Review of From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Mountain Wave by Joe Albea, Nathan Summers

Review of From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream" by Janice S. Ellis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

As a fellow minority, I appreciate this book as it offers a profound perspective on life as a black woman in America. From racial and gender oppression to socioeconomic struggles and psychological terror inflicted by white individuals, Janice's journey is far from easy, yet she never backs down from life's challenges. She fearlessly confronts societal stigmas against women and asserts her rights as a black woman, even through her divorce, remaining resilient as a mother.

Janice is acutely aware of the racial and gender oppression around her, and as her friend in the book notes, she possesses a remarkable ability to articulate her experiences.

The book was professionally edited, and the author undoubtedly crafted the story well.

Nothing in this world comes free, not even freedom. Janice is willing to pay the price with her hard-fought struggles to attain it. She recognizes that her progress is not devoid of sacrifices made by both white and black individuals fighting for the basic rights of black people.

In her career and education journey, she even looks up to Walter Lippman as her inspiration, embracing the principles of advocacy journalism as her guide in catalyzing positive change in society.

Ultimately, she fully embodies the promise of the American dream through her own efforts and struggles. She even completes her doctorate studies as a widow burdened with dual responsibilities as a woman.

I give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 because it resonates with my experiences as a minority and is written descriptively and informatively. There are numerous lessons to be gleaned from this book, along with an understanding of the racial issues prevalent in America.

As a constructive note, I believe the author may need to discern which information is essential to add to the book. At times, there is an abundance of information and detail that may overwhelm readers. Nonetheless, I appreciate the wealth of information provided, enriches the narrative. Thank you for writing this book.

From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

As a sociologist and a woman, this book caught my eye as I'm also learning about how women experience racism issues. Your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this review.
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

If you come across books with themes focused on racism, especially racism and stigma against Muslims, Asians, or similar topics, please kindly remind me. :D
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:08 As a sociologist and a woman, this book caught my eye as I'm also learning about how women experience racism issues. Your review makes me even more eager to read this book. Thank you for writing this review.
Of course. Thank you for responding to my writing.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:09 If you come across books with themes focused on racism, especially racism and stigma against Muslims, Asians, or similar topics, please kindly remind me. :D
Sure. I'll let you know when there's a related topic.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Am guessing that this book is well researched due yo the abundance in information. Racism has existed for generations and it will always be there. I loved your review and reading your thoughts on it was interesting
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 02:57 Am guessing that this book is well researched due yo the abundance in information. Racism has existed for generations and it will always be there. I loved your review and reading your thoughts on it was interesting
Thank you for your response. I agree that racism will always exist, and this fact is indeed easily found anywhere, even in this digital era. Thank you for reading my review :)
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:09 If you come across books with themes focused on racism, especially racism and stigma against Muslims, Asians, or similar topics, please kindly remind me. :D
Maybe you can check on Jonathan heidt book, about why people divided by religion and politics. I think it's a good book. Hope it helps
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:23
Maybe you can check on Jonathan heidt book, about why people divided by religion and politics. I think it's a good book. Hope it helps
I have checked it just now. I think its a interesting book with some psychological approach about religion and politics. It kinda relevan for us, because we live in the social media age where people can be steers easily using this platform. It kinda shocked me when I see the Cambridge analytics case involved in this. Its a interesting book I think. Thanks for the recommendations
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:45
Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:23
I have checked it just now. I think its a interesting book with some psychological approach about religion and politics. It kinda relevan for us, because we live in the social media age where people can be steers easily using this platform. It kinda shocked me when I see the Cambridge analytics case involved in this. Its a interesting book I think. Thanks for the recommendations
Sure. Jonathan heidt's book always giving me goosebumps everytime I read the new facts there. You could see the film about Cambridge analytical too . I think you can search the movie name in YouTube with that keyword. Hope it helps
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Sure. Thanks for your recommendation. Will be on my next film to watch in Netflix.
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: Love Letters to the Virgin Mary by David Richards
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 49%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

Thank you the review. The book's based on personal journey will be always hit or miss kind, I'm glad that you liked this book and shared your wonderful experience with us.
Uma gupta
Currently Reading: Broken Faith
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uma-gupta.html
Latest Review: The Forbidden Man by Gerald R Knight
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 33%

Post by Uma gupta »

This review succinctly captures the essence of the book, highlighting its strengths while acknowledging any minor shortcomings, ultimately recommending it to a wide audience.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Uma gupta wrote: 01 May 2024, 07:42 This review succinctly captures the essence of the book, highlighting its strengths while acknowledging any minor shortcomings, ultimately recommending it to a wide audience.
Thank you for replying. I think we need to provide balanced comment between pro and cons. It will help to giving a good feedback so that the reader can get a better experience when reading the book. It also help to improve this indie publishing ecosystem :D.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomi Ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Love Slave to the Mafia Boss's Passion by Real Fantasies
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 37%

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

Thank you for sharing your insightful review of this book. It's evident that Janice's story resonates deeply with you as a fellow minority, offering a powerful perspective on the challenges faced by black women in America. Your appreciation for the author's ability to articulate Janice's experiences and the book's professional editing is noted. Your rating of 5 out of 5 reflects the book's impact and the valuable lessons it offers, despite the occasional abundance of information. Your feedback will undoubtedly be helpful to the author in refining future works.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”