Review of Wisdom

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: Winning at Leading Women In Leadership by Ronica Watkins, PhD

Review of Wisdom

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wisdom" by Arun mago.]
Book Cover
2 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This book sounds like a Sunday sermon or an elder giving life advice. Its delivery is quite practical and straightforward, with a bit of humor to make it engaging. 

The author incorporates many quotes and tips from various books, such as on public speaking, finances, and, interestingly, gender equality in politics.

The author provides several interesting mnemonics to help readers remember. One mnemonic that caught my attention is about anger:

Advantage
not
given but
effectively
returned.

He also writes a lot about business. Some parts that I find interesting are that he's not like some authors who glorify the superiority of businessmen over employees. He argues that business is not everyone's cup of tea, and I like this perspective.

The book was professionally edited. Its language is practical, simple, and easy to understand.

Unfortunately, I have to give this book a rating of 2 out of 5. Even for the self-help category, this book is considered subpar. The reason for this low rating is that the topics of some chapters are not focused; the discussion is too common-sense, not specific enough, and feels less original. The ideas presented also feel bland and too cliché.

Nevertheless, I gleaned some good quotes from it:

“Live in the present, not the past or future. The only thing you have in hand is the present; the past is gone, and the future is not here yet. Present time is the only gift you have; make the best of it.”

“Don’t make resolutions for the new year, but make permanent decisions for your life. Also, you need to change your'should'  into'must'.”

Some of his practical life views are interesting and relatable. He offers new perspectives on issues presented in simple and engaging language. Perhaps in the future, he could create a book with a more focused theme and more original content.

Wisdom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

Recently, I was interested in this book after seeing its title online. Luckily, I read your review and decided not to buy it. Thank you for this review.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:06 Recently, I was interested in this book after seeing its title online. Luckily, I read your review and decided not to buy it. Thank you for this review.
No problem. Im happy to help
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Risper Ouma Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Hmm, I liked your insightful review and I got to know most of the quotes were not original. Perhaps he got those that inspired him. I am reading this book next and I hope I will enjoy it
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 02:50 Hmm, I liked your insightful review and I got to know most of the quotes were not original. Perhaps he got those that inspired him. I am reading this book next and I hope I will enjoy it
Of course. I think this book is actually quite good. My assessment is just from a personal perspective and may not be suitable for everyone, as everyone's reading experience will be different. Thank you for your response.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Anjana Savita »

Nice review you mentioned both merits demerits of book also comment on editing and justify your rating well done
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Anjana Savita wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 03:43 Nice review you mentioned both merits demerits of book also comment on editing and justify your rating well done
Thank you for your reply. I believe providing balanced comments and responses is important because as part of the indie publishing ecosystem, we need to help advance independent authors.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Laney K »

The premise of the book sounds promising, but it is a shame the execution isn't there. Practical advise can tricky as being too specific or general both present issues.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Laney K wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 10:13 The premise of the book sounds promising, but it is a shame the execution isn't there. Practical advise can tricky as being too specific or general both present issues.
You're right. Ideas that aren't conveyed effectively can indeed be a problem in a book. While there's plenty of good advice to be found if implemented, there's also an element of aesthetics and literature in books, so people need to further develop their arguments in giving advice to readers.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

Tomy Chandrafrost wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 01:21
Laney K wrote: 28 Apr 2024, 10:13 The premise of the book sounds promising, but it is a shame the execution isn't there. Practical advise can tricky as being too specific or general both present issues.
You're right. Ideas that aren't conveyed effectively can indeed be a problem in a book. While there's plenty of good advice to be found if implemented, there's also an element of aesthetics and literature in books, so people need to further develop their arguments in giving advice to readers.
I agree with you. A well executed ideas that written well in the book will attract more readers. Sometimes people just don't like when they feel you giving them advice as if you are their nanny or something like that XD
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Yeah. I couldnt agree more with this. People this day, especially some older generation sometimes doesn't really know how to tell younger people advice. I mean the way they do it make us bored and don't want to listen anything to them sometimes
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Snow That Never Fell
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Photofinish by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Thanks for the honest review Tomy. There are so many self-help books on the market, I'm looking for something new and refreshing, not the same drivel rehashed. I'll skip this one for that reason, thanks for the heads-up.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 29 Apr 2024, 03:44 Thanks for the honest review Tomy. There are so many self-help books on the market, I'm looking for something new and refreshing, not the same drivel rehashed. I'll skip this one for that reason, thanks for the heads-up.
Sure. Every reader need to support each other by giving honest review about the book, not just some sugar coating comment like I see in some platform. Thank you for replying
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Harshitha Nayak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshitha-nayak.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 55
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by Harshitha Nayak »

This one is honest and this is what we expect reviews to be with truth, what's exactly we could benefit from the book. Your taken on the boo gives us freedom to choose whether we can dive into fo e reading experience due to less rating. Good thing is you appreciated about good thing also. Happy reading.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Harshitha Nayak wrote: 30 Apr 2024, 22:26 This one is honest and this is what we expect reviews to be with truth, what's exactly we could benefit from the book. Your taken on the boo gives us freedom to choose whether we can dive into fo e reading experience due to less rating. Good thing is you appreciated about good thing also. Happy reading.
Yeah, I think we need to be fair about the benefit and the comments on the book. It's our responsibility for being a wise reviewer because it affect on the whole ecosystem of the indie writer and publisher. Small things matter :D
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”