Review of UNEMPLOYABLE

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Review of UNEMPLOYABLE

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

[Following is a volunteer review of "UNEMPLOYABLE" by Alysia Edith Silberg.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Initially, I assumed this book would be about how AI would improve people's lives.

In the early part, I found myself wondering where the discussion about AI was. It focused more on her life story and tips for success.

However, I gradually began to enjoy the story. Following her tale of having her car stolen, her perspective as a privileged white person in Africa, and the unfair education system there. Until she started a home furniture business and eventually had to close it during the 2008/2009 financial crisis.

Eventually, she fought alongside her husband to pursue their dreams in Silicon Valley. The story of two underdogs struggling to raise funds as startup warriors until they became venture capitalists.

The story ends on a positive note as she becomes a VC, is successful, and speaks at the United Nations. As a woman discussing new technology like crypto, a topic typically dominated by men, the story is touching as her contributions lead to her receiving an "Einstein Visa," granted to talented immigrants, placing her on par with some Nobel laureates.

Despite not matching its title, the book portrays a painful reality: I, as a college graduate, agree that education alone isn't enough to guarantee a better life. This was illustrated by a passage in the book:

"I would regularly bump into my former students, doing their best to find a living as cashiers or sales consultants in retail stores. Sometimes I would see a graduate, in cap and gown, standing at a traffic light, holding up a cardboard sign displaying their qualifications, along with a plea for a job. Any job. It broke my heart. Education alone wasn’t enough to put them on the road to sustenance and success. Even with their university degrees, they would have to build their businesses if they wanted financial independence."

In the end, she provides an inspirational book recommendation, possibly as additional reading for inspiration.

This book is easy to read and has an amazing, flawless, and perfect editing.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 5 because the title and content don't align; the part about AI only seems to emerge halfway through the book. However, I also give it a 3 because I appreciate the author's struggles. The story is touching as her contributions lead to her receiving an "Einstein Visa," granted to talented immigrants, placing her on par with some Nobel laureates.

As feedback for this book, perhaps changing the title to something that describes the process of navigating through life would be better. Or perhaps highlighting her journey to becoming a venture capitalist and digital marketer in Silicon Valley, for example. A better title is crucial, as it will affect the reader's impression and expectations.

I see that she has changed the title to "How I Hired Myself." I believe this title is more fitting for the book, as it better describes her struggle to become better.

UNEMPLOYABLE
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: Do You Really Want To Know? by Kate Fraser

Post by Gerry Steen »

You wrote a thorough and fair review of this book. Thank you for pointing out that the title did not align with the gist of the book. You have prevented me from experiencing disappointment when I read this book. Hopefully, this book will inspire young people to try to be more resourceful and independent in finding their niche. Sometimes education ends up being for the sake of education. This book will guide young job seekers to be more proactive and independent. :techie-studyinggray:
Abriani H
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Abriani H »

This review is good. Thank you for pointing out that the book title doesn't align with its content, allowing us to better manage our expectations about this book.
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Maybe you could give your personal recommendation regarding books that discuss AI? Thank you.
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

@abriani H Of course. Gladly. For a book recommendation on AI, I don't have one at the moment. It might be better for you to search for keywords related to AI that you're interested in, like using ChatGPT for writing, and so on.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your response, @gerrysteen. You're right, sometimes education alone doesn't really help change social conditions. There are many factors influencing this, and I believe collective movements and efforts to advance social policies are crucial to addressing various social issues in society.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Tony, your review isn't the first I've read that suggests that the title doesn't match the content. As an AI user and fan I would have chosen this book, only to be disappointed. Thanks for pointing this out.
Risper Ouma Anyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-anyango.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids by Jemima Paul, Arvind Paul

Post by Risper Ouma Anyango »

Alright, this is quite a success story and I am intrigued by her and her husband. Making it in Silicon is really hard since the competition there is more than one can handle. I enjoyed your review. I am however curious about the title.
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Okay. Thanks for the recommendation
Currently I'm learning in making my review better with help of Ai atleast
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

@stephenchristopher1 Of course, I would be happy to help other readers experience the joy of reading.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 03:04 Alright, this is quite a success story and I am intrigued by her and her husband. Making it in Silicon is really hard since the competition there is more than one can handle. I enjoyed your review. I am however curious about the title.
The author has actually republished his book with a more appropriate title. You can find it on Google.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Abriani H wrote: 27 Apr 2024, 19:43 Okay. Thanks for the recommendation
Currently I'm learning in making my review better with help of Ai atleast
I also use AI for proofreading, like using the website Quillbot for grammar check. I don't think it's a problem as long as you actually read the book.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra
Abriani H
Currently Reading:

Post by Abriani H »

Wow. Thank you for the recommendation; I just found a website for proofreading that sounds quite good. Hopefully, this can improve the quality of my reviews on OnlineBookClub. What a great advice.
Anjana Savita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjana-savita.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Anjana Savita »

Nice review you mentioned both merits demerits of book also comment on editing and justify your rating well done
Tomy Chandrafrost
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Thank you for your reply. I believe providing balanced comments and responses is important because as part of the indie publishing ecosystem, we need to help advance independent authors.
Your Sincerely
Tomy Chandra

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”