 

Every chapter has an interesting heading, and the little drawing behind the heading is cute. The book starts with dating and travels towards marriage. The author delivers her message with interesting little real-life stories. I found many fascinating and funny quotes all over the book, which I enjoyed a lot.

“Love is a lot like a toothache, it doesn’t show up
on x-rays, but you know it’s there.”
– George Burns

“Love is like taking a walk in the park. Jurassic Park.”
– Anonymous

Many of her notions were very intriguing. In the beginning, the author declares that love shouldn't be celebrated once a year but should be a daily event. She also states that we constantly learn from birth, and our environment decides our character and how we take on love. She emphasizes the importance of self-love throughout the book. She also cautions us against expecting perfection in our lives. This hurts not only our romantic lives but also other aspects of life. She disproves the myth that there is a perfect match—the notion imprinted in our hearts from watching romantic films. Her comparison of finding a date to buying a first car on a budget made me smile. She advises us against playing cat-and-mouse games while dating. If we like someone, we should be upfront and confident and not play the waiting game. 

I appreciate her views on the term 'opposites attract'. It is a misinterpreted term that is widely used. She clarifies that we might be different from our mates, but there is an attraction because of our core similarities. 

Another problem we face while dating and in relationships is the advice we get from family and friends. The author's take on tackling advice from friends and family while establishing personal boundaries provides a solution.

She asserts that trust is the basis for a healthy relationship. To maintain that, setting some rules and communicating are very important. Her views about arguments in a relationship are so valid. I was intrigued by the "good enough" theory and the "win-win situation." That little anecdote about Walter's speech moved my heart. I relished reading the takeaway that is presented after each myth.

She gives many valuable pieces of advice to the couples. She orders us to see each other as enhancements, not replacements. Many people might want to spend every moment with their partners after getting into a relationship. She sternly remarks that this is unhealthy, and one must also have friends, family, and personal time. 

I loved the definition the author provides for marriage. She says marriage is not about making each other happy but about adding to one's happiness. One shouldn't try to change each other and should learn to live in a new way as one unit. She also adds that love is a place to be vulnerable and supported. Love will never hurt us or make us fight constantly, and there is no place for fear in love. She urges us to seek help from a therapist or a friend if we ever feel like that in a relationship.

My perception is that this book will help the couple when both are trying to fix their relationship. If it is just one of them trying or the issue is more complex, the book suggests seeking help from a therapist. 

I noticed only one error. Other than that, the editing of the book is exceptional. The content seems repetitive at times. But that is just a minor issue. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and gained valuable insights regarding my married life. It is very refreshing to see all the myths busted. So my rating is 5 out of 5. I recommend this book to all readers stepping on or already into the dating, relationships, and marriage world.

Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
In a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
Martina Sette
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-sette.html
Latest Review: Involuntary Reroute by Robert Laney
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 126%

Post by Martina Sette »

This book sounds super interesting. The way it discusses love and relationships intrigues me. Great job!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Martina Sette wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 10:57 This book sounds super interesting. The way it discusses love and relationships intrigues me. Great job!
Thanks for reading my review! Try this book. You might like it😊
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

I have been married for 4 decades. It will be interesting to read this book just to compare the author's advice with my experience. I really feel sorry for those that are lonely and are always seemingly trying too hard to find the perfect mate. It sounds like this book can address their predicaments. Great Review! :techie-studyinggray:
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Gerry Steen wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 13:26 I have been married for 4 decades. It will be interesting to read this book just to compare the author's advice with my experience. I really feel sorry for those that are lonely and are always seemingly trying too hard to find the perfect mate. It sounds like this book can address their predicaments. Great Review! :techie-studyinggray:
Wow! Married for 4 decades! I am waiting eagerly to see your comparison :D
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

That was a clear-cut, precise review. I like how each of your favourite part was highlighted. The book sounds like a great relationship advice book and I like how detailed the author explained.
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Lunar gate wrote: 29 Mar 2024, 04:22 That was a clear-cut, precise review. I like how each of your favourite part was highlighted. The book sounds like a great relationship advice book and I like how detailed the author explained.
Thanks a lot for stopping by and reading my review.
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

That's a fantastic and very clear review. I read this book some time ago, but your review is certainly much more detailed than mine! I didn’t agree with some of this author's views, but that's just me—a very awkward person, haha! It was a pleasure to read your review. All the best!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Claudia Angelucci wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 17:48 That's a fantastic and very clear review. I read this book some time ago, but your review is certainly much more detailed than mine! I didn’t agree with some of this author's views, but that's just me—a very awkward person, haha! It was a pleasure to read your review. All the best!
Thanks a lot for your appreciation :D
Anu Anand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anu-anand.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Anu Anand »

Great review, Priya! I've also read this book and completely agree with your insights. The author skillfully debunks myths about love and relationships, and I liked her writing style with a touch of humor. Your review captures the essence of the book perfectly. Well done!
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Anu Anand wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 08:24 Great review, Priya! I've also read this book and completely agree with your insights. The author skillfully debunks myths about love and relationships, and I liked her writing style with a touch of humor. Your review captures the essence of the book perfectly. Well done!
Thanks a lot Anu :)
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Great review! I've read this book too. The in-depth examination of marriage, covering aspects such as emotional detachment, the importance of compromise, and the reality of divorce, really resonated with me.
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

Gerry Steen wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 13:26 I have been married for 4 decades. It will be interesting to read this book just to compare the author's advice with my experience. I really feel sorry for those that are lonely and are always seemingly trying too hard to find the perfect mate. It sounds like this book can address their predicaments. Great Review! :techie-studyinggray:

Four decades! That's incredible! Could you share your secret with us, please?
Priya Murugesan
Currently Reading:

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 02:08 Great review! I've read this book too. The in-depth examination of marriage, covering aspects such as emotional detachment, the importance of compromise, and the reality of divorce, really resonated with me.
Thanks for taking your time and reading my review 😊

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”