Review of Not Fishy Enough

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renee S
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Review of Not Fishy Enough

Post by Renee S »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Not Fishy Enough" by Briton Kolber.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In "Not Fishy Enough," author Briton Kolber tells a story of self-discovery, followed by a commentary and discussion section. The story follows Edwin, mislabeled as a fish when he's not one, as he learns to accept his true self. The author uses the story to make a point, i.e., finding worth through self-acceptance, which is discussed in the latter half of the book. While the story is meant for kids over 8, the self-help guide in the second part is for those who care about them.

I enjoyed the book for its simple yet engaging language. The story's themes of identity, acceptance, and the courage to embrace one's true self will resonate with many. Kolber's illustrations complement the story nicely. Edwin emerges as a relatable protagonist, mirroring the struggles faced by many in their quest for authenticity. Also, I learned an interesting thing about the octopus’s brain. The brain of an octopus is scattered throughout its body, so each arm tentacle has its own mini-brain and can do its thinking and act independently.

The commentary section covers a range of thought-provoking topics, including feeling worthless, social pressure and expectations, shame and feeling unworthy, self-criticism and critical thinking, doing the same thing harder or doing something differently, friendship, accepting your body, accepting how your brain works, adoption and feeling out of place, responsible comedy, accepting hidden talents, who we think we are and how it affects us, growing up in a small town, belief and religion, and the journey into the unknown. Through these discussions, Kolber encourages readers to reflect on their own experiences and perspectives.

While my overall experience with the book was positive, I did notice a few punctuation errors and one instance of redundant wording on page 93. "Not Fishy Enough" receives a rating of 4 out of 5 stars from me. For a book of its length (126 pages, including covers and illustrations), I am inclined to expect flawless editing. And because the book contains sensitive and serious topics, I would hesitate to leave it unattended with a young reader, as it could potentially confuse them. Aside from that, the book is a good blend of entertainment and enlightenment.

Not Fishy Enough
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gerry Steen
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

This is an honest and informative review of a wonderful book. From reading this book, like you I marveled at the fact that an octopus has a brain in each tentacle. Aside from this, I found this book can be entertaining for a child while being thought-provoking for an adult. :techie-studyinggray:
Renee S
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-s.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by Renee S »

Gerry Steen wrote: 27 Mar 2024, 13:20 This is an honest and informative review of a wonderful book. From reading this book, like you I marveled at the fact that an octopus has a brain in each tentacle. Aside from this, I found this book can be entertaining for a child while being thought-provoking for an adult. :techie-studyinggray:
Yes, the book is indeed entertaining as well as thought-provoking. Thanks, Gerry, for taking the time to read and leave a comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”