Review of "Dumb" Orphans

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Bob and Bobbie and Other Short Stories by Derek Richard Fairey
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review of "Dumb" Orphans

Post by Diana Lowery »

[Following is a volunteer review of ""Dumb" Orphans" by Allan Low.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Allan Low's use of the word dumb in the title of his book strongly bothered me because his book is marketed as a YA book. The author does explain in the first few pages that the orphans are called dumb by the community because they can't afford to go to school. Even though the leaders ironically end up being the dumb ones as they are manipulated by these clever children, the title continued to upset me. Putting the word in quotation marks did not alleviate the offensive connotation.

Despite my initial aversion, "Dumb" Orphans held my interest, and I can see its educational potential for the intended audience. The short chapters make this a perfect choice for a nightly read-aloud activity. The possibilities for deep discussions are limitless and should start with the inappropriate slur in the title. The book is a trilogy, but all three parts are in this one book.

Book I, "Aiyasha's Bottomless Briefcase," introduces a group of five to seven-year-old orphans and their caregiver, Aiyasha, who is fifteen. Their daily struggles to find food and exist without an adult supervisor remind me of the Boxcar Children series. The proverb, "Necessity is the mother of invention," is demonstrated beautifully as the group overcomes many obstacles. This part of the book is narrated by Sipho, one of the orphans.

Book II, "Aiyasha's Appeal," continues the story but is narrated by a different orphan, Elah. He escapes to England with Aiysha where they attend a boarding school. This section has a Harry Potter feel but without the magic.

Book III, "Aiyasha's Magical Legacy," continues Elah's narration as the Bundu Bunch completes their college education. All the orphans chose degrees that enhanced their unique special gifts. Their partnership helps them to fulfill Aiyahsa's goal of improving conditions in her country. This theme bears a resemblance to Cry the Beloved Country.

In addition to the negativity of the title, the timeline has some issues. The ages of the children are inconsistent with the plot line. Also, the reading level of Book III might be too advanced for the YA level of the other parts of the book.

The benefits of the book outweigh the negatives, however. The exposure to southern African culture, the moral lessons portrayed, and the importance of family earn a rating of five out of five stars. The book contains no grammar errors. The illustrations add to the understanding of each chapter and will be enjoyed by all readers.

"Dumb" Orphans
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

The review sounds nice. When I read the title, I initially thought it referred to people who are non-verbal or hearing impaired.
PAMELA MUGENI
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by PAMELA MUGENI »

Review of dumb orphan
I read this story that was so touching about how children's rights are taken for granted.
While the society takes pride in other issues that are of little or no value. Right now the world is riddled with so much moral decay murder rape to name but a few. If the plight of children could have been taken seriously right as early as possible By this I mean. Much love and care as possible. Children could have learned from early what love is and practice. All this problems seen right now could not have been serious as it is.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Lunar gate wrote: 30 Mar 2024, 00:17 The review sounds nice. When I read the title, I initially thought it referred to people who are non-verbal or hearing impaired.
I agree that the title is misleading. Thanks for your comment.
Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-risper-ouma-lisa-anyango.html
Latest Review: Telling Your Story, Developing Your Brand by Henry Wong

Post by Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango »

Calling orphans dumb because they can't go to school us heartless and cruel. I am so touched by this review and I think I will be more touched when I read the book. I enjoyed your review though.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

As a former childcare provider, I realize that any sort of derogatory word directed at kids can cause permanent damage. The title of this book would probably keep a lot of the intended audience from picking it up no matter the contents. Thanks!
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Risper Ouma Lisa Anyango wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 10:04 Calling orphans dumb because they can't go to school us heartless and cruel. I am so touched by this review and I think I will be more touched when I read the book. I enjoyed your review though.
Thank you for your comment. I am glad you enjoyed my review.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Amy Luman wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 10:44 As a former childcare provider, I realize that any sort of derogatory word directed at kids can cause permanent damage. The title of this book would probably keep a lot of the intended audience from picking it up no matter the contents. Thanks!
Yes, Amy, I agree with you. It is hard to get past the title.
Loretta Morris 1
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

Yes, the title of the book is very offensive. The author gave a rich history of African culture which was great! My heart goes out to the orphans because they were mentally abused. Often, the orphans were teased by Meyego by calling the orphans "dumb" and making them feel like they are not important.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: Hunger of the Pine by Teal Swan

Post by Ajain12 »

Allan Low's book title, "Dumb" Orphans, initially troubled me for YA readers, but the engaging story's educational value, cultural exposure, and moral lessons earned it a 5-star rating.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Ajain12 wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 01:06 Allan Low's book title, "Dumb" Orphans, initially troubled me for YA readers, but the engaging story's educational value, cultural exposure, and moral lessons earned it a 5-star rating.
I agree with you on the value of the book.
Diana Lowery

Post by Diana Lowery »

Loretta Morris 1 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 15:47 Yes, the title of the book is very offensive. The author gave a rich history of African culture which was great! My heart goes out to the orphans because they were mentally abused. Often, the orphans were teased by Meyego by calling the orphans "dumb" and making them feel like they are not important.
I also enjoyed learning about African culture from reading this book. It was hard for me to realize that this story did not take place in the past.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”