Review of It's Hard to Be a Vampire

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Runan
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-runan.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 150%

Review of It's Hard to Be a Vampire

Post by Runan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It’s Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust is a collection of short tales of horror and dread. The stories start on a pleasant note, and slowly they turn spooky, eerie, and cold. As the story unfolds, readers find themselves in jitters, and at the end of the story, they will be left with a feeling of uneasiness.

“It’s Hard to Be a Vampire” is the first story in this book. Sandra collides with a strange man on the street. She follows him, and to her horror, she watches him turn into a cloud of fog. Out of curiosity, she waits for him over the next few days and follows him. As it turns out, he is a vampire. Sandra desires to be a vampire and relays her wish to the vampire stranger. The handsome stranger, Alphonso, asks her to lose weight to show him how serious she is. Sandra is up for the challenge and is determined. But fate has something else in store for Alphonso and Sandra. Grab this book to find out more.

Not all of the stories are about vampires, but nearly all of them depict murderous rage and gore. One such story is titled "Narcissus," which is about a girl who is self-obsessed with herself to the point where she feels others are not worthy enough to even compliment her. This story takes a chilling turn when she meets a guy on the streets of Dananh.

The author shifted the narrative perspective in all the stories. For some, this could be distracting. But for me, I found it refreshing. The author’s description of events is definitely not for faint-hearted readers, as they can get dizzy reading the violent atrocities. Although I enjoyed reading this book, I did not like certain aspects of it. Firstly, some stories felt like an extended sequence of an event instead of a full-fledged story. This made me feel like I was reading an unfinished story. Further, the characters in this novel are not well developed. For these reasons, I will be deducting a star from my rating.

This is a well-edited book with minimal errors. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to fantasy and fiction genre lovers. There are violent and gore scene descriptions in this book. Reader discretion is thus advised. Christians may find some parts of this book blasphemous, as there are descriptions of sacrilegious paintings of Christ in one of the stories.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Runan
Claudia Angelucci
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claudia-angelucci.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Claudia Angelucci »

Runan wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 10:56 [Following is a volunteer review of "It's Hard to Be a Vampire" by Viktoria Faust.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

It’s Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust is a collection of short tales of horror and dread. The stories start on a pleasant note, and slowly they turn spooky, eerie, and cold. As the story unfolds, readers find themselves in jitters, and at the end of the story, they will be left with a feeling of uneasiness.

“It’s Hard to Be a Vampire” is the first story in this book. Sandra collides with a strange man on the street. She follows him, and to her horror, she watches him turn into a cloud of fog. Out of curiosity, she waits for him over the next few days and follows him. As it turns out, he is a vampire. Sandra desires to be a vampire and relays her wish to the vampire stranger. The handsome stranger, Alphonso, asks her to lose weight to show him how serious she is. Sandra is up for the challenge and is determined. But fate has something else in store for Alphonso and Sandra. Grab this book to find out more.

Not all of the stories are about vampires, but nearly all of them depict murderous rage and gore. One such story is titled "Narcissus," which is about a girl who is self-obsessed with herself to the point where she feels others are not worthy enough to even compliment her. This story takes a chilling turn when she meets a guy on the streets of Dananh.

The author shifted the narrative perspective in all the stories. For some, this could be distracting. But for me, I found it refreshing. The author’s description of events is definitely not for faint-hearted readers, as they can get dizzy reading the violent atrocities. Although I enjoyed reading this book, I did not like certain aspects of it. Firstly, some stories felt like an extended sequence of an event instead of a full-fledged story. This made me feel like I was reading an unfinished story. Further, the characters in this novel are not well developed. For these reasons, I will be deducting a star from my rating.

This is a well-edited book with minimal errors. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to fantasy and fiction genre lovers. There are violent and gore scene descriptions in this book. Reader discretion is thus advised. Christians may find some parts of this book blasphemous, as there are descriptions of sacrilegious paintings of Christ in one of the stories.

It's Hard to Be a Vampire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The title of this book initially made me think it was for young adults! Ah! I understand now that it's not :shock: However, great review, Runan. I'm a fan of collections of short stories, and it's a bit of a shame about the underdeveloped characters. I've noticed that undeveloped characters seem to be a common downside with this genre. Nonetheless, it was a pleasure to read your review. All the best!😊
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey

Post by Sarah Zain »

The title caught my interest. A collection of short stories about vampires, but from your review I learned that not all of them are like that. I am not a fan of violence, if its pace was less, I would have given the book a chance. Your review gave me a clear idea about the contents of the book without spoiling the events. Great review Runan
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Latest Review: EMA by Aian D. Grey
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

I have read so many reviews of this book. Based on your review, I am finally deciding not to read the book. The fact that there is a reliance on gore for entertainment and that some of the stories seem to be incomplete has helped me to make this decision. I appreciate your informative and honest review. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”